Hypermiling the Sonata Hybrid

Discussion in 'Hyundai Sonata Hybrid' started by owlmaster08, Oct 3, 2011.

1. owlmaster08

owlmaster08 Well-Known Member

Thought I would start a thread for hypermiling the Sonata Hybrid. Wayne had some discussion in another thread but thought I would start a new one.

xcel likes this.
  2. darrelldb1

darrelldb1 Well-Known Member

Mine seems to get to 20mph from a stop in EV, then switches to ICE. I have found that it is pretty easy to get it up to 40mph in EV if the battery is not too far below 50%.

Simply let it reach 20mph, when it switches to ICE let off the gas and let it go back to EV, then continue accelerating. Of course you need a relatively flat stretch of road for this.

xcel likes this.
  3. milburnr

milburnr Member

Normally around our immediate area, with really bad stoplights, we average about 35mpg just being light on acceleration, and N-coasting down hills. But a few days ago, I managed to maintain about 50mpg by doing something different. I would accel on EV, engine would come on, let off the pedal to trigger EV again, push some more, etc. Basically a pulse and glide, only it was just a few seconds of pulse each time. The HSH seems to allow a pretty fast start on EV mode before it kicks on the ICE, so if you do this each time it goes into EV mode, you can accelerate pretty well that way it seems.

Unfortunately here most of the stoplights are at the bottoms of hills and they tend to be red no matter how hard you try, so there's not much chance to accelerate flat...

xcel likes this.
  4. fishnrib

fishnrib Christian

Copied from jglopic member of Hyundai-forums

"Has anyone played around with the manual mode of the gear shifter in the HSH? I have started to do so a little, and I have reached an interesting discovery.

I do a good bit of my commute at 45 mph, and there are several areas around my house limited to 30 and 35 mph. I have noticed previously that even when cruising at steady speed in all these areas, the hybrid system barely charges. The other day, at 30 mph, I popped the gear shifter into manual, and it was holding 4th gear. I dropped it to 3rd, the econ indicator barely moved, and the battery started charging more rapidly, thereby engaging EV mode much more often than if the transmission were in D.

Today on my way to work, I was cruising at 45 mph. Going into manual mode, the transmission was in 6th gear. I dropped to 5th, and again the battery started charging much faster. When it went into EV mode, the battery also discharged faster than normal. I then let the battery recharge in 5th, then kicked the transmission to 6th when EV mode re-engaged. I found that I could go about as long in EV mode as it took to charge the battery between EV modes. That's right, I was in EV mode almost 50% of the time!

Normally on that stretch of my commute (4-5 miles), I get one decent stretch of EV mode while cruising at 45. I got three today."

I think he is on to a great hypermiling technique.:bananajump:

xcel likes this.
  5. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Tom:

Maybe so with some thought into when you can/want to instill some more charging and not just for charging's sake?

Wayne

6. eharper

eharper Member

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but wouldn't dropping down to fifth at 45 knock your mileage down during the pulse enough to negate the gains of the glide? When I tried this technique on the flat area for 12 miles here I agree that I was in EV more often, but my MPG overall were lower. Has anyone else tested this out anymore?

xcel likes this.
  7. fishnrib

fishnrib Christian

I never got around to trying that in my wife's Hyundai Sonata Hybrid (HSH) but I did try something a little different. Since the car takes off from a stop up to 20-25 mph in EV I take off fairly fast to get max momentum going then let off the pedal to shift gears and gently pulse to 30, then 40, then 50, then 60 mph instead of just holding the pedal down and letting the auto Trans do it. This way you can get in a higher gear earlier without manually shifting. I haven't measured this technique but it's best to get in a higher gear as soon as possible for best MPG's. I have tried DWL but found that I could do just as well with getting into CC ASAP and using it's controls for speed adjustments.

How to get over 35 mpg in the city

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/229-sonata-yf-hybrid/162882-how-get-over-35-mpg-city-driving.html

xcel likes this.
  8. xcel

Hi Tom:

Do not accelerate briskly under EV as current draw is huge. It costs a lot of fuel to make up for it. With the new SW taking out N FAS', a forced ICE-Off with the accelerator pedal and balance with minimal in or outflow current is a necessity.

I hope that helps?

