Taking an Elantra out for a 2-day Cruze ;)

Discussion in 'Hyundai' started by xcel, Mar 24, 2012.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

I am on a little junket to visit family in Southern CA and on the way, this occurred.

[​IMG]

On the way to CA to visit family, a layover in Minneapolis saw a 29 year Delta Pilot retire. A fire truck sprays over the plane for his last taxi into the final gate of his career.

Wayne

2. xcel

Re: Taking an Elantra out for a Cruze ;)

Hi All:

While out here for a few days, I picked up a rental and guess what it is?

[​IMG]
    2012 Elantra GLS with an AT parked along the Pacific yesterday evening.​

Wayne

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  3. xcel

Hi All:

I dropped my wife off at her carpool this morning and decided to take a little high speed ride. It only had 600 miles when I picked it up so it needed a few “break-in miles” for what ”we” have in store ;)

[​IMG]
    A little high speed ride up into the mountains on I-8.

[​IMG]
    Glamis - Imperial Sand Dunes or more commonly known as the "Sand Toy Capital of the World" on CA-78.

[​IMG]
    The CA/AZ Stateline with the Colorado river running underneath.​

Wayne

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  4. I miss the views out there.

5. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Hm, I just left there yesterday...

6. xcel

Hi All:

The Elantra is doing very well in the warm California desert. And I am seeing $4.50/gal for regular, and that makes the Elantra and Cruze ECO that much sweeter - A fuel efficient way to cover the vast desert routes.

-Chris

A little update from me. We are in Ridgecrest, CA heading to actually see Death Valley instead of driving through it for a change.

A higher speed drive with CC set at 65 mph whenever possible. We crested the Cajon Pass at 61 mph avg. speed and it went south from there with traffic and the 30 or so lights on US-395 taking both the Cruze ECO and Elantra GLS down to just 57 - 58 mph as we sit.

Cruze ECO's aFCD is showing 45.2 mpg with the std. 10% offset allowing just > 41 mpg starting from near Sea Level to over 4,000' twice and back down to about 2,600 as I type.

Elantra GLS is showing 44.3 mpgUS and if it follows other Elantra's, it is hanging around 42.9 mpg or so?

We better get out of here if we are going to get pics within Death Valley and we still have a climb to almost 5,000' prior to falling to < sea level and then climbing out again as we make our way to Las Vegas.

Wayne

7. SentraSE-R

SentraSE-R Pishtaco

I can't believe you're getting such poor ;) FE with the Elantra, Wayne and Chris. 44+ mpg is what my wife and I averaged for 1100 miles last December driving 60-65 mph in our 2012 AT Elantra GLS.

Yes, the Elantra's aFCD overreports by about that much.

8. FXSTi

FXSTi Well-Known Member

Wayne,

What am I missing here? Are you driving two cars or comparing a similar drive in the Cruze Eco? I'm confused.

9. xcel

Hi Darrell:

The Elantra is doing pretty good as we have climbed to over 4,000' three times, once to just under 5,000 ft, been though sea level 4 times and are about to complete the first fill. Cruise Control speeds are 60 to 70 mph when traffic allows an the average is 54 mph for the trip so far.

2012 Hyundai Elantra and Chevrolet Cruze

[​IMG]
    Lots of traffic on the I-215.

[​IMG]
    Cresting Cajon Pass on I-15.

[​IMG]
    59 mph average just a few miles into the US-395 slow down.

[​IMG]
    Climbing to the West Entrance of Death Valley National Park.

[​IMG]
    Descending into Death Valley and a sand storm is ahead.

[​IMG]
    Cruze ahead in the sand storm. 30 to 40 mph cross winds.​

The Cruze aFCD is 45.x something. Chris went right to sleep when he got to Barstow and does not remember the actual and it is probably 10% over. The Elantra GLS with the AT is showing 44.4 mpgUS and if it is like the Limited and GLS with a stick, it is probably over by 1.5 mpg. We are headed out soon for the first fill.

Day 1 – 642 miles

Kirk, yes, we have an Elantra and a Cruze together in a back to back drive.

More later.

