Anyone here insulate their vehicle?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheStepChild, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Just wondering if anyone else has insulated their vehicle?

Its not much weight, 100 sq ft of the stuff I used in the Silverado was 25.1 pounds shipped. And 100 sq ft was almost enough to do the whole truck, a crew cab, floor, ceiling, doors and back wall.

I mainly did it to lower road noise and, many times Ive been out in the middle of no-where and run out of hours (DOT rules, I have to run a log book and all that crap), and stopped for the night catching a nap in the back seat. I cant sleep with the truck running. So winter time I have a 0 degree sleeping bag with me for those times I cant get a room somewhere.

What I instantly noticed after insulating the truck this summer was less heat coming in off the drivetrain, and I didnt have to run the A/C as hard to keep the truck cool while driving, and its a lot quieter too:woot:

2. Here's a few random pics of the project.

Basically, remove EVERYTHING, insulate, re-install.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

dont look too bad for over 300,000 miles :) :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. southerncannuck

southerncannuck Well-Known Member

Yes, I have. I once had a Mustang GT that was so loud it hurt. More recently I added leaded sheets to the back third of the FIT. It helped, but I stopped before I did the doors. Since I no longer commute on the highway, roadnoise isn't a problem. Good luck, and happy dreams.

4. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

This may not exactly be the answer you were asking for, but cardboard in front of the radiator allows the engine to warm up faster - big rigs even have kits for that.

5. Yea, Ive got the chevy winter front covers.

I was just posting this here, beacuse Ive noticed less a/c use with it during summer time temps and thought it might help others run more efficiently. work the a/c or heat less, less strain on the engine... IDK maybe not

6. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

7. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

As far as the cabin is concerned, I just insulate myself. It's not a bad idea, though. Whether or not the heat and A/C improvements are real I bet the sound deadening effect is noticeable. That could make it worth the trip by itself.

8. FSUspectra

FSUspectra Practicing true conservatism!

That's actually a really good idea, if you're in the vehicle that often. Could very well be worth doing here to help keep cool (until the sun hits the glass that is). Would it not also make it take longer for the car to cool off?

9. EVuser

EVuser Well-Known Member

Pickups don't have a lot of glass but heat rejecting window tints make a big difference for stopping heat gain. They aren't all that dark if you don't want them to be. It isn't about the darkness but about the metals in the premium coatings. Makes the difference between huge heat gain in the summer and some heat gain. Electric a/c on the Force (BEV) couldn't handle temps above 90 before tinting with a good heat rejecting tint.

My old camping van is comfortable into the -20's with insulation fiberglass stuffed into every area. But if it is cold soaked it is still all about getting it warmed up first so volume is a big enemy. The oem roof color on the van was dark green and changing it to white also made the a big summer cooling difference. Roof probably lost a bit of heat gain in the winter, but a fair trade.

Motorcycle fans have some neat 12v powered clothing for creature comfort. But I think waste heat off the engine is better if you have it. The electric seats on my Accord show a real mpg drop on the SG.

Mike

10. Bell

Bell New Member

A lot of the van dwellers will insulate their vans/homes. One needs to take into consideration where all to be insulated whether or not the surrounding areas will be all cleared out for possible mess should one choose a spray on insulator material option.

A lot of the long range travelers, campers, RVers, and van dwellers will insulate their coolers and fridges more than they might already be just to help them cool better and easier. They sell an insulator wrap designed for such purpose(s) in the RV shops. It's very light weight, able to be trimmed and shaped to specifics very easily, and isn't too costly either. I should have picked up a roll to try it on my cooler/car fridge, since it takes way too long to cool in the Summer and to stay cool, especially on short trips while in-town running my errands.

Some people will install a cargo net that fits ever so nicely on the inside of their roofs of their vehicles to store coats, blankets, and what have ya for ease. Doing so should act also like an insulator to a tiny bit.

I'd love to hear how y'all insulate without having to remove covers to doors and walls while also not making it noticable.