Honda RidgeLine

Discussion in '4x4's, SUV's and P/U Trucks' started by jebruntlett, Jan 31, 2012.

1. jebruntlett

jebruntlett JohnB

I purchased the ScanGuageII in an attempt to improve my skill in improving the MPG of my 2007 RidgeLine. In over a year of keeping records and careful driving my average is just over 19 mpg. Anyone else have any experience with the RidgeLine?
  2. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

Hi and welcome to CleanMPG!

No, but I have experience in the Odyssey. It's the same drivetrain except you sometimes have AWD and you have gears that run the rpm higher.

- Get it up to speed (45) so it locks into top gear. Then keep it there! Approach hills with a running start so you don't have to downshift on the way up.
    - Keep it rolling. Gears 1-3 are horribly inefficient so stay above them in 4 and 5 as much as possible. (5 especially!)
    - To keep it rolling, look far ahead and anticipate traffic and lights. Brake early if needed so you can get to a green light instead of red. Even 5 mph is better than a full stop.
    - Turn it off when you're not rolling. Every traffic light you sit at costs you 3-4 cents of gas (honda v6 and $3.5 gas). Add that up over a trip and see the potential savings.
    - Keep your cruising speed down. As I mentioned above, yours runs higher rpm on the highway than mine, so the extra speed costs you double in mpg due to rpm and air drag.
  3. chilimac02

chilimac02 Bible Professor & Minister

I would also do the longest trip first, so that the engine is warm for the shorter trips when doing errands. Warm engine = more efficient. PaleMelanesian's advice is good!!
  4. joshdurston

joshdurston Rogue Canadian

I've found my Odyssey to be absolutely hideous around town.18-19 USMPG.
    On the hwy 23-25USMPG.
    Towing our popup trailer 15USMPG.

I blame the transmission for around town it's a very slushy automatic and doesn't like to lock up prematurely. My Skyactiv Mazda's auto transmission was awesome, it's essentially permanently locked up, almost like a dual clutch gear box.
  5. PaleMelanesian

I can usually see 23-25 mpg in town. My wife has averaged 21 mpg total, mostly in town, over the last several years. On the highway 25 is my baseline for poor conditions, 30 when things are right and I'm engaged in driving it the right way. Your Mileage May Vary a lot based on how you drive it.
  6. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

My wife sets the bar low with ~19mpg around town and ~23mpg on the open road in her Ody. It's just a heavy, boxy vehicle. The only thing you can do is keep the speeds low and treat the brake pedal like it's armed to detonate.
  7. PaleMelanesian

Neutral. That's the real magic trick. And no brakes like you said.