2013 Ford Fusion raises the bar: EPA 27/37 mpg

Discussion in 'In the News' started by msirach, Dec 14, 2011.

1. msirach

msirach Well-Known Member

[​IMG] Fusion Hybrid: EPA 47/44 mpg

[FIMG=RIGHT]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/2011_Ford_Mondeo_Hatch.jpg[/FIMG]Mike Sirach - CleanMPG - December 14, 2011

The 2013 Ford Fusion is pushing the mpg marks with a huge boost to an EPA rating of 27 mpg city and 37 mpg highway. The hybrid version gets boosted as well with and EPA rating of 47/44 mpg. More horsepower, more torque, and more mpg than the 2012 3.5L will be a welcome addition for future auto shoppers that will be looking at the hybrid and gas versions.

Ford is leaping forward with the EcoBoost technology. With a range from 1.6L to 3.5L, the full model line from Ford can be supplied. The small displacement coupled with new proven technology will put plenty of power and torque matched with fuel efficiency in the the engine bay of the complete Ford line.

Ford just announced today that sales of the Ford F150 with the 3.5L EcoBoost has surpassed the 96,000 mark.

The all-new and striking interior/exterior design

In case you have not read about CleanMPG’s positive views about the all-new 2013 Ford Focus interior/exterior in our detailed look during the 2012 Ford Focus automatic in LA this year... write-up, do so. Think of the upcoming 2013 Fusion as a larger 2012 Focus with more luxury appointments, features, performance and fuel economy! In addition, the sedan pictured is actually a hatch with over 19.4 cu. ft. of rear cargo capacity.

Exterior

Continuing with Ford’s Kinetic design language, the new 2013 Fusion should arrive with Ford’s latest lower trapezoid lower and a slim opening upper grille. Key to the 2013 Fusion’s new and more modern appearance comes about through the much shorter front end overhang adding an aggressive appearance to current Fusion’s somewhat sedate exterior profile.

Incorporated into the new and sleeker front bumpers will be LED daytime running lights and re-designed rear lights that also employ LED technology. Additionally a new rear deck lid treatment matches the revised rear light profile.

Interior

The interior will surely be completely reworked to portray a higher level of quality and sophistication by employing new, higher quality trim materials.

The re-designed center console flows more elegantly, while the door panels feature a new 'toproll' and flush, integrated, door release mechanisms. Further enhancements include a new central overhead console featuring LED ambient lighting, and a woven headliner.

While Ford of Europe is touting the all-new Eco Mode driver information system, expect to see an even more advanced SmartGauge with EcoGuide which even today is still the best OEM driver feedback solution available in any car anywhere.

[​IMG]
    Ford’s standard thick and leather wrapped 4-spoke wheel with incorporated audio and HVAC controls. Expect Ford's SYNC with MyFord Touch.​

Drivetrain

At launch, Fusion customers will receive the 1.6L EcoBoost engine currently available in Europe. While we will not see the hyper efficient 2.0L TDCi turbo-diesel’s, we are going to see an all new hybrid variant with that is being touted as a highway capable monster.

The lightweight all-aluminum construction is the key to the new 1.6L EcoBoost engine. It also features the latest-generation high-pressure direct injection, low-inertia turbocharging and twin independent variable cam timing. It has an advanced combustion system which contributes significantly to achieving new levels of performance and fuel efficiency for petrol engines in this power range.

Ford’s award winning EcoBoost engines with their renowned strong low-end torque was made possible by using advanced turbocharger technology, with small, low-inertia rotors. The 1.6L EcoBoost delivers peak torque from 1,500 rpm through 4500 rpm with a minimum delay of ‘turbo-lag’ when quick acceleration is desired.

Making either powertrain more efficient, a number of Ford’s European ECOnetic Technologies will probably be employed including Smart Regenerative Charging, Ford Eco Mode, and an Active Grille Shutter system just like the Focus SFE. This electronically controlled shutter regulates the airflow through the radiator and engine compartment to reduce aerodynamic drag and benefits engine heating characteristics to improve fuel economy and warm-up performance in cold weather.

The Smart Regenerative Charging system uses advanced technology to ensure the battery stays efficiently charged, increasing alternator output during braking or deceleration and converting this kinetic energy into electric energy, without using additional fuel.

The ‘free’ electric current is then used to recharge the battery and can then be drawn on by the car's electrical systems at a later stage. An advanced management system continually monitors the battery status and communicates with the on-board electronics so the regenerative charging is most effectively applied.

