Prius c debut at Detroit 2012 NAIAS

Discussion in 'Toyota Prius Family' started by msirach, Nov 15, 2011.

1. msirach

msirach Well-Known Member

[​IMG] Prius c with superior fuel economy

[FFLASH=RIGHT]http://www.youtube.com/v/J55UlWJpy9g?version=3[/FFLASH]Mike Sirach - CleanMPG - November 15, 2011

The latest addition to the Prius Family will be presented at the 2012 North American International Auto Show in Detroit. The most fuel efficient hybrid with the best price will be in dealers showrooms in the spring.

The new Yaris sized subcompact member will feature the proven reliability of the Hybrid Synergy Drive coupled with the established 1.5 liter 16-valve VVT-i engine. Toyota has designed the Prius c to appeal to the youthful segment of the market searching for features such as fuel efficiency, sporty handling, and loaded with technology.

The new Toyota Entune multimedia system will be the heart of the cabin technology. Smartphone technology will provide fully integrated access to navigation, entertainment, and information services. Popular smartphone apps can be accessed as well as real-time live weather, traffic, fuel location and price, stocks, sports, and more. More can be read the features of Entune at: Meet Toyota’s Infotainment Solution Called Entune.

The Prius c is slated to be offered loaded with convenience features that is unparalleled in other five door models.

2012 Prius c specifications

Column1Column2Column3Column4Column5
    MeasurePrius cPriusPrius vPrius Plug-in
    Length (in.)157.3176.4181.7176.4
    Width (in.)66.768.769.968.7
    Height (in.)56.958.76258.7
    Wheelbase (in.)100.4106.3109.4106.3
    Gasoline Engine1.5liter DOHC four-cylinder, 16-valve with VVT-i1.8liter DOHC four-cylinder, 16-valve with VVT-i 1.8liter DOHC four-cylinder, 16-valve with VVT-i 1.8liter DOHC four-cylinder, 16-valve with VVT-i
    Emission CertificationSULEV SULEV with AT-PZEV SULEV SULEV SULEV with AT-PZEV SULEV

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Toyota has also promised the Prius c to be the most economically priced hybrid on the market with the best fuel efficiency.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2011
  2. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting -- this is not as good looking as the concept, but it is better than the earlier images seemed to be.

Man, I *wish* they made this a plugin with a 5-10kWh lithium pack! C'mon Toyota, please leapfrog to the best efficiency technology!

3. rfruth

rfruth Well-Known Member

How come the c and v are SULEV but the Prius & the PHEV are SULEV with AT-pzev - which is cleaner or are they about the same ?

4. msirach

It's a move in the right direction though. Toyota has an iron clad hybrid system and they are moving in baby steps to ensure their success. The 13 mile pack in the Prius Plug-In was a disappointment, but it is still an improvement. If you look at the progress from the year 2000, you can see the improvement and also see that momentum is building.

5. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

They did manage to uglify the car considerably from the beautiful concept, but I can live with the plain, bland looks as long as it comes in some other color. This is the number 1 car on my prospective buy list and I'm overdue for another car. I hope they can keep their promise and have it for sale next year.

We finally get to see the car in motion, but we don't get any weight spec. I eagerly await any news you have on this model. Thanks for the post.

6. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

Interpolataguestimating from the JC info, I think the Prius C will "EPA out" between 52 and 56 mpg.

Toyota’s Prius Chief Engineer Reveals The Future Of The Automobile. Part Three: A Game Changer In The Compact Class
    http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...rt-three-a-game-changer-in-the-compact-class/

"With an unheard-of fuel efficiency of 35 km/L (82.3 mpg) as measured under the new Japanese JC08 test cycle, or 40 km/L (94 mpg) when measured in the 10-15 cycle, the car is 30 percent better than its segment competitors."