Wayne

9. fishnrib

fishnrib Christian

Thanks Wayne
    Can you actually get the Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) off in N with a light touch of the accelerator?
    This is the display that we need

[​IMG]

I'm in my first month since rotator cuff surgery so it will be a while before I can drive again.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
    xcel likes this.
  10. eharper

eharper Member

Love the look of that picture. Makes me smile each time I see it in the car.

11. xcel

Hi Tom:

You have to let off and move into a slight regen. The ICE shuts down and then you reapply to a glide. Minimum in or out from the pack.

[​IMG]

While this is a slow speed multiple RT loop, you have to force the HSH into a glide at every opportunity.

Wayne

12. eharper

eharper Member

Wayne,

Great explanation. I will have to take the Sonata out tomorrow to get down the technique.

xcel likes this.
  13. johnmcfarlandaz

johnmcfarlandaz New Member

Wondering what plugs you're running in the 2012 Sonata Hybrid? Best MPG I've ever gotten was 50 MPG on 100 mile round trip from San Felipe to Puertecitos in Baja California, MX driving at 50 MPH.

Driving around AZ averages about 34 MPG with low of 28 MPG with tires at full pressure. Any advice?

xcel likes this.
  14. xcel

Hi John:

Are you by chance located in the Phoenix area possibly? I get there about every 6 months and can help you out with a clinic the next time I am in the area?

Wayne

15. johnmcfarlandaz

johnmcfarlandaz New Member

Hi Wayne

A few hours away but might be able to make the drive. Give me a little notice johnmcfarlandaz at yahoo.com.

Thanks

xcel likes this.
  16. xcel

Hi John:

Watch the forum and you will know when I am in the area testing something new. :)

Wayne

17. BroncoGuru

BroncoGuru New Member

Hey guys, I'm a new proud owner of a 2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid. Actually I just bought it 2 days ago and I have never driven a Hybrid. and now i keep telling everyone I should of bought one years ago i don't know what i was thinking. And I started to research Hybrids and i came across this site and started watching youtube videos on hypermiling and i'm so happy i found out about hypermiling. I'm interested in your clinic's Wayne. Was wondering if you were going to be in the Orange County California area. any time soon? I hope you guys keep posting tips for us rookies on the Hyundai Sonata Hybrid's and HyperMiling. Thanks guys!

xcel and BillLin like this.
  18. fishnrib

fishnrib Christian

HI Bronco we have a dedicated Sonata Hybrid site that is very active and has a ton of info on your HSH. Wayne spent about 40 minutes with me on my drive around San Diego and it was a great experience.

Here are many of the tips I got from Wayne

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/sonata-all-hybrid-models-yf-lf/230329-teach-me-drive-mileage.html

xcel and BillLin like this.
  19. BroncoGuru

BroncoGuru New Member

Awesome, thank you so much fishnrib! i'm going to study the tips and watch the video. I've been practicing since tuesday and I'm up to 44.8 MPG on the hyundai and when i first bought it on tuesday it was reading 38.9 mpg at the dealership. So I'm on track to hopefully increase it as much as I can. I also work a part time job driving as a mail courier for a couier company. And all my co-workers are going crazy at how many miles i get on the hybrid and now that I'm practicing hypermiling i will probably convert them all to hypermilers too. lol. I drive my own car to do the part time job so buying a hybrid is pretty much paying for it by its self by saving on gas. And now that I'm hyperMiling I will probably save enough each week to pay the entire car payment by my savings from gas. i use to spend around $100 a week on gas i always budgeted $100 even thou i didn't use that all the time but i always wanted to be ready incase gas prices went up etc. And driving my own car for my part time job in the evenings i always had to use that $100 a week but now i'm calculating i could probably just fill up once every week and a half at maybe $30 to $35 a tank. so I'll save the $70 from my $100 and times 4 weeks in a month thats around $280 a month in savings from gas. So my car payment is $350 so all i have to pay out of pocket is $70 bucks the gas pays for most of my car payment lol!. If i could learn to only fill up once every 2 weeks then i could save even more! Thanks guys keep the tips coming please

20. xcel

Hi BroncoGuru:

You are an inspiration to us all an keep up the great driving! The fuel savings alone are fantastic. Plus you get to drive a great Hyundai Sonata Hybrid too. :)

Wayne