Are the servers ready for the influx?

Discussion in 'Website news & discussions' started by FXSTi, Mar 3, 2012.

1. FXSTi

FXSTi Well-Known Member

Gas jumped to $4 here this evening and I predict that people are going to start to look for ways to save gas.

I know I'm being nosy, but do the web hits trend with with gas prices?

2. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

See http://www.alexa.com

We have been more active the past month, but nothing like the Summer of 2008...$5 a gallon may be the new pain point to get the average driver to seriously change their habits.

3. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

They did back in 2008. It was a crazy mad rush here :).

4. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

That rush overwhelmed the old server. I migrated the site to a new, dedicated server shortly after and we've yet to be swamped like that again.

5. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

gas is up to $3.98 locally.

6. MaxxMPG

MaxxMPG Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

Gas is hovering around $4 here for a gallon of regular. No apparent change in traffic volume or the number of 4x4s with the throttle wide open on the local roads. As Chuck said above, it appears that $5 may be the new breaking point where people lift their right foot ever so slightly.

In this area, diesel is $4.35 to $4.55 a gallon. Maybe that's why there aren't many TDIs or other oil burners on the road around here.

7. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

If diesel sells at 10% more than gasoline, that's fine. I know it's hard to directly compare gas and diesel cars, even when the make and model are the same , but if I get 30% more miles out of a gallon of diesel in my Golf TDI vs. a gallon of petrol in your Golf 2.5 (IronSlug) , 10-15% more works for me. The differential in my area is only about 7-8% right now.
    What rules out diesel for me ( at this moment) is the limited choices. No Honda,no Ford,no Chevy. No VW 1.6 TDI's , but they sure want us to rush out and buy their overpowered,recently-announced 2.0 L 190HP cars. Or even the current (overpowered) 140HP cars. Until we get a good smaller diesel choice here, a hybrid will work best for me. My "normal" driving does not include 70-80 mph highway driving.

8. lxmike

lxmike Well-Known Member

Down here right now it is around $3.85 a gallon. I'm expecting the news station to start/report the business owners complaining/crying about it soon. Also watch /expect small car and hybrid sales too increase! ;)

9. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

10. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

According to this CNW *, as mentioned in this article $4.50 is the new $4.

Maybe more people "know" about hypermiling now so won't be visiting. Or maybe more of them are carpooling. (Or, as my friend will now be doing, pick-uppooling! He rides a hog in better weather, but those 6 months mean 9,000 miles at 36mpg instead of 18mpg, a saving of 250 gallons a year! Plus, being able to keep running the pick-up means that his very high-mileage wife's car can be replaced for good-weather use, for more fuel savings.)

I still need to find a new car or van pool.

* So infamous, they get their own glossary entry

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  11. bestmapman

bestmapman Fighting untruth and misinformation

OMG stand by for all the newbies. It is going to be a mad house again.

I guess that is a good thing.