Along with the Hybrid’s advanced eCVT power-split based transmission, we can expect to see Ford’s latest dual wet-clutch six-speed AT with the conventionally powered 1.6L EcoBoost arrive just as the current 2012 Focus comes equipped.

Safety

The all-new 2013 Ford Fusion will include Ford’s comprehensive array of driver assistance features including Lane Departure Warning, Driver Alert and Auto High Beam. Features already incorporated into the current generation Fusion will surely make their way into the new one include the Blind Spot Information System (BLISS), Speed Limiter, Rear Door Power Child Locks and Rear View Camera.
    • Lane Departure Warning - This system employs the forward-looking camera to continuously monitor the road ahead and evaluate where the car is in relation to lane markings. If it detects that a wheel is approaching a lane marking, the driver is alerted to this by a vibration through the steering wheel and is able to take appropriate avoiding action.

This feedback is achieved using an electric motor with asymmetric mass, which generates the vibrations and feeds them into the steering wheel. If the driver uses the turn indicator, or the driving situation suggests an intended lane change, the alert is suppressed. The system's sensitivity has a two-stage adjustment to suit driver preference, while the warning intensity can also be altered to meet an individual driver's taste.

The Lane Departure Warning system is deactivated at speeds below 37 mph to avoid distraction in urban conditions and can also be switched off manually if desired.

• New Driver Alert – The system computes the driver's awareness level, based on statistical analysis of lane information collected by the forward looking camera and the vehicle yaw behavior, and shows it in the instrument cluster on request.

Additionally, if the computed awareness level falls below a pre-set point – for instance, if the driver is getting tired or potentially even falls into micro-sleep – a warning chime sounds along with driver advice in the instrument cluster to take a break.

• New Auto High Beam – The new system maximizes the usage of the headlamp high beam facility to improve driver vision significantly during night conditions. It also makes use of the forward-looking camera to detect light sources ahead and, in the case of oncoming vehicles, automatically switches the lights to low beam to avoid glare.

Additionally, the system will detect red tail lights ahead, even those with lower luminance, to make sure motorists in front are not distracted by high beam lights shining in their rear view mirrors. The high beam is also automatically deactivated in urban areas.

• Blind Spot Information System (BLISS) - This radar-based system encourages the driver to be even more thorough when checking for passing vehicles, by providing an alert to any adjacent vehicle in the driver's blind spot zones on both left and right sides of the vehicle.

It utilizes two multiple-beam radar modules located on the outer corners of the rear bumper, which identify vehicles entering a defined blind spot zone and illuminate an LED indicator light on the corresponding side view mirror. This provides the driver with a strong visual warning that a vehicle is adjacent.

The defined blind spot area ranges from the side mirror to approximately 10 feet behind the rear of the vehicle, with a side looking range of about 10 feet as well. The system automatically operates from speeds as low as 6 mph – a much broader operational range than other comparable systems currently available on the market.

• Speed Limiter was designed to help the driver set a speed limit of choice, which the vehicle will then prevent them from unintentionally exceeding. Independently of the vehicle's current speed, with Speed Limiter the driver can select a maximum speed (such the appropriate urban speed limit or a temporary construction zone speed limit) beyond which the accelerator pedal will not accept additional input. The driver can drive the car normally up to that pre-selected speed.

The instrument panel display provides the driver with information about the set speed and the system status. When necessary, the system can be overruled by throttle pedal "kick-down".

• Rear Door Power Child Locks - The rear power window deactivation switch in the driver's door panel also operates a rear door power lock. This feature offers customers more flexibility, convenience and control when carrying children in the rear seats.

• LED Day Running Lights are located on either side adjacent to the bumper vents. The four-LED units enhance the Fusion’s aggressive appeal and create a unique appearance for the all-new model.

By using the latest LED technology, power consumed by the daytime running lights is limited and has virtually no impact on fuel consumption.

• LED Tail Lamps - All versions of the upcoming 2012 Ford Fusion will incorporate long-lasting LED tail and brake lights as standard, contributing to high visibility and adding a distinctive night time appearance.

• Rear View Camera and Parking Distance Sensors. This system provides a clear, wide view of the area to the rear of the car, displayed automatically on the seven-inch color display screen when reverse gear is selected. The wide-angle view provided is of a sufficiently low level to help the driver avoid small obstacles and to reduce the risk of reversing into them.
    Infotainment

Expect Ford’s latest SYNC to be standard equipment with MyFord Touch a san option with a Sony labeled Stereo system similar to the Titanium trimmed 2012 Focus we drove back in April.

