Ridiculous claim that natural gas will conquer hybrids

Discussion in 'General' started by Ptero, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Ptero

Ptero Hydrogen Nut, Battery Skeptic

I'm no fan of hybrids over conventional tech but this is too much.
    http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=CNG.460043c1b742ef8b12033b19a574267a.c1&show_article=1

Natural Gas from oil sands will have no price point that is competitive with gasoline. Oil sand extraction requires too much energy to extract petroleum and they are too far away to be competitive with U.S. NG. Where's the NG pipeline? Where's the amortization schedule? This is part of a national government-backed investment scam imho. Caveat emptor.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  2. herm

herm Well-Known Member

"But Marchionne foresees the industry turning instead toward compressed natural gas as an alternative fuel, as gas prices falling due to the huge investments being made in extracting it from shale."

He is not talking about oil sands but shale formations using fracking.. oil sands use whatever NG they can get to heat up the bitumen enough so that they can pump it out, lots of energy required but its free energy since the results is usable oil.

3. Harold

Harold Well-Known Member

I believe they mix NG with the Tar Sands oil so that it can flow in the pipes? They pipe the gas back to Alberta in a smaller line. That is the what they are proposing and showing on the line to Kitmat BC.

4. herm

herm Well-Known Member

I thought they used an organic solvent, its easily removed at the refinery. Its amazing that tar sand oil is economically feasible.

There are some proposals to convert NG onsite to methanol and mix it with the oil, instead of just flaring the NG off like many oil wells do.

5. Harold

Harold Well-Known Member

I cannot see them flaring the NG off, but then oil company's are big spenders! H

6. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

I see fracking - not oil sands as the likely source for CNG vehicles.

CNG vehicles are the cleanest fossil fuel vehicles out there...we reported one environmental group rated a CNG Civic as greener than a Prius. No doubt - CNG is cleaner than a gasser from an operational standpoint.

Obviously the process to drill the gas is the question - is it very dirty?

7. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

Fracking is the dirty thing, the problem being the chemicals they use.

Conventional drilling is as dirty as conventional oil drilling.

The sad thing is that CNG often gets burned off when drilling for oil because it's not worth the trouble of trying to transport and clean it. What's disgusting about this is not that the oil companies do it (they're doing what's most profitable) but that the law allows them to do it.