Prius c Sales Off To a Great Start

Discussion in 'Toyota Prius Family' started by xcel, Mar 16, 2012.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG]1,201 sold in the first four days on the market!

[fimg=left]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/2012_Prius_c1.jpg[/fimg]Wayne Gerdes - CleanMPG - March 16, 2012

2012 Toyota Prius c - $18,950 to start and a 50 mpgUS combined rating yet worth far more than its larger Prius hatch sibling with the same EPA rating.

Toyota this morning released an interesting piece of news describing how its B-Segment Prius c hybrid sales are off to a very quick start since going on sale March 12.

In its first three days, 1,201 c’s have reached new owners making it one Toyota’s fastest-selling vehicles and eclipsing Honda’s Insight-II, Civic Hybrid, CR-Z, Ford's Fusion hybrid, Chevrolet’s Volt and Nissan’s LEAF sales for the entire month of February.

We will just say it is more than just its fuel economy but also the content, historic reliability and a starting price that the lower income public can actually afford. This is especially true when you consider the total cost of ownership which in a few years may reveal that the c is the lowest cost car in America over 5-years!

All in, there is only 3 2012 cars in the B-Segment worth considering. The Accent and Rio are value and design leaders. The c provides everything else and more.

Bob Carter, Group VP and GM of the Toyota Division:
    From a manufacturer perspective, the c is the type of offering that provides dealership appeal and will definitely help Toyota overcome its recent troubled past. Just ahead of Toyota on the monthly sales chart is Ford and while they have a tremendous lineup up current and future cars and trucks, as gas prices rise, Toyota has an affordable product that is both available and makes sense today. Well most of the lineup does as the Tundra, FJ Cruiser, 4Runner and Venza are quite a bit off the mark.

Automobile Manufacturer's US Sales Rank - February 2012 vs. February 2011 Comparison and Total Sales
    1. GM February Sales up 1.1% with 209,306 vehicles sold.
    2. Ford February Sales up 14.4% with 179,119 vehicles sold.
    3. Toyota February Sales up 12.4% with 159,423 vehicles sold.
    4. Chrysler February Sales up 40.4% with 133,521 vehicles sold.
    It is called c and it “does not take any $*#^ from nobody.”

2. bestmapman

bestmapman Fighting untruth and misinformation

I just checked with my local dealer and they don't have any yet. They are not sure when they will be getting any. Darn, I wanted to go test drive one.

3. ksstathead

ksstathead Moderator

Tough couple of years for Toyota, but Prius line leads them back. Hatch, PiP, v and c all going strong.

Folks at priuschat that understand momentum, psi, and speed impacts are rocking the mpg with the c.

4. Kinder

Kinder Well-Known Member

Prius c looks fantastic! I hadn't expected Toyota to pull it off, but they sure seem to have a breakthrough car with this one. Buyer's remorse on my 2012 Accent that I bought last August? Well, I am taking solace in Wayne's comment that it and the related Rio are still worth considering.

If I was buying today, I'd probably still end up with an Accent for three reasons: the larger cargo space and 25% lower price of entry make a big difference for this one-car family of three, and finally because I very rarely am in city traffic. Still, the c is turning my head, and with only a slightly different set of circumstances, would be in my driveway.

5. herm

herm Well-Known Member

What will Honda do with the Insight?

6. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

What Insight? :p

Either give up or replace it with a Fit Hybrid.

7. xcel

Hi Herm:

$3K on the hood in the under the table manner in which Honda does such things could get them to move? With the YEN where it is at against the $ however, that would be an expensive proposition.

Colin, good idea. They have it in Europe so why not? I can tell you why not? $'s.

Wayne

8. echoman

echoman Well-Known Member

This just flew to the top of my hybrid list!

9. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

The official sale date was March 12, but in CA and many other places the cars went on sale March 5. Hawaii customers got theirs even earlier. Dealers in CA are selling +$1000 over MSRP and stock mostly the expensive level III and level IV models so buyers are getting gouged pretty badly for now.

10. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

Hawaii's in a different Toyota region. March 5th was the soft launch. March 12th was the big launch.

