FE Challenge 15 - Fall 2011

Discussion in 'The Daily Grind' started by FSUspectra, Oct 7, 2011.

1. FSUspectra

FSUspectra Practicing true conservatism!

Presenting the Fall 2011 Challenge, running from October 1 through December 31.

This is the fifteenth episode of our quarterly challenge to beat the EPA mileage ratings. The leaves will the changing, the temperatures will be dropping, but the drivers will be heating it up! ;) The winner is the driver who beats the EPA by the highest percentage.

Drive your daily routes in your normal car. Real-world cars, real-world routes, everyday conditions, etc. This is where the real results prove the value of hypermiling. Remember the CleanMPG motto, "Learn to raise fuel economy and lower emissions in whatever you drive".

Results from previous economy runs:
    I: February - May 2008. Winner: PaleMelanesian
    II: June - August, 2008. Winners: CobraPond (A), lamebums (B)
    III: Sept - Nov 2008. Winners: CobraPond (A), MT bucket (B), jps000 (C)
    IV: Dec 2008 - Feb 2009. Winners: lnmcmahan (A), GaryG (B), jhu (C)
    V: March - May 2009. Winners: lnmcmahan (A), nissynis (B), Damionk (C)
    VI: June - Sept 2009. Winners: cpeter38, froggman, Taliesin, Kacey Green (marathon)
    VII: Oct - Dec 2009. Winners: cpeter38 (A), Swineone (B, Marathon), some_other_dave (C)
    VIII: Winners: GaryG (A), Sulfuric (B), jimepting (C, highest mpg), tpmjr2004 (Marathon), Right Lane Cruiser (Winter)
    IX: Winners: PaleMelanesian (A), jimepting (B), LinuxGold (C), tpmjr2004 (Marathon), Right Lane Cruiser (Highest MPG)
    X: Winners: PaleMelanesian (A), VegasDude (B), some_other_dave (C), tpmjr2004 (Marathon)
    XI:Winners: VegasDude (A), Sulfuric (B), epurvee (C), Mr. Pancake (Marathon, Winter)
    XII: Winners: GaryG (A), FSUspectra (B), Mr. Pancake (Winter)
    XIII: Winners: PaleMelanesian (A), KiloDelta (B), basjoos (Marathon)
    XIV: Winners: PaleMelanesian (A), hyperme (B), 2009PriusChat (C), basjoos (Marathon)

How to Join
    To participate in this Fuel Economy Challenge, all you have to do is the following:
    • Create a new mileage log. This will be an alter-ego of your vehicle, except make sure you use the 2008 EPA ratings for your car found at www.fueleconomy.gov. Please use a new log and leave the previous challenge logs as-is until the results are finalized and a post is made saying logs can be recycled if you choose to do so. Once finalized, the previous vehicles can be deleted.
    • Post here in this thread to announce your participation. Be sure to include a link to your new mileage log.
    • Drive
    • Post in this thread with updates. No need to start with a fresh fill, just include the fills that fall within the challenge months. There is no minimum mileage or number of fill-ups, only a request for no single-tank entries. We want complete daily driving records, not cherry-picked entries.
    • Entries will be accepted for one month, after which the participation list will be final.
    • Report your final fill within 7 days past the end of the challenge.
    The standings here on page 1 will be updated periodically by CleanMPG staff members.

