Do crappy and aggresive drivers prefer certain brands?

Discussion in 'Hero and Jerk of the Day' started by Blackbelt, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Blackbelt

Blackbelt Well-Known Member

Some things i think i think;
    This is not a blanket statement or indictment, merely something that i have observed in my daily commute(72 miles R/T)
    Hypermiling along in the right line at the PSL or under gives one ample opportunity to see the poor driving skills/habits of others.
    I would guesstimate that 60-70% of the aggressive, inconsiderate, and dangerous driving I observe is done by people driving pick ups.
    Of the cars that comprise the other 30-40%, they seem to be comprised of mostly
    BMW's
    Audi's
    Mazda 3's
    So what to make of this? Is there something in the personality profile of the lousy driver that draws them towards these vehicles, or does it have something to do with the way these vehicles drive that makes their owners do stupid stuff?
    ;):D

2. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

I observe the same thing about trucks... daily. The bigger ones are badder, of course. :rolleyes: I think it's a wild animal instinct thing - I'm bigger so I can intimidate those who are smaller. I see much less aggression when driving the Odyssey - not as small, so it seems less "vulnerable" in the dog-eat-dog pack.

3. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

I say half and half. A driver can only be as stupid as his car "allows" him to be. Imagine if everyone was mandated to drive Insights? ;)

4. PaleMelanesian

I also think it may have something to do with how insulated you are from the outside world. Luxury cars and big trucks are a nice cocoon and you have less to remind you the other cars are actually people.

5. 2RR2NV

2RR2NV Ultimate Newbie

i see a nice mix. never actually counted them or approximated.... i will say this, i've had only pick-ups fall in behind me while goin to work when i'm doing 55 in a 65 zone. not saying all pick-ups drivers are nice, just notice how many have actually slowed down waaaaaaaaaaaaay ahead of time (before goin off an exit ramp or side road) and just hung out there.... and not tailgate. no other type of vehicle has shown up in that position.

now that i'm on base, no one is behind me or passing me, except the guy on a bicycle.

6. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

A good investment is to buy The High and the Mighty Note how marketing appealed to power, significance, virility on the design of pickups and SUVs....if you read the book it will amaze you.

7. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

I don't notice a pattern in cars.

Mainers would probably say they notice a pattern in the license plate. ;)

For the drivers, my wife puts it like this:
    - If she sees something stupid it's a woman
    - If she sees something stupid AND aggressive it's a man.

8. FXSTi

FXSTi Well-Known Member

Mercedes = better than you
    Buick = old people
    BMW = I have places to be, I'm important you know
    Pizza delivery car = Driver may be high, beware of random flying car parts

The thing I have noticed is that Jeep drivers don't seem to be in a hurry. I dread seeing a Jeep coming up behind me. They will park their Jeep a safe distance and refuse to pass. Then I have to lock in a steady speed and watch my FE drop.

9. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

I'll second Andrew's comments about size -- I've had a Toyota Echo road rage my Insight bumper. :rolleyes:

Kirk, those are the situations made for a long glide reverse pass -- works for me 90% of the time. The other 10% I have to grin and bear it because I can't change lanes for some reason.

10. PaleMelanesian

I must agree.

11. Mr. Pancake

Mr. Pancake Well-Known Member

Around here the aggressive drivers prefer large vehicles, especially the Dodge Ram. There are alot of Chrysler employees here so that may be why it is that particular vehicle.

12. MaxxMPG

MaxxMPG Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

Around here, there are more SUVs than pickups, but the behavior is the same. 20% over speed limit, red light running, weaving through traffic to get three cars ahead in the line.
    The SUVs here that seem to offend the most are the Acura/Toyota/Nissan SUVs. But I think that may be skewed by the fact that they have a much larger market share in the area than the Ford/GM/Chrysler equivalents.

For cars, it's BMW in first place, followed by Audi, followed by Mini, followed by Mazda.

And for some reason, I can predict how much trouble they will cause by how many aftermarket glue-on or stick-on modifications have been done. A new BMW 5 series won't likely cause trouble. A decade-old 3 series with "M" wheels/rims, a cracked and chipped chin spoiler, blacked out windows, and eBay-sourced "M" or "Alpine" stick-on badges is probably not going to play nice.

13. FXSTi

FXSTi Well-Known Member

Where I do 90% of my driving there are only two lanes. I have taken to doing a long glide combined with a right turn signal when there is a cross road ahead.

14. WriConsult

WriConsult Super Moderator

I would agree that the worst offenders tend to be pickup drivers. In the past I saw a lot of bad behavior from small as well as large pickups, but there aren't as many small pickups on the road anymore. The bigger, more jacked-up, or more Dodge, the more likely it seems they are to try to bully their way through.

After pickups, luxury SUVs seem worst, followed by luxury cars. I would say BY FAR I've seen more aggressive, reckless, don't-give-a-****-about-anyone-but-myself, get-out-of-my-way behavior from Range Rover owners than anything else. The larger Infiniti and Lexus SUVs seem to be next, then Hummers, Escalades and Navigators.

15. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

I've often considered putting spikes on the knuckles of my motorcycle gloves so I can drag my knuckles along the side of the next Hummer or BMW that decides he can share my lane.

16. FXSTi

FXSTi Well-Known Member

Where the heck is the like button?

17. we just bought a buick.

It came with a cane and a walker

18. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

Is the left blinker stuck on too?

(I kid, but I own a Buick too)

19. 2RR2NV

2RR2NV Ultimate Newbie

bah, just have a little cargo spot full of bb's and when you get kitty corner from the offender, empty em out and say see ya.

or you can do the super soaker setup with brake fluid. push a button and then they think they are getting a free car wash.

j/k on all counts. i do not actually suggest the above posted actions.

20. Blackbelt

Blackbelt Well-Known Member