Some dealers are selling > MSRP, but there are dealers dealing if you find the volume sellers.

I want my wife to test one but online inventories suggest my close dealers don't have any. We need to head south 50 miles to test. (Don't tell her, but I'd even consider the Four if that's what it's take to get her in one instead of an ICEV. Never mind the acceleration feel the heated seats. ;)).

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  11. RichXKU

RichXKU Well-Known Member

It should've been the Fit hybrid from the start.

Now that Honda has broke out the LiIon battery for the HCH that may be next? I just hope they fix the dash to have a dedicated battery and inst. MPG display like the CRZ does, which leaves the trip computer open for the eco guide or trip FE.

It'll be impossible to get near 53 city without clutching the IMA motor though... *sigh*

12. civic94coupe206

civic94coupe206 Well-Known Member

I really dont get how it got this successful. Compared to the insight, its superior, but compared to a prius, yes its cheaper, but the combined MPG is the same, and the car is smaller in every dimension, and less power. the city mpg is only 2 better than the prius, but like i said, its a lot smaller.

If it averaged 55 mpg I would but it in a heartbeat

13. xcel

Hi Civic94coupe206:

Consider the following.

[​IMG]
    99.8% all-highway round trip drive - 85.6 mpg over 59.2 miles - Actual 84.75 mpg over 59.3 miles.​

The Prius hatch cannot even come close to that.

I hope that helps explain the reason why some of us are so excited about this somewhat inexpensive B-Segment fuel miser. It is that darn good!

Wayne

14. byoung

byoung Active Member

I got to test drive a Prius C IV this afternoon. It's the first Prius I've ever driven, and I was very impressed. I drove it about 8 miles and got 52.5 mpg while pushing it fairly hard to test it's acceleration getting on and off the highway. This one was priced over $25K, so I'm sure that was the reason it is still on the lot. Four other lesser priced models sold in two days.

Brad

15. rfruth

rfruth Well-Known Member

I can get a Honda CR-Z EX for 21 K, is also fun to drive, Y bother with the more expensive c ?

16. RichXKU

RichXKU Well-Known Member

Few people can get by with 2 seats and there's a big difference between 35/39 and 53/46. A nearly 20 MPG difference is huge in the city..

17. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk 2010 Prius (CAN Touring) Staff Member

The on-ramp acceleration must have been a small percentage of the 8 miles. 52.5 mpg and hard acceleration are poles apart. Still, that's excellent mileage.

One caveat: if it's similar to 3rd gen Prius, the mileage the dash displayed is optimistic by around 7%.

18. xcel

Hi Mendel:

That was a top off to top off measured fill and the c's OEM aFCD was over by just .85 mpg or 1%. Read the Prius c's spec page for more detail.

Wayne

19. lightfoot

lightfoot Reformed speeder

Agree with the mpg difference, though I'd love to see what I could do with an MT CR-Z. MT opens up a lot of hypermiling possibilities, and I think the CR-Z is the only hybrid offered in MT at the moment??

As for the 2-seat thing, "few" doesn't describe the numbers of Porsches, BMW Z3/4's, Miatas, Corvettes, etc I see whizzing around. Lots of people buy 2-seaters:
    - when they are young (I owned three two seaters - one after the other - each as my sole vehicle in my younger days)
    - as a second car in the family:
    my ex drove a Honda CRX while we were married
    my Mom owned two Triumphs (she was small and preferred a smaller car)
    my good friend has a Z3 (she's 5'0")
    my one sister has a Z3
    my other sister drives an Insight-I
    I got an Insight-I as a commuter vehicle (ONE seat would have sufficed!)
    and of course you and your CR-Z!!

We need to get away from judging every vehicle according to whether it fits the typical family of 4. There is a thriving market for 2-seater cars.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  20. diamondlarry

diamondlarry Super MPG Man/god :D

Exactly. I think this is one of the biggest reasons the Gen1 Insight isn't around anymore. I had to put off buying my Insight because my family has 4 members and a two-seater just wouldn't cut it. Now that it's mostly just the wife and I, the Insight makes sense more of the time.