New Treads for the Prius

Discussion in 'Toyota Prius Family' started by msirach, Nov 28, 2011.

1. msirach

msirach Well-Known Member

Our 2010 Prius turned 2 years old in early June and is pushing 60,000 miles. Maintenance has been nearly non existent. I did pay $35 this summer to get an airbag light cleared. It was showing an alarm for a side airbag and they found a loose connection.
    The Yokahama Avid's have performed well, but are ready to be changed.

I have looked at several brands and finally settled on the Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max P195/65R-15 89H VSB from Discount Tire. The last few sets of tires have came from Tire Rack, but they couldn't come close to the Discount Tire deal.

From Discount Tire,they were $104 each and $416 for a set of four. There was a $50 online ordering discount which brought the "out the door" price down to $366 with FREE shipping and $0.00 tax. After I receive them, I can submit a form for $40 back from Good Year.
    To get them installed locally and tire disposal will be about $70. So the total installed price will be less than $400.

2. Harold

Harold Well-Known Member

That is a very good price! I paid 200 more, but then I am in Canada! Have you had them on long and what are your thoughts on these skins? H

3. bestmapman

bestmapman Fighting untruth and misinformation

Re : New Treads for the Prius

I am approaching 80,000 on my Prius and also need some new tires shortly.

4. msirach

Re: Re : New Treads for the Prius

80,000. Wow, you have been driving! Did yours come with the Potenza's?

5. bestmapman

bestmapman Fighting untruth and misinformation

Re : Re: Re : New Treads for the Prius

Since we went down to 1 car, we use it for everything now, so it racks up the mileage. The tires are Bridgestone Ecopia EP-20. They still have some tread left, but with winter approaching, I an going to get a new tires with fresh tread as winter sets in.

6. msirach

The Potenzas have more tread than I usually change, but this is my wife's car.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk 2010 Prius (CAN Touring) Staff Member

Re: Re : Re: Re : New Treads for the Prius

IMHO the Bridgestone Ecopia EP20 is a good combo: LRR, relatively cheap, long wearing. Downsides I can think of, based on the Bridgestone Insignia SE200, with identical tread pattern:

1. Get's noisy over time.

2. Snow traction get's really bad once the tread is down to say 5~6/32" remaining.

If you're using separate snows the latter is a moot point.

The EP20 is the replacement tire I put on our previous '06 Civic Hybrid, it's still in the family. They're available through Costco, though we had to wait a while for ours. I actually just had them in my hands, swapping to snow tires for my son, and some kilometers now they're looking fine, light, even wear.

8. msirach

I just ordered them. I got shipping and tracking info this morning. It will be at least Friday before I can get them put on if they get here.

9. Harold

Harold Well-Known Member

O.k, I thought you already had them mounted! H

10. msirach

The new tires came in yesterday from Discount Tire. Good Price, prompt shipping, and great tracking info gave me a great experience Discount Tire Online. Free shipping on 76lbs. of tires clenched the deal. I had them installed at a regional tire dealer in my town today. My neighbor is the general manager and didn't hassle me when he saw me at the counter (again) with a set of tires from "elsewhere." $76 for mounting, balancing, and disposal and I was out the door. I didn't try to get them pressed to the "proper" psi since I live about 2 miles from the shop. The door placard 35psi front and 33psi rear would be fine until I got home.....I THOUGHT!

This light illuminated about 1 mile from home.
    [​IMG]

The tire pressures were: 33 lf, 30 lr, 29.5 rr, 29 rf. I was in a hurry so I only put 45 psi all around. The sidewall max recommended pressure is 51psi. I was happy to see that they were stamped: Made in the USA

I just drove a few miles near town this evening. Tomorrow they will get a couple of hundred miles on them. So far they feel like they handle well and are more quiet than the replaced Potenza's.

11. Harold

Harold Well-Known Member

You can reset the TPS by pushing the button under the steering column. H

12. msirach

I thought I would have to, but after airing up the tires, the alarm cleared. I called the tire shop and told them they needed to give that technician a new gauge though. He probably just needed to pay a little better attention to what he was looking at.

13. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

Well, on Wednesday I had snow tires put on the Prius. I got Michelin X-Ice Xi-2 (or whatever they're called). So far they're having a noticeable negative effect on glides and required power. I chose them because we're mostly main road drivers so we have more dry to snow driving and don't have to deal with much ice, which was the only slight weakness Tire Rack identified in their testing.

Naturally, my wife loves the winter tires. She said they that were quieter and had better traction (than the balding Yokohama Avids) and wishes we could have them on all year. However I haven't checked the pressure yet :eek: so I might be able to do something about the lack of noise. :D

Last year I drove through the winter on the Avids, just adjusting to the poor conditions. But, not only are they getting low on tread, but now I'll be working from home 1 day each week. Also, my wife will likely be doing double my miles on another day. So, if I want her to drive the Prius 2 days each week through the winter I need to get winter tires on. Actually, I'd like to pool again (my pooler got a different job), whether in a car or a van pool, so she could end up driving it every day.

In the spring I'll get new summer tires. Maybe Fuel Max, but maybe something rated better for wet roads. Maybe even more Primacy All Seasons since my wife seems happy with those on the Civic.

14. msirach

How many miles do you have on the Avids? I was mistaken in an earlier post. Ours had 57,600 on them when they were changed yesterday.

The Avids were noisy throughout their life, but nothing like Dunlops on Hondas. The Goodyear at 45 psi really didn't gain any noise from the 30psi drive home. I'm going to bump them to 60psi in the morning. That is what the Avids were at for all of their life. Well, they were at a FEW more psi for some 1000+ mile road trips though when I was the only one driving it.

15. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

tweeted ;)

Wayne

16. msirach

Just arrived back home after a 300 mile shopping trip today to St. Louis on the new Goodyear Assurance. The odometer registered a 1000 miles on the new tread after we left the highway entering the subdivision.

I know it's too early to tell for sure, but so far the mpg is registering about a 20% hit. The winter fuel must have hit now too and coupled with the colder temps and new tires it is wreaking havoc. I can't believe all of it would be the new tires.

17. Harold

Harold Well-Known Member

For sure it is not the tires. H

18. FSUspectra

FSUspectra Practicing true conservatism!

Not entirely anyways... Some of it may be the slightly increased diameter of the tires due to fresh tread, vs worn. Unless you took that into account, of course! ;)

19. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

The Yokohama Avids had between 39k and 40k miles. The tread passed inspection but not by much. I think I was running 40/38 or 39/37 a lot because of the shared driving with my wife finding them too skittish on lower-grip surfaces at 44/42 or 43/41.

20. mudskipper

mudskipper New Member

Just wanted to share that I recently replaced the OEM tires on my 2010 Prius (managed to get 58K) with Yokohama's Avid Touring S model, mostly due to price. My usual 56-57 mpg is now down to 50-51! The drop in efficiency definitely correlates with the tire replacement. It was an unfortunate choice, I think...