New Ranger Driver

Discussion in 'Start Your Journey Here' started by k_redball92, Nov 15, 2011.

1. k_redball92

k_redball92 Active Member

I'm a college student with a 2000 Ford Ranger 3.0 4x4. I live in NE Ohio, so I definitely enjoy the 4-wheel drive with all the lake effect snow, but I cant stand getting only 17-18 MPG freeway...I'm just here to learn a few tips to push that number up into the 20s...

2. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to CleanMPG.

We suggest you start with the CleanMPG Primer. It contains or links to important information for hypermilers.

The good news for you is that the Ford Ranger can return some great numbers for a pick-up and many people here lament Ford letting it die in the US market.

3. k_redball92

Thanks for the links..I'll be sure to read as much of it as I can! Does anyone know if there's any information on what kind of MPGs other ranger drivers are getting? I'm new to the site, so I'm still kinda slow as far as navigating

4. msirach

msirach Well-Known Member

Welcome to CleanMPG k_redball92! I have a 96 Mazda B4000 4x4 which is a Ranger with a different badge. I will post more later. You have hope!

5. Welcome. I've got a.ranger but haven't had it long enough to know the mpgs.

6. k_redball92

Thanks for the welcome guys! and yes I know the Mazdas are the exact same thing as the rangers...im looking forward to seeing some of your numbers msirach, and yours step child in the future.

7. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

If you go to the Mileage Log link on the left-hand side, you can display all the vehicles and search the page for Ranger. From the logs you can see that there are plenty of Rangers in the 30s. With your larger engine and 4WD you'll find it harder, but I'm sure the pick-up drivers here can help you raise your mileage.

8. msirach

Mine is the 4.0 liter. It will give about 25 mpg on the highway with a 55 mph speed limit. Getting it rolling sucks a lot of gas though. I keep a little over sidewall psi in the tires, Synthetic 0-20w oil, and a Scangauge II is mandatory. Timing lights, driving with load on hills, and maintaining steady throttle pressure will help. I can see 30, 40, and 50 mpg on straight aways, but the accelerations drag the numbers down. I just looked at FuelEconomy.gov and the numbers for your truck are less than mine though.

2000 Ford Ranger 4x4 3.0 liter 14/15/18
    1996 Mazda B4000 4x4 4.0 liter 15/16/20

9. k_redball92

Yeah..18 freeway....which is about what ive always gotten so it's been pretty accurate...but I thought for a small 6 and no weight other than myself in the truck..I sud have been able to get at least 20 mpg...I know what you mean about the gas to get it rolling...I really do need an MPG gauge but I cant really buy one until after I pay for books and tuition next semester lol...I've always kept my tires at the recommended 30 psi, but reading that article in the primer thread really wants me to raise it up to the max sidewall which is 44psi...and for oil I have the valvoline 5w-30 recommended weight. Does using the lighter synthetic 0-20w change the way the engine wears at all? Also this spring, I plan to do a complete tune-up..spark plugs, wires, fuel filter, everything. Right now my goal is get at least 20 MPG...that would really save alot...I'm driving home this weekend..about 120 miles round trip all freeway...so I'll pump up the tires and keep the CC at 55 and see what that does...Thanks for the help!

10. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

I would not put 0W-20 in your truck because it isn't spec'd for that. You certainly can put 0W-30 in without issues, though.

Frankly, you'll see more improvement from the tire pressure and any issues a tune up would correct than you will from the oil. I still run 5W-30 non-synthetic in my Elantra and it will regularly return over 60mpg when driven "properly." ;)

Oil weight will make a bigger difference in small displacement and finely tuned hybrid engines... which is why those are spec'd for the 0W-20. A lot of newer vehicles are also spec'd for it as well.

11. herm

herm Well-Known Member

You can also try driving without the tailgate, its saves a lot weight and reduces drag.. that alone will bring you over your goals. Also check the alignment once in a while, bad alignment can waste a lot of gas. Check the http://ecomodder.com/ forum, look at the interesting low drag shells members have built.

12. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

http://www.trucktestdigest.com/TTDfeatures/FeatureTailgateUporDown.htm
    Also, this from a study done at Texas Tech.
    [​IMG]

Your best easy answer for aerodynamics is a flat bed cover.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  13. k_redball92

Thanks for all the great tips guys, I probably wont be able to go too expensive. Maybe a homemade bed cover is the best I can manage for now, and Thanks right Lane for the information on the oil...I might invest in the 0w-30 when it's time for a change...that really is an interesting chart pale, strange how the tailgate down slightly increases drag...I'm studying Civil Engineering, but I havent taken a class on fluid dynamics yet...but im definitely looking forward to studying this more...

14. PaleMelanesian

The issue is the angle between the cab and the tailgate. Swirling air forms a bubble in the bed and the fast air skims over the top of that. The ideal rear taper is about 12 degrees, and drag gets worse as you go steeper. The dropped tailgate has a steeper angle.

Take a look at the rear taper on any of the supercars out there, from Bugatti to Ferrari to Aston Martin to Lexus to Corvette to... They all have about a 12 degree slope. Low drag is better not only for saving fuel but also for speed - you don't need as much horsepower to go faster.

15. msirach

Another thing you can try is to take advantage of fuel cut. Watch the tach and the shifting of the 4 speed automatic which is probably what you have. Keep the engine rpm below 2000. I hauled over 500lbs. of tools yesterday about 60 miles round trip. There are a few hills on the route that I was able to let off the gas and maintain over 50 mph coasting down in gear. As long as the speed is over 50 mph, the truck will go into fuel cut and the Scangauge registers 0.0gph and 9999mpg. One downhill is entering a city that drop from 55 to 50 to 45 to 35 to a stop sign over about 1 mile. At 55 mph I let off the gas. At the bottom of the 1st incline, it drops to about 50 mph and I drop it into 3rd gear. I have the push button on the gear stalk to take it out of 4th od. In 3rd gear it stays in fuel cut to 30 mph. I shift into 2nd gear and it enters fuel cut again and I slow to the stop sign. I bucked a 20 mph headwind for 30 miles there and it had calmed by the time I headed home at 6pm. I traveled about 2 miles on a gravel road with a very steep hill and ended up at 20.6 mpg on the Scangauge.

Oil: Yes, 0-20w is not the recommended, but this is what I use in the other hybrids and I buy it by the case. I bought the truck in spring 08 with 100,000 miles on it and it was paid for with the Federal tax credit for hybrids (except $500). I bought it since I am required to get to work through rain, snow, sleet, or hail. (I don't work for the Pony express. :D) It is used on my days off for my projects and I loan it to friends without a truck.

When it was purchased, the oil was changed to the synthetic and it has about 139,000 on it now. The oil and filter is changed at about 10,000 miles. I have never had to add oil to it and it still doesn't leak any oil.

I do have 60 psi in the 10.50's. Yes, it rides rough.

A Scangauge is really needed to watch what the engine is doing.

16. k_redball92

Interesting...I never knew it cut fuel that much when coasting...and yes I do have the 4-speed auto with the button on the shifter to shut overdrive off. That's definitely something I have to try. I drive alot of Hills in Pennsylvania, and some of the grades are 6-8% so I should definitely be able to save some there... Usually when I make a trip, I try to keep track of the mileage. I calculated 18.6 MPG...which is around the EPA estimate, but I never thought about changing the shifting on hills like that..that 18.6 was the highest I ever recorded for a single trip, and it was a warm day, driving 55-60 mostly downhill for about 100 miles... Usually though, I only see 17 max....and wow that was a good deal for all that oil lol..I know what you mean about driving through rain, snow, sleet, and hail... especially the snow...I always find myself on I-80 in the winter, counting the numbers of semis/cars that go off the road lol...This weekend if I find the time, I think im going to try and make a truck cover out of angle iron and plywood...then see if that improves anything...

17. check craigslist. theres a lot of used ranger parts on CL around here

18. herm

herm Well-Known Member

It does not cost anything to remove the tailgate, try it for a couple of weeks and report back.

19. k_redball92

Hey StepChild, I just checked out craigslist, but it doesnt look very promising at least in my area. There's just not much there as far as covers go, but ill keep looking. And thanks for the tip herm, but my problem is I dont have a place to put the tailgate when I take it off lol...I live on campus, and there's no storage...if I get the chance though, I am very curious to test it. Maybe when I get some extra cash to buy a scanguage, that would tell me right away if it's working or not.

20. PaleMelanesian

How about some plywood for a quick bed cover?