i-MiEV is Canada's Most “Fuel” Efficient

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Feb 24, 2012.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG]Was there really any doubt?

[fimg=right]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/2012_iMiEV.jpg[/fimg]Wayne Gerdes - CleanMPG - Feb. 24, 2012

2012 Mitsubishi iMiEV ES - $29,125 USD to start with a $7500 federal tax credit available to some.

Since 1999, the Natural Resources Canada (NRCan) has recognized the most fuel-efficient new Canadian vehicles sold in each of 10 classes. The 2012 ecoENERGY for Vehicles Awards revealed that battery electrics are the chart toppers with other interesting results that need some explanation.

The 2012 Honda CR-Z and Smart Fortwo are the #1 most fuel efficient cars in all of Canada. What did you say? Well they are when you consider only 2-seaters ;)

As the list shows below, the electrics are storming the beaches. Mind you they are not strong sellers but they quite literally own the most “fuel” efficient rankings in whatever class they are competing in.

The first battery electric chosen by Canada's Ministry of Natural Resources (NRCan) as the most fuel-efficient vehicle in the subcompact and all other classes was Mitsubishi’s i-MiEV. When comparing the i-MiEV against all the rest, it is by far Canada's most fuel-efficient car just as it is in the US. Remember this anyone?

Mitsubishi’s iMiEV Tops Greenest Vehicle List

The 2012 ecoENERGY for Vehicles Awards *
    • Two-seater car: Honda CR-Z (co-winner) - 50/56 mpgUS city/highway
      Two-seater car: Smart Fortwo (co-winner) - 49/60 mpgUS city/highway

• Subcompact car: Mitsubishi i-MiEV - 149/118 MPGe city/highway

• Compact car: Chevrolet Volt - 113/113 MPGe and 42/48 mpgUS city/highway

• Mid-size car: Nissan LEAF – 128/109 MPGe city/highway

• Full-size car: Hyundai Sonata – 32/50 mpgUS city/highway

• Station wagon: Toyota Prius v – 66/59 mpgUS city/highway

• Pickup truck: Toyota Tacoma – 28/37 mpgUS city/highway

• Special purpose vehicle: Ford Escape Hybrid – 49/43 mpgUS city/highway

• Minivan: Mazda5 – 30/42 mpgUS city/highway

• Large van: Ford Transit Connect Van – 29/38 mpgUS city/highway
    * on the Transport Canada ratings scheme.

With all the hubbub over how US vehicles cannot match their EPA ratings here in the US, all due to driver “error”, how does Transport Canada get away with posting non-adjusted CAFÉ like numbers on the stickers of their new cars without the Canadian populace going crazy? Similarly the entire EU and its NEDC ratings scheme?
  2. ksstathead

ksstathead Moderator

Maybe it only works in metric? :p
  3. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

Those who know a little about fuel economy figures just go to the EPA website as they find those numbers more realistic anyway.
  4. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

It's possible that Canadians don't over-react to numbers ; maybe they actually READ about how those numbers came to be. But what do I know ? I'm an American. I seem to recall having non-adjusted EPA numbers on the window of my 81 Mazda. And I beat them , too.
  5. herm

herm Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  6. WriConsult

WriConsult Super Moderator

That could be handy in the event of a power outage that isn't too prolonged. I could run my house (without making ANY changes to our demand) for a day and a half off the i-Miev's battery ... more than 2 days off the Leaf's. By aggressively conserving juice, we could no doubt double that.

On the other hand, if you roll the dice and decide to drain your EV's battery, and then the outage lasts longer than expected ... now your car is inoperable unless you can get it to an alternate charging station before it's fully drained.