1.6L EcoBoost Engine Specifications (Preliminary)

Engine Type: 1.6L I-4 w/ EcoBoost
    Cylinder head: DOHC aluminum alloy with sintered valve guides and seats
    Cylinder block: Die casting aluminum alloy
    Crankshaft: Cast iron with 47mm-diameter crankpins, eight counterweights, five 52mm-diameter main bearings and damped front pulley
    Pistons: Die cast
    Connecting rods: Drop forged & fractured

Displacement (cu.in.): 97.4
    Bore x Stroke (in): 3.11 x 3.20 in
    Max power (HP): 173 (projected)
    Max torque (lb-ft): 177 (projected)
    Compression ratio: 10.0:1
    Valves per cylinder: 4
    Turbocharger: Borg Warner K03 low inertia integrated turbo system
    Engine management: Bosch MED17 with CAN-Bus and individual knock control
    Fuel injection: High pressure gasoline direct injection with 7-hole injectors
    Ignition: Coil on plug, distributor less electronic
    Emission controls: Close coupled three way catalyst system with heated oxygen sensors and catalyst monitor sensors post catalyst

Transmission type

6-speed dual wet-clutch automatic transmission

Download the 2013 Ford Fusion Mobile App and get behind the wheel of a virtual 2013 Ford Fusion.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  2. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

MT? ..........

3. msirach

No word on that. With the huge mpg boost with the auto, maybe, maybe not.

4. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

Looks like smart alternators are a new standard.

Hybrid 44/47? Nice. That's Ford's new hybrid system plus a shift to lithium? Interesting that it has better highway than city but I guess that's weight. 44/47 means it will almost certainly meet the long-term CAFE standard.

5. Earthling

Earthling Trying to be kind to Mother Earth

And it will tempt me into trading in my Prius for a hybrid Fusion.

Harry

6. herm

herm Well-Known Member

The new 1.6L Ecoboost has more horsepower and torque than the old 2.5L engine.. pretty neat.

7. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

44/47 .....nice.

Toyota's BMS in hybrids (excluding the Highlander) has been near perfect thus far. Honda -- not so much.

How about Ford? I haven't heard of many failures.

/ Top 2 reasons people are slow to adopt hybrids: 1. Initial purchase price. 2. Fear of battery/ electronic repair$.

8. msirach

Article came out today about "Hybrids today are Sexy." I haven't read that one yet.:D

Does making hybrids more mainstream make them sexy?

9. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Ford probably saw how many MT-equipped Fusions they have sold from the current generation ( three ? four ?) and said "Hmmmm , we can make a larger profit selling them PowerShift cars cuz everyone knows Americans don't want manual transmissions."

10. PaleMelanesian

Well, that puts me out of their pool of customers. I don't HAVE to buy anything from anyone, so if they don't offer what I want, they don't get my money.

11. wick1ert

wick1ert Well-Known Member

Thought the same thing myself. Larger, more powerful, better design.....just can't afford to acquire another car payment at the moment.

I'm still happy getting into and driving my Prius, and that says a lot for me. Usually by now I'm ready for something new.

12. msirach

The 2012 has a manual so I'm sure the 2013 will get one as well. What will that push the EPA to?

The official specs have not been released yet.

13. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

Every report I read on the fusion MT had it running well above EPA. At some point you have to wonder if those EPA numbers were sand bagged for marketing purposes.

I guess that's better than Ford slapping an "Eco" badge on it and charging an extra $3,000 to avoid cannibalizing the automatic sales.

14. rfruth

rfruth Well-Known Member

44/47 MPG for the hybrid, is that backwards (yea I saw the part about the next generation of powersplit technology, would that do it) ?

15. uRabbit

uRabbit Well-Known Member

Big Blue FTMFW :) :flag:

16. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

Possibly. Another site mentioned 47mpg city.

17. msirach

Good Catch! You were paying attention. I just corrected it and added a link to the Ford Fusion Mobile App for the iPhone Droid that you can sit behind the wheel of the 2013 Ford Fusion and navigate several different courses.

18. PaleMelanesian

IFF it's available with a manual, I'd love a 1.6 Ecoboost Fusion. 27/37 is roughly the same as my Civic's 28/35, while being a bigger and fancier car. Nice.

19. moneysaver

moneysaver Well-Known Member

I have yet to come across EPA release or Ford acknowledgment of these figures. Where are these numbers coming from? Fueleconomy.gov doesn't even have 2013 option....

20. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

I think a Ford rumor site started it.