/Even if Toyota could achieve a combined 60 mpg on the EPA, I might expect them to sandbag/"detune" the numbers for marketing purposes.... saving "upgraded numbers" for future model years.
    // ..and again, I think once you start beating a real world 60 mpg, it's hard to justify adding the extra battery/plug from a monetary/ease of use standpoint -- unless we start seeing gas shortages.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  7. uRabbit

uRabbit Well-Known Member

Excited to see the price. Toyota is creating a new class here, that others will follow suit. If it's below $25,000, that's pretty awesome. I hope for sub $20,000, however.

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk 2010 Prius (CAN Touring) Staff Member

Sounds like it will be the fuel economy leader. My only quibble: maybe someday they'll put the essential instruments in front of the driver.

9. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

It's the different engine.

AT-PZEV is CARB's Advanced Technology Partial Zero Emission Vehicle meaning that they get partial Zero Emission Vehicle credits by means of the advanced technology (here hybridization).

10. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

Ditto here! —unless it's too small inside to haul bikes (etc.) as easily as an Accent (=Rio) hatchback or my old car.

11. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

I would carry my bike on a rack mounted on the back of the Prius c , and put up with the significant MPG hit for the 50-100 miles a year I might have the bike on the car.

12. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

13. 2RR2NV

2RR2NV Ultimate Newbie

yeah, what is the deal with putting the dash in the center? that's a major neg for me. i hardly use my eyes to see the stereo (just do it by feel mainly) cause i want to keep my eyes on the road and just glance down quickly. to look over would be irritating as heck to see how fast i'm going or what RPMs.

but i must admit, that one actually looks cool.

I doubt it'll be sub 20k, but i can always dream. Maybe they'll do something about that dash when it comes time buy something to replace the LRE.

14. tkeller

tkeller Well-Known Member

Meh. Looks like the hatchbacks that all the other car companies are making now.

15. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

Toyota is sacrificing ergo (and a bit of safety, imo) for world wide production costs. Center dash means you don't have to change production on those parts for l/h - r/h drive.

16. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

Ditto. I want the instruments back where they belong. The cluster is close enough in the 2G Prius but has gone annoyingly away from the driver with each of the 3G and the v. I showed an interior picture of the v to my wife and that was the first thing she noticed, followed by a funny look and some comment about "stupid" that, fortunately, wasn't directed at me.

17. msirach

2011 base Honda Insight is $18,950. I'm sure it will increase a few hundred for 2012. We can round it up to $19,500. Toyota has stated numerous times that the Prius c will be the cheapest hybrid AND the most fuel efficient. They have a model now to drive a nail in the coffin on the Honda Insight. Let's see if they will.

18. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

Direct competition, no doubt. Toyota may have trouble coming under $20k with this. The HSD appears to be substantially more complicated to manufacture than the IMA. I'd like to be wrong, but I'm afraid the size of the car (i.e. Prius vs Prius C) won't matter a lot in these costs.

I'd like to drive the 2012 Insight and see how the upgrades turned out.

/I expect the Prius C real world mpg to hold against or possibly beat EPA (unlike the Prius, which often underperforms for average drivers). The C will cut a lower profile (from the front AND side) making it less susceptible to winds/crosswinds/ dense cold air -- the lower the car's weight the better chance it has against EPA as well. IOW, I suspect the Prius C (like the Insight ii) will have a more "durable" mpg -- less likely to get beat down in adverse conditions.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  19. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

You are right about the complexity of the hybrid system as compared to IMA... but you forgot to take into account the severe overpricing Honda is doing for their (basically) hybridized Fit (AKA as the new Insight :rolleyes:).

20. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

Which would mean Honda can counter if Toyota gets aggressive with the pricing ....
    come on price war!

BTW ... I consider both of these cars to be significant and ahead of their time. All that's missing is one more gas price spike in the $4.00 to $4.50 range and it's quite possible the car buying tide will shift. The general public is nearly conditioned to the idea that high (painfully high?) gas prices are going to be around for a while. Once they're 'completely conditioned' the sales of "affordable hybrids" ($20kish) will rise substantially as buyers bite the "hybrid bullet" in order to relieve pain at the pump .

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011