What's the secrets?

Discussion in 'Kia' started by landongolf, Sep 18, 2011.

1. landongolf

landongolf Active Member

So Wayne you averaged 64 MPG in the Kia Optima and I'm averaging 29...... I do a lot better on the Highway, but 65% of my driving is in the city. So can you help me out? Thanks Jack:rolleyes:
    I want to congratulate you on setting the record, that is so amazing, your my hero.

2. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Landongolf:

The KOH is a highway car and just like the HSH, if you take it into the city, the only way to maintain 60+ is to keep her rolling at a high avg. speed. You touch the brakes, EPA is the best you can expect and it can get a lot worse from there depending on your commute.

Where do you live?

Wayne

3. landongolf

landongolf Active Member

Wanye I live in Washington D.C. area...... YOU mentioned in your post before your record setting ride, that you were going to post ways to improve mileage in the city for the KOH, Secrets you were going to reveal...So here I am full ears listening... Thanks so much, Jack:D

4. xcel

Hi Jack:

Since the prototype HSH, Hyundai/Kia has improved upon their city algorithms allowing more gear shifts between ICE starts. To help from a light to light perspective, allow first to third to run from 0 mph and shift to N for at least a 5 second glide. After the glide, shift to D and softly touch the accelerator after the clutch has reengaged, drive up to fourth and let it glide again. This is the way you can punch up your city FE from light to light.

Because you drive the DC metro area, it is absolutely essential that you open up buffers and get that ICE to shut down. The great thing is anytime the KOH is dropped into N after she has reached ~ 128 degrees F coolant temp, she will shut down. Take advantage of this for any period of a slight descent or impeding traffic up ahead. The KOH is not a FFH/TCH in this kind of traffic but with anticipatory focus, you can turn a stop and crawl into a leisurely low speed drive with fuel economy in the 60’s.

When on the beltway, stay in the right hand lane in a RR while between the limits. Any onramp ahead, allow the mergers to take priority as you back off in a glide and allow speed to droop as they pull out in front. You can zipper in without consuming any fuel and even continue the glide afterwards as traffic is usually a little bottled up at the on/off-ramps anyway.

There are more regarding standard metro area techniