best place to put the scanguage?

Discussion in 'Honda Hybrids' started by EAKSE, Mar 9, 2012.

1. EAKSE

EAKSE Active Member

does anyone have a good spot for the scan gauge in the HCH? I'n running a 2008. I see a few possibilities but nothing really perfect...

2. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

I mounted mine to the mirror in my Prius using a Blend Mount.

[​IMG]

BlendMount

3. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

I have mine on top of the dash above the gauges. It's very close to line-of-sight so I'm not looking away from the road much at all. I used the velcro that came with the gauge.
    [​IMG]

4. FSUspectra

FSUspectra Practicing true conservatism!

I had mine installed in the same place as Andrew. No better place imo, but that double stacked dash in the HCH may prove more difficult.

5. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

Here's one from Wayne's review of the HCH-II.
    [​IMG]

6. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Mine is in the same place as Andrew's in my Elantra -- though it has never shown a tank average that high. :eek:

7. Harold

Harold Well-Known Member

Same as Andrews. I ran the wire to the left as in the last picture. H

8. EAKSE

EAKSE Active Member

Wayne's rig seems best. When I eyeballed that position I was worried it might obstruct the speedo but the (nice!) picture proves it won't.
    Thanks guys!

9. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

When it was installed on my K1500, I had it on top of the steering column:

[​IMG]

In the Escape, I have it velcro'ed to the dash.

[​IMG]

10. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

That position would never work for me and my Civic. I'm not nearly as tall as Wayne or Andrew and the steering wheel would block my view of the SG. Mine is mounted on the lower tier, but to the right side very close to the radio. I don't need to move my eyes too far from straight-ahead to see it.

11. lxmike

lxmike Well-Known Member

here how i have mine. Plenty of room and all it blocks is the trip meter.

[IF]http://www.picpaste.com/102_0556-dZblbX3L.JPG[/IF]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2012
  12. EdwinTheMagnificent

That looks pretty good, Mike. It does block a small portion of the speedo , but at those speeds one is generally coasting to a stop and watching the cars ahead.

13. rhwinger

rhwinger Well-Known Member

Here is my setup. I put it off to the side so it doens't interfere with the OEM displays and doesn't take my eyes off the road too much while I'm driving.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  14. EdwinTheMagnificent

That looks pretty good, Bob. Does that location help with glare when driving in bright sunlight ? It looks like the cable has to make a sharp 180 in order to go back left. I think I will try it, though. Then I will see if I can see it clearly. I have the steering wheel all the way down usually, so that will help.

15. rhwinger

rhwinger Well-Known Member

Edwin:

It's a Cat 5 cable which is plenty flexible enough. No glare issues. I keep it in place with one of those sticky cell phone mats that you can buy at Target or WallyWorld.

I routed the cable inside the front door frame trim so it's not visble. (I purcased an extra cable from LL so that I can easily remove the scangage and use it in another vehicle)

16. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk 2010 Prius (CAN Touring) Staff Member

At least with our Prius dash, I just put a couple of loops of masking tape on the underside of the ScanGage, makeshift double-sided tape. Then pressed it onto the dash, centred above the steering wheel. I ran the OBD cable around the steering column and up to it.

I meant this as a stop-gap install, but ended up leaving it thus, never using the velcro strips. Occasionally I replace the masking tape loops, maybe twice in a year. It's suprisingly stable, has never fallen off, and the tape doesn't appear to leave any residue.

I'll pull it off and take it if we're parking in a sketchy neighbourhood, then replace, and it seems to do pretty good.