Wayne

10. lightfoot

lightfoot Reformed speeder

Apparently he's not the only one who's a bit sleepy??

11. xcel

Hi All:

When reaching Las Vegas, I became aware that a little thing called the NCAA regional’s were in progress and with UNLV in the tournament (I think?), all the hotels were booked. I guess we continue…

Next stop, Barstow. Since it is only 166 miles and I have 4 pips of fuel in the Elantra, it will surely make it, right? I pull out of the McDonald’s and immediately lose a pip. 3-left and 166 miles to go. DTE reads 121 miles and hopefully we can close the 45 mile gap or I will be walking. Third pip disappears just before Jean, NV, second pip after one darn long 2,000 + ft. climb and the DTE displays 37 miles with 45 miles to go when it goes to straight dashes. Now on a flashing pip with 31 miles to go and rumor has it there is only .5 gallons from flashing pip to parked on the side of the road and no way to move. .5 gallons at 45 mpg is not going to make it so I ended up testing that rumor out.

When I am on pins and needles, you know it has to be good ;) I pull into the hotel and its still running so either A, the Elantra allowed > 60 mpg at higher highway speeds or B, there is a full gallon left and I still have another 15 miles before she will actually run out of fuel? Or something in between??? I am still wondering if it will start for the two block trip to the Shell down the street for the top off measured fill :D

Wayne

12. JonNC

JonNC Driving Smarter Since 06/07/2011

Wayne/Chris,

IIRC, the few times that I have filled up on the "flashing pip", the UG reported somewhere around 1 gallon left (Lvl gal gauge), more or less. So our experiences seem to mesh on that front.

Also my Elantra's on-board aMPG gauge has been averaging a 7-8% over-report over the last year. That is of course an average, as some tanks (on the on-board aMPG) are reported higher that others, depending on city/highway ratio, driving techniques, weather, etc.

I hope this helps?

13. xcel

Hi Jon:

Just like in your situation, I found the Elantra aFCD over reports in the review of the GLS and Limited at 2.5 to 3% which also includes the Elantra’s odometer under report for the actual. The new 2012 Elantra GLS with the AT however revealed an under report of the aFCD and odometer for the total trip!

The flashing pip detail and working towards an actual tank capacity is interesting and had me on edge for almost an hour ;)

Wayne

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  14. xcel

Hi All:

A rare event on the somewhat desolate US-95 North of Vegas in which our white Cruze follows a fellow white Cruze.

[​IMG]

Wayne

15. xcel

Hi All:

Since we showed a Cruze on Cruze, why not an Elantra on Elantra?

[​IMG]
    First fuel stop at a Shell in Barstow, CA.

[​IMG]

Jeremy Beacham of St. George, Utah was the owner of the Black Elantra GLS:
    You do not want to know what he said about Ford parts :rolleyes:

Wayne

16. SentraSE-R

SentraSE-R Pishtaco

Wayne,

Did you ask Jeremy what FE he's getting?

17. xcel

Hi All:

[​IMG]

30 + mph headwinds from Barstow to Cajon Pass while heading back to San Diego on the I-15.

Wayne

18. xcel

Hi Darrell:

I approached him and only asked about why he chose the Elantra over the rest. He also said he was really happy with his purchase but I did not ask him about his FE. Kind of funny that I did not ask given what we were doing??? Chris spoke to Jeremy more than I did including giving the background details on why we were there.

Wayne

19. xcel

Hi All:

[​IMG]
    Notice the control stalks?​

One of the really nice items I like about the Elantra along with the cloth textured headliner, interior lighting and design is the stalks. DWL with the Cruze ECO up ahead just adds to the picture ;)

Wayne

20. xcel

Hi All:

[​IMG]
    Final Fill in San Diego, CA​

When you are filling a vehicle by bouncing up and down on the trunk opening, jumping up and down on the outward side rear door sill and pushing into the C-Pillars from both sides to rock the car, you are bound to attract attention. Chris takes every opportunity to talk about what we are doing whenever and wherever it occurs.

A local church group was filling up a number of their vans and I am sure we made a life long impression on many of them :D

Wayne