Engine Ping or Knock at low load

Discussion in 'Honda Hybrids' started by Fixjet, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Fixjet

Fixjet Member

Has anyone experienced an engine knocking or pinging at low loads? Like at highway speeds 45-65 mph on flat ground. If you add a little throttle or start climbing a hill it will go away. Seems to happen at high ignition advance, no codes for the knock sensor. Premium fuel will help so I think it is really a knock situation. 130,000 miles and otherwise running fine.

Dan

2. herm

herm Well-Known Member

try regular from a premium brand of gasoline.. since the subsidy went away you may be experiencing a lower ethanol content... but its odd that you get it at low load and in winter.

3. Harold

Harold Well-Known Member

I have never heard any engine knock thus far,or have I heard of anyone else with this problem. Must have a carbon build up? H

4. herm

herm Well-Known Member

It could be, some Seafoam or MMO may be indicated...it only pings at low load, and it goes away with high test gasoline.. the computer may retard the timing at high load enough to prevent pinging. I think the car would detect a problem with timing control so it must be bad fuel or carbon buildup.

A spark plug that is too hot for the application?.. what are the symptoms of a clogged up EGR system?

5. Fixjet

Fixjet Member

Fixed the problem. :Banane06: The clue was high Nitrates and Oxidation in the oil, can be caused by blocked EGR ports. Cleaned out the EGR Chamber on the intake manifold and all is well. The ports where completely blocked. Runs fine now with no pinging at all.

6. Harold

Harold Well-Known Member

Fixjet
    Good info, thanks for sharing.How did you determine that was the issue? H

7. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Great news!! I should probably take a look at mine at some point... it has almost 109K on the odometer now. :eek:

8. Fixjet

Fixjet Member

If your EGR ports get plugged up you can get a buildup of nitrates and oxidation in the oil (showed up on my oil analysis) which can produce sludge in the oil and more carbon build up. The car has 135,000 miles on it and the sludge under the valve cover was excessive. All my previous civics never had a sludge issue. So that got me to thinking something wasn't right. Found a guy on YouTube that had a little demo on cleaning the EGR ports on older Accords that got me thinking to check them on the HCHII. They where completely clogged with carbon. Cleaned them out and it runs great now. Easy to do takes about 45 minutes at the most. I wish I had taken a before picture, it was caked with carbon and you couldn't even see the 4 ports in the chamber.

[​IMG]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8N-SE047VY

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  9. diamondlarry

diamondlarry Super MPG Man/god :D

I think I'm about due to check mine out too; I have just over 120K on the Insight and I've heard that by around 150K most of them will be in need of a cleaning. I have all the parts to do it but am waiting for some good weather.

10. selinz

selinz New Member

9 out of 10 of you with high mileage (> 150K) will have clogged ports in your egr chamber.
    I could tell my car was burning hot. The EGR valve let's in exhaust gas (ie, no oxygen) in order to cool the lean burning engine. In the civic hybrid, there is actually an egr chamber. If you look at the parts diagram (under intake manifold), you can see it. Summary:Noticed pinging starting at around 190K. Decided to change plugs (self) and get the valves adjusted (Honda) and that seemed to help a little but was still getting pinging at "random" times. After about 35K miles, pinging was getting worse and I started getting an occasional misfire. Purchased codereader (the $12 Bluetooth kind on Amazon is recommended). Problem got worse. Tried using fuel cleaner, etc. Left at Honda for 2 days. They found nothing. I'm guessing they actually did nothing. I decided to change the plugs again. BURNED! After the first set of plugs lasted nearly 200K, the second set burned up after only 35K. So misfires went away but not pinging. Very drivable still. Then I started getting P0404 (EGR circuit out of range). Honda wanted to change the EGR valve (that would not have worked). Then I saw a nice youtube video on how to clean out the four ports in the egr chamber. That was the trick. Took an hour. EGR valve was fine.

11. fileaudio

fileaudio heavy foot ultramegamiler

I hope my car doesn't enter in this situation.. is good to know tough.. tnx

12. hunter44102

hunter44102 Well-Known Member

Wouldn't regular maintenance prevent this? Including air filter changes, spark plugs, intake cleaner (3 part fuel and intake cleaner), and using synthetic oil? I wouldn't think those deposits could happen if everything is burning and running correctly.

I am at 140K and the car sounds and runs like the day I bought it so not sure if its worth taking apart unless its super easy

13. fileaudio

I was decided to change the oil myself ... so glad I don't put 5/30 oil and take it to the dealer that coat me 30 Dlls and they put recomended 0-20 synth, my car has 44000 miles and they told me it can go 100k miles before change spark plugs, so I need another 56k miles to go. for the 8 spark plugs.. nothings written on Stone period

14. hunter44102

I replaced the plugs at 100K and they still looked pretty good

I also replaced the coolant at 100K and it looked just as blue as the new honda replacement.. its amazing how it didn't degrade much

15. fileaudio

well hchII has 8 Splugs is good to know those last 100k miles, I'm thinking on do the cvt oil and front struts shocks.. ANY ADVICE?

16. hunter44102

The CVT fluid is super easy to change, you just drain and then fill. There is a post somewhere on this forum on how much comes out, and how much has to go back in.

The trick is just finding that drain plug (I believe its closer to the drivers side), and then filling it is done through the dip stick.

Not sure about the struts

17. S Keith

S Keith Well-Known Member

I'm having exactly this issue. Pinging under very low load. Looks like I have a project tomorrow. :)

18. S Keith

S Keith Well-Known Member

Totally did the trick. No more pinging. Two of my four ports were clogged. Very easy to get at, and a "breeze" with compressed air.

Two bolts to remove inlet plenum, disconnect hose and pull straight up to detach from mounting grommets

Disconnect the coolant line

Disconnect the ground strap

Remove six 10mm head bolts

Clean anything black

Take care not to get debris in the coolant system.

Clean off mounting surfaces and gasket (gasket can have a lot of carbon on it).

Reinstall in reverse order.

Not a bad idea to blow out EGR valve while you're at it. Detach electrical connector and remove 12mm head bolts.

I did both cars in less than an hour. I also took the opportunity to swap out front coil packs to try and track what feels like missing... problem moved... definitely 1 of the 3 coil packs I swapped!!!! Woot! Rockauto sells hitachi (Hitachi makes OEM packs) coil packs for less than $50!

Steve

19. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

I was gonna say...smacks of EGR. Or, possibly carbon buildup. Run the p!ss outa the engine to blow out the carbon, clean EGR valve and passages.

Glad I have no EGR. It's a common problem. Simplicity rules.

20. HCH2007

HCH2007 Journeyman Hypermiler

Glad you got it fixed. I was going to suggest what you did because I had the same problem. My 2007 HCH has 134,000 miles on it and the lame battery pack has been my only real thorn in the side.

Wayne