For a level playing field, we will all use the new revised EPA estimates for fuel economy. If you are using a handicap, please list it when you announce your participation.
    • Hybrid Handicap: Reduce your EPA ratings by multiplying by 0.85. Hybrids are already optimized for good mileage by automatically doing many of the things hypermilers do.
    • E10 Handicap: Reduce your EPA ratings by 3%, to match the reduced BTU of 10% ethanol.
    • Part-time E10: If you only sometimes use E10, log 3% less fuel used when you record that fill-up. Make a note in the comments for the tank. Example: "Last fill was E10. Pumped 10 gallons, logged 9.7 gallons". Use this adjustment for the fill that finishes the tank of E10 fuel, not when you put it in.
    • E85 Handicap: If you are using E85 instead of regular gasoline and EPA ratings are not available, you can estimate your E85 rating. Just lower the gasoline numbers by 25% (multiply by 0.75) and round to the nearest MPG. Enter this as your EPA rating.
    Which Division?
    Divisions A, B and C were created to help divide people into three levels, in order to increase competitiveness.
    • If you were in the top 2 or 3 in your division, please consider moving up.
    • If you were near the bottom, consider moving down. Everything is more fun when the competition is close.
    • If you are new to hypermiling or to this challenge then I recommend either the B or C divisions to allow a good chance to get on your feet and familiarize yourself with hypermiling.
    Special class - Marathon: If you drive lots of miles (1500+ a month or so), you belong here. (in addition to Div A, B or C. Sign up for both.)

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  2. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

Thanks, Brandon!

I'm in. Now that I'm driving to the school every morning, my numbers will be lower than they were in the summer.
  3. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Not as much lower as mine are about to get, Andrew!! :p
  4. JonNC

JonNC Driving Smarter Since 06/07/2011

I'm in again in Division C (with E-10 Handicap), for all the good it will do:eek::p.

5. PeterRRC

PeterRRC Well-Known Member

Great, please count me in. Div C of course :)

BTW. any ideas why after delete fuel entries from previous challenge I see -66MPG (-3.5L/100km)?
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  6. Die2self

Die2self Saving more by using less!

7. FXSTi

FXSTi Well-Known Member

I'd like to try Div C and Marathon. E-10 handicap.

I'm off to a good start. I just filled again today after filling on the Fourth of October. My best tank yet 48.8 mpg, an increase of almost 3 mpg over my last tank, which was my previous best.
    Thanks for letting me play,
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  8. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

Peter - that's very... "special" mileage you have. I'm not sure. I'd wait until you actually fill and see what it does. If it's still wrong, ping Right Lane Cruiser. He manages the database and code for this site.
  9. hyperme

hyperme Well-Known Member

I'm in.
    -Div A (not that I felt any pressure)
  10. Mr. Pancake

Mr. Pancake Well-Known Member

Good riddance, I mean, good luck in 'A' :D!
  11. Mr. Pancake

Mr. Pancake Well-Known Member

12. SD3_Driver

SD3_Driver Well-Known Member

I would like to participate, class C for a first timer..:D -hybrid not quite sure on how to log; it should be a daily log, every time we fill or when the tank is empty...:confused::confused:
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  13. FXSTi

FXSTi Well-Known Member

I messed up my initial post and forgot to ask for the E-10 handicap, it is in my fuel log.

14. JonNC

JonNC Driving Smarter Since 06/07/2011

My first tank of this challenge is in, 11.175 gallons over 388.4 miles (trip odo reading) for 34.756 MPG. Not a bad start.
  15. FSUspectra

FSUspectra Practicing true conservatism!

SD3_Driver, you're added (and welcome to the challenge ;)), and you basically log tanks that fall within the challenge period (Oct 1-Dec 31) as you normally would, but to both your normal log and your challenge log.

FXSTi, updated.

JonNC, not too bad a start at all. :)
  16. 2009PriusChat

2009PriusChat Well-Known Member

17. Die2self

Die2self Saving more by using less!

Sorry, I forgot to add E10 Handicap. I had updated the numbers in the numbers for the Fuel economy, but forgot to have you add it to the side.
  18. hyperme

Thanks Pancake, I feel the lovin'.:D
  19. hyperme

Here's my first fill, a pretty good one since most of it was from September. I won't see another one like this until next summer. :(

1170.8 miles (personal record)
    16.55 ga
    70.74 mpg
  20. FXSTi

FXSTi Well-Known Member

I somehow don't think priuschat is going to be competitive in div B with my fuel log.