1996 Suzuki Swift

Discussion in 'GM' started by bowtieguy, Mar 22, 2012.

1. bowtieguy

bowtieguy Recovering Gasoholic

got some questions for the group...

looking to buy a 1996 swift 4cyl 5 speed for sale here(central florida) locally

the bad...it has 300k+ miles, a ripped(but no "popping") cv boot, and is missing a side mirror and timing cover(i can see a fairly new belt). likely not the original drive train.

the good...it runs very well(no smoking), has ice cold a/c, good interior, and very decent body(no rust...benefit of being in florida all its life).

the guy is a mechanic so the air, clutch, and timing are good to go; also, he's been driving all over town as a mobile mechanic both auto and marine so the car is likely dependable. he's motivated...he says he'll get the side mirror for me...

i need to think it over...both what i want to pay and how many mpgs i might get. if i can only get mid 40ish, i'd rather have a civic or corolla, be it more expensive to buy.

he wants $2k USD. i realize the car is not worth the asking price, but it could be a gem right? i'd like to have the 3cyl, but they're rare right? what's a fair price? you metro/swift/firefly guys...what are your thoughts and concerns please?

thanks, scott

2. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

for a car with 300k? $800

3. MaxxMPG

MaxxMPG Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

1996 Suzuki Swift 5MT is EPA rated at 33/35/39. Getting 40ish should be easy but you will need to break out the advanced techniques to go beyond. Depending on what it's replacing, it would take a while to offset the purchase price in gallons saved.

4. bowtieguy

ok perhaps i left out some detail...

i always look at the old epa estimates, which for drivers like this group, are absolutely more accurate...and should be even eclipsed by most of us.

case in point: i had a 2000 chevy prizm(corolla twin)5 speed which has new estimates of 27/30/34 and old estimates of 31/34/38. i drive slightly more highway miles than city(maybe 60/40) and was able to avg 42 or 43 mpg. in fact, i drove from orlando to tampa w/ a/c on once, yielding almost 47mpg. this was no mods btw.

now, as was said, new estimates for the swift are 33/35/39, but the old #s are 39/41/43. so if i'm able to achieve near 50 combined, the savings in gas will pay for the extra insurance taken out of another vehicle. gas goes beyond $4/gal...it's then gravy.

btw, i am now driving a 96 civic LX w/ AT, which will be my teenage daughter's car soon...that's why i bought it. so, the 35mpg i'm getting now...well you get the idea.

5. herm

herm Well-Known Member

That $2k would make a great down payment on a stripped Versa.. new engine, new AC, new warranty, new CV joint boots etc.. and you would end up with a safer and more luxurious car

6. Ouch. $2000? Ouch!

Why is he selling it?

7. bowtieguy

he's selling to get a work truck because he's a mobile mechanic. kbb has the car, even w/ the mileage, in good shape at $1500, but w/ these gas prices...

8. msirach

msirach Well-Known Member

9. FSUspectra

FSUspectra Practicing true conservatism!

That Metro will be a money pit and a death trap. You can spend that $2k and get MUCH more either outright or as a down payment.

10. A vehicle with over 300k is probably worth its weight in scrap metal. :)

11. bowtieguy

more details...

i dont finance vehicles, it's too much in interest and insurance

i'm not concerned about safety features and/or small vehicles. i drive a truck for a living, and am trained to see things before they happen. i save lives and serious injury regularly via avoiding knuckle head drivers :Banane35:

btw, the poster dropped the price to $1800 "firm"
    at that price i could likely drive a year or 2 and the vehicle would pay for itself

thanks for the replies

12. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

Assuming no repairs...It seems like you want it regardless. At least get some maint. info.