Honda IMA Techniques

Discussion in 'General' started by GoZoner, Dec 4, 2011.

1. GoZoner

GoZoner Active Member

For newer IMA engines, like a 2011 CR-Z or similar, what are some of the techniques for managing the IMA? For optimal mileage should one strive to keep the IMA at 7 or 8 bars - like because the engine controller enters a different MPG control mode? If the IMA is not full, should one ever favor coasting in neutral versus regeneration? Any special considerations for the 6MT CR-Z?

2. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi GoZoner:

High enough SoC that there is no forced charging and limit regen unless you have to slow quickly or come to a stop if possible. Either a NIOCE-On or FAS work best for optimization.

The 6-speed stick is pretty easy to keep out of the pack with light throttle in ECO. I have not driven the CVT.

Wayne

3. GoZoner

GoZoner Active Member

What is 'NIOCE-On'? I'm not ready for FAS (Although, I've been able to get into Honda 'auto stop' at the top of a hill (< 18mph in traffic) and keep in auto stop up to >65 mph on the 2.2 mile downhill.)

I think I had a break-through with using throttle to stay off the IMA. The first 80 miles of my commute I can get an indicated 50 mpg but then the last 25 miles drop me down to 47.5 overall. Last time, I worked the throttle on some downhills and kept the mileage to 49 mpg. Luck, weather, or technique, not sure yet.

My nemesis is a 2.2 mile climb of 350 meters. I'm getting a baseline right now with all the different CR-Z modes in CC at ~ 65 mph over 5 miles (up the hill and then slightly down after that). My best so far is 31.5 mpg after 5 miles. Haven't tried DWL yet. The engine can't hold speed in 6th gear; so down to 5th for the climb.

4. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

He meant NICE-On —> Neutral Internal Combustion Engine On (coasting in neutral with the engine idling).

5. GoZoner

GoZoner Active Member

Thanks. NICE-On I readily do but usually only when the IMA is at 7 or 8 bars. As Wayne suggested, might be worth trying NICE-On at fewer bars (provided auto-regen doesn't kick in).

6. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

The car shouldn't regen when the engine is idling in neutral unless the SoC is really low.