CODA Electric Car

Discussion in 'General' started by OriEri, Jan 28, 2012.

1. OriEri

OriEri David

I put down a $99 deposit/reservation on a CODA a few months back. They are actually demoing them so I figure it has decent odds of not being just vaporware. The appeal of this one is fatter battery pack (36kwh, allegedly a 150 mi range, which is probably really 120 miles if you don't want to stress the battery or maybe 100 if you drive highway...anyway) at a Leaf comparable price point.

http://www.codaautomotive.com/

So I get a call from a CODA rep. They have a second battery option of 31kwh for $2700ish dollars cheaper. She said that would deliver in the spring, and the 36kwh option in the fall. I declined the smaller battery and she said nearly all of her customers were doing the same.

Found this press release.
    http://www.codaautomotive.com/news-...ces-more-affordable-mileage-range-option.html

I figure they are either having problems with the larger battery pack, or maybe they have more bodies than batteries and are trying to maximize sales. Either way, I don't think they understand marketing very well. Why get something more or less like a Leaf (but uglier, IMO) for a little less, but from a company that has never built a car before and that could vanish in 2 years if they do badly?

I think CODAs are going to be a real car, and they will start showing up soon in the small battery form and 6 months later in the real form.

2. OriEri

OriEri David

One more thing. When I put down my deposit, my Citi card treated it like a cash advance because they said it had gone to a financial institution and charged me an extra $10 fee. I complained about this to the CODA rep and she said it was the first she had heard of it and they would look into this. Maybe it is only a ****ibank thing. Caveat emptor.

3. Harold

Harold Well-Known Member

Looks like a nice design. Very expensive but I suppose the prices will drop with more orders. I believe we are coming to a end of cheap transportation! Cars like that will probably last for years, so probably worth the out-lay? H

4. herm

herm Well-Known Member

I think they offered the smaller battery to lower the price.. at just under $40k it is the same as a stripped Volt, a loaded PIP, and $2k above a loaded Leaf.. once you take all the tax credits offered it comes in line with the rest of the cars in the market ($30k). Its a car offered for working people with enough tax liabilities to benefit.. a Reagan style tax cut to stimulate the economy :)

5. OriEri

OriEri David

Yeah, kind of pricey but comparable to a Leaf and has the 150 mile range. That is what has me. Operating costs ARE lower. Of course electricity is much cheaper than fossil per mile and the internal systems have a lot fewer moving parts. Electric motors tend to be very reliable.

According to this consumer reports article, a Leaf is about 8 cents/mile cheaper than a comparable Corolla. Over 100,000 miles that is another $8000 off the effective sticker price. Even with the tax break, you are coming in about $10k more than a Corolla, but your carbon footprint is going to be about 1/3.

They will get cheaper, but I bet they will always be pricier than internal combustion.

I REALLY would like a Tesla S. (drool). No way I can afford that though. The 150 mile version is 50k after the federal tax credit. Another $10K for each 150 mile range on top of that. On the other hand if you want a 450 mile range vehicle (comparable to IC) that is your only option. Pay to play, baby!

6. herm

herm Well-Known Member

Plus you get the priced HOV sticker, with proven resale value.. and if the stuff hits the fan this summer you may be only guy driving around without having to worry about $7 a gallon fuel.

7. OriEri

OriEri David

Hits the fan as in Israel bombs Iran, or Iran says they are going to try to close the Strait of Hormuz anyway?

Well, I will have to wait until fall for my 36kWh version according to my CODA "guru" (sales rep), but I am driving bio-diesel anyway. Last time prices skyed a bit, bio diesel moved, but not nearly as much. I suppose at some point if it is a LOT cheaper than fossil-D it will go up.

As an aside, I just heard from Zero Motorcycles which now has a 9kWh bike to go up against Brammo's 10kWh Empulse. . The are both priced the same too. The Zero bike even uses regen braking (have not heard back from Brammo on this yet.) The fuel efficiencies make me drooooooool. I so want one, but both my mom and my friend pointed out that my son would kinda be left in the lurch if something happened to me. . . and then a few weeks later the wife of the guy across the cube aisle who was really encouraging me to get a motorcycle was hurt badly in an accident. I figure I won't, but that ~300 MPGe looks SOOOOO tempting, and then you combine that with the short charge time, and MAN, I WANT IT. Ah well.

Maybe when my boy is out of college

8. herm

herm Well-Known Member

One advantage of the Coda is that it uses LiFePO4 batteries, you can charge those to 100% without issues, unlike the Leaf.

9. OriEri

OriEri David

Following up on the Citicard stink, my CODA sales person said this also happened to someone else who made the mistake of using a Citi card. She writes:

The takeaway here is Citibank sucks.

10. OriEri

OriEri David

Was notified today of a CODA dealership opening up in Santa Clara (one of the many Silicon Valley towns. Adjacent to San Jose, further from SF).

http://www.codaofsiliconvalley.com/

Apparently I will be able to book a test drive shortly. It was reconfirmed that the 150mi range version ships in the second half of year. I am looking forward to seeing what the dashboard offers in terms of GPS, finding charging stations en route, etc.

11. herm

herm Well-Known Member

12. herm

herm Well-Known Member

13. OriEri

OriEri David

I got to test drive one today! The rep was in Palo Alto at the Stanford mall where they are setting up some sort of sustainability store, so he brought it by my house on the way back to the dealership. Now THAT is service. :)

He mentioned the new MPGe numbers and did not understand them either, but he claimed the range was as advertised. The DOE MPGe numbers are disappointing, as is the estimated range. Now if it is something like bad bearings or some other mechanical inefficiency in the power train, one would expect to see the range go down too. Well, the longer range battery packs are not available yet anyway, these are 125 (88?) milers, so I will see how this all shakes out in the next few months. He also said that they are currently delivering the 125 mile ones, so time to look for them on the streets.

It was a good drive, just like a regular car. Comfortable, more comfortable than my 11 year old TDI Jetta. The trunk is a tad on the small size compared to my Jetta, but the back seats do fold down. It is big enough for my purposes.

I only had time to take around the neighborhood for 15-20 minutes. I want to take it on the highway. The Santa Clara dealership is on Stevens Creek not too far from I-280, so one afternoon when I am down that way I will stop by.

Apparently I was driving the first production model off the line that was not sacrificed to crash tests. I feel honored and excited.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  14. herm

herm Well-Known Member

I was expecting a higher range and I am a bit disapointed.. the MPGe numbers dont bother me since those include charger vampire loads and so on.. the characteristics of the motor and inverter might not have been optimized for the EPA cycles, perhaps it was optimized for higher hwy speeds as a guess.

15. DelS

DelS Powered by solar

My wife received this email yesterday:

Key details as they stand right now are:

· Vehicle handover on Friday, March 16 at 10am at the CODA Experience Center in Century City. Attendees to include CODA of Los Angeles (company owner yaddah), (someone) from the Experience Center, a member of CODA management and, of course, you! (We will arrange to meet about 30-45 minutes before the ceremony at the Experience Center)

· The event will be over by 11am

· Your car is black with leather

Now we still have to get a charger. And our permit is almost complete on our new solar panels. I'm pretty stoked. Didn't expect our Coda to arrive that quickly, tbh. :woot:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  16. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Pictures!!! We need lots of pictures when you receive this vehicle! :D

17. herm

herm Well-Known Member

The first CODA, its a historic event!

18. OriEri

OriEri David

19. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

That looks better than I expected -- very nice!

20. herm

herm Well-Known Member

Looks very nice in black... under the hood it looks like a rat's nest.. electrics are supposed to be simple!