New Battery Technology?

Discussion in 'General' started by FXSTi, Dec 4, 2011.

1. FXSTi

FXSTi Well-Known Member

2. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

I've said it before that I feel it's going to be at least 2020 before we start to see the major advances in battery technology that are going to needed to make BEV's consumer friendly.

What I mean by that, is once we can get an electric vehicle to be able to have the same range as a gasoline vehicle such as 300 plus miles, that can also be fully recharged under 20 minutes you'll have a vehicle that will fly off the showroom floors.

We already have battery packs that will last 200K miles, Toyota has already proven that.

The trick is increasing the electrical capacity and decreasing the recharging time.

We'll get there but it will be at least a decade away.

This new process is a nice jump in technology towards our journey there.

3. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Al:

Yup. A quadrupling of range at 1/5 the price with 15-minute charges would make the BEV viable but right now, the lab tech is still to "pie in the sky" and the charge rate infrastructure would be ridiculously expensive.

But I still hope ;)

Wayne

4. herm

herm Well-Known Member

30 years from now we will be talking about a gasoline synthesizer in your garage, you feed it poop and out comes gasoline for your antique Mustang.. and complain that it costs too much, it only produces a dribble per day and it smells bad.