Prius - II 8 years old, 126k. What mileage might I expect

Discussion in 'Toyota Prius Family' started by OriEri, Apr 16, 2012.

1. OriEri

OriEri David

In my quest to replace my deceased TDI VW (moment of silence for the fallen) in the short term while I await my 150mi range CODA later this year (not long enough for a real lease), I am looking at 126k 2004 Prius. Carfax shows the owner was very good about the regular maintenance, not accidents, etc. What sort of mileage performance can I expect given the middle-aged battery pack?

I would rather not drop on a $19k on a bioD burning TDI that I would end up reselling for a few thousand less in just 7 short months, but the mileage thing is very important to me so a non-hybrid 30mpg old gasser is not really an option.

2. Ophbalance

Ophbalance Administrator Staff Member

It depends? my 2005 usually gives me 55-65 depending on conditions.
  3. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

I wouldn't worry much about the age of the pack -- Prius pack failures are rare and it is typical to find the packs behaving like new at well over 200K miles.

If the car is a good price I'd go for it.
  4. diamondlarry

diamondlarry Super MPG Man/god :D

My '07 with 60K+ miles seems just as capable now as it did when I got it as evidenced by my 97+ mpg trip over ~13 miles this past Saturday morning and I wasn't even throwing everything into.
  5. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Well-Known Member

I think there are Prii with well more than 2X that mileage? If there are bad cells, they can be replaced individually.
  6. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

This is the important point: $3,500 is full OEM battery replacement cost at a dealer, but in the majority of cases I believe it's a cell or component failure. Even shipping to a battery rebuilder is cheaper than the dealer. (Oh how I long for a more electrified future).

In Silicon Valley you surely must have an abundance of independent garages that can work on hybrids.
  7. msirach

msirach Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be concerned about the pack at all. If it drives well, looks good, and the price is right, I would buy it. You should be able to get over 60mpg all day long easily IF you keep your speeds down. The gen II is geared lower and doesn't like over 60 mph.
  8. OriEri

OriEri David

I have been renting a leaf lately, and am becoming accustomed to keeping the speeds lower. I bet I can do it, though bummer about not having another gear in there.
  9. msirach

msirach Well-Known Member

How much is it to rent a Leaf. I haven't seen them around here in the Enterprise fleet.
  10. OriEri

OriEri David

Some stores have them and some don't. The base rate is 33/day, but if you get a whole month it is 700 for the month. I asked if I could go longer term, like 6-7 months until my 150mi CODA is ready, what that would get me.  He could not go lower than $600..too bad, I kind of like it. So, I will buy something instead.