Pups Only Drive Velosters With 18" Alloys and Racing Stripes!

Discussion in 'Hyundai' started by xcel, Feb 22, 2012.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

Just a quick pic of something that arrived in the drive today???

Like the title says, she only drives "Hot" stuff and this is just her second review!

2012 Hyundai Veloster

[​IMG]
    The Pup and the Veloster :)

Wayne

2. xcel

Re: Pups Only Drive Veloster's With 18" Alloys and Racing Stripes!

Hi All:

And a few more mundane shots of the sharp little blue “street rod” ;)

2012 Hyundai Veloster

[​IMG]
    Interior.

[​IMG]
    Passenger side profile.

[​IMG]
    The hatch in all its versatile forms.​

Wayne

3. Ophbalance

Ophbalance Administrator Staff Member

If they make it a hybrid, this is my next car in 4 years ;).

4. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

That thing sure looks sporty :D she has great taste! crz fighter ;)

5. xcel

Hi Ophbalance and Ricardo:

It is a hot looker for sure and while I am finding faults in other areas, read what happened last night...

Damnedest thing. I was stopped at a light last night and a guy walking to what I believe to be a tavern down the street signals me to roll down the window...

And he says,
    I am not as familiar with the lingo of today's Millennials as I thought but this was most certainly a compliment of the highest order. The only thing I can compare is when I drove the CR-Z out to Iowa and pulled into a McDonald's. The employee I ordered from was asking about the car and when I left, the entire staff walked out of behind the counter and looked out the main windows while I drove off.

Wayne

6. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

I was behind one yesterday, it's definitely an eye-catching car, in a good way.

7. Die2self

Die2self Saving more by using less!

"Tight" is a good term. He liked the car. ;)

8. JonNC

JonNC Driving Smarter Since 06/07/2011

Wayne,

Could you check and see if the back seats (the bottom parts) lift up and rotate toward the front seats?
    If they do, that should flatten out the extended cargo area.

If only they had matched the gear ratios on the auto with the Elantra's...
    We can dream, right?
    If something were to happen to my Elantra, the Veloster is on the short list for replacement.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  9. rfruth

rfruth Well-Known Member

fuel efficiency & 18 inch wheels don't go hand-in-hand, the car looks good, if you don't look too close

10. FXSTi

FXSTi Well-Known Member

That car is flat out sexy looking.

Kirk

11. 2RR2NV

2RR2NV Ultimate Newbie

^^ true that!

12. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

Velosters are good-looking cars...saw one on the road yesterday evening. Can't get over the 3rd door thing though. I hate asymmetry so it needs two or four doors!

"Tight" is indeed praise...though its origins are off-colour :D

13. JonNC

JonNC Driving Smarter Since 06/07/2011

I agree with regards to symmetry but I give the Veloster a pass! :D
    The Nissan Cube on the other hand, makes me gag a little everyone I see one. :p

14. Ophbalance

Ophbalance Administrator Staff Member

I got to compare a Gen II Prius and Veloster side by side on I40 yesterday. They appear fairly equal, with the Veloster being slightly wider and more squat. I do question 18's on... well, anything really ;). I'm already looking at putting on another set on the Prius, and that's going to cost me something like $600 total. I cannot imagine having to put on 18's every 60-80k miles.

15. MaxxMPG

MaxxMPG Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

On Tire Rack's search, they list winter tires in 195/65-15 and 205/60-15, with either steel or aluminum wheels available. So 15" wheels will fit. The 18's are fitted as eye candy.
    On T-R's site, they list Moda MD9 aluminum 15s that are quoted at 14.5 pounds as a guaranteed fit for the Veloster. Oddly, if you select 2012 Veloster and search for replacement wheels, they don't show you the 15 or 16 inch sizes - only 17 thru 20 inches. To get the smaller - and more rational - tire/wheel sizes, you need to choose "winter" tire packages.

The Veloster suspension/braking components are largely 2011+ Elantra, so 15s are possible. Although it will take the sharp edge off handling, it hard to argue with the price of the Fuel Max tires in 195/65-15 size listed at $89ea plus shipping, vs the OEM 215/48-18 Kumho KH25's listed on the same site at $148ea, and 22lbs each vs 18lbs each for the 15" FuelMax.

Big wheels are a styling fad, like the tail fins of 1950-1965, the vinyl roof of 1965-1980, the "simulated convertible" roof covering of the 1980s, and the rear trunk wing of the 1990s. The next generation will snicker at 18 inch wheel rims the same way we marvel at how people had their choice of eight different vinyl roof colors to choose from, or those "rear stabilizers" fitted to the hindquarters of cars built during The Forward Look era.

16. xcel

Hi All:

Yesterday when it arrived, it was already getting late. As I was heading to the station for het top off run, it began to sprinkle and then rain. Today it was clear for a few hours and then it started to sprinkle which turned to snow. And while it is melting as it falls, today’s drive is yet another wash out :(

2012 Hyundai Veloster

[​IMG]
    A little snow must fall... Weather service was saying 4 to 7" worth before morning.​

Wayne

17. xcel

Hi All:

Morning of Day 3 and it looks like we are not going anywhere anytime soon.

2012 Hyundai Veloster

[​IMG]
    A little snow must fall … About 6” of the heavy stuff :(

5 Day Weather Forecast

[​IMG]
    Maybe Monday?​

Wayne

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  18. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

JEEX MAXX!! I've been waiting to buy these!! They are being discontinued and not much left! :D. I hope he ignores you :p

19. xcel

Hi All:

Cleaned the drive and here it comes again :rolleyes:

[​IMG]
    "No Veloster For You!"​

First Impressions

From the 30 or so miles on it so far. It is attractive for sure. It is also sporty both outside and in. Grab handles for the doors are not in the arm rests but are separate handles that feel like they belong on a space ship. 7” screen with Hyundai’s Blue Link is cool for a $17,300 car.

The sunroof is unique in that its not only huge -- this “aint” no moonroof” -- but the entire roof is a panoramic plate of glass. When looking out the rear view mirror, you are looking through the top of the roof!

Seats are meant for 20 something’s, not 40 something’s as the bottom and upright seat cushions have bolsters stout enough to hold a NASCAR driver in place at 3G’s.

It has sport written all over it including the Ride. It is rough and probably more so with the 40 series low profile 18’s it is shod with. I am sure it was purposely designed for that. It is also loud.

Braking? Tip into those things and it brakes quickly with little dead band or progression.

Fuel economy… First drive using basics. 51.3 mpgUS per the uncalibrated OEM aFCD. Then it started to snow hard :( Some highway, a few cold starts and she’s down to 45… Hopefully tomorrow we can dig in and find out what this little muscle car (looking that is ;)) has in store.

Wayne

20. xcel

Hi JonNC:

The front or rear seats do not pivot so that bump is going to be there when loading longer items.

Wayne