Are the servers ready for the influx?

Discussion in 'Website news & discussions' started by FXSTi, Mar 3, 2012.

1. FXSTi

FXSTi Well-Known Member

Gas jumped to $4 here this evening and I predict that people are going to start to look for ways to save gas.

I know I'm being nosy, but do the web hits trend with with gas prices?
  2. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

We have been more active the past month, but nothing like the Summer of 2008...$5 a gallon may be the new pain point to get the average driver to seriously change their habits.
  3. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

They did back in 2008. It was a crazy mad rush here :).
  4. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

That rush overwhelmed the old server. I migrated the site to a new, dedicated server shortly after and we've yet to be swamped like that again.
  5. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

gas is up to $3.98 locally.
  6. MaxxMPG

MaxxMPG Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

Gas is hovering around $4 here for a gallon of regular. No apparent change in traffic volume or the number of 4x4s with the throttle wide open on the local roads. As Chuck said above, it appears that $5 may be the new breaking point where people lift their right foot ever so slightly.

In this area, diesel is $4.35 to $4.55 a gallon. Maybe that's why there aren't many TDIs or other oil burners on the road around here.
  7. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

If diesel sells at 10% more than gasoline, that's fine. I know it's hard to directly compare gas and diesel cars, even when the make and model are the same , but if I get 30% more miles out of a gallon of diesel in my Golf TDI vs. a gallon of petrol in your Golf 2.5 (IronSlug) , 10-15% more works for me. The differential in my area is only about 7-8% right now.
    What rules out diesel for me ( at this moment) is the limited choices. No Honda,no Ford,no Chevy. No VW 1.6 TDI's , but they sure want us to rush out and buy their overpowered,recently-announced 2.0 L 190HP cars. Or even the current (overpowered) 140HP cars. Until we get a good smaller diesel choice here, a hybrid will work best for me. My "normal" driving does not include 70-80 mph highway driving.
  8. lxmike

lxmike Well-Known Member

Down here right now it is around $3.85 a gallon. I'm expecting the news station to start/report the business owners complaining/crying about it soon. Also watch /expect small car and hybrid sales too increase! ;)
  9. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

10. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

According to this CNW *, as mentioned in this article $4.50 is the new $4.

Maybe more people "know" about hypermiling now so won't be visiting. Or maybe more of them are carpooling. (Or, as my friend will now be doing, pick-uppooling! He rides a hog in better weather, but those 6 months mean 9,000 miles at 36mpg instead of 18mpg, a saving of 250 gallons a year! Plus, being able to keep running the pick-up means that his very high-mileage wife's car can be replaced for good-weather use, for more fuel savings.)

I still need to find a new car or van pool.

* So infamous, they get their own glossary entry
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  11. bestmapman

bestmapman Fighting untruth and misinformation

OMG stand by for all the newbies. It is going to be a mad house again.

I guess that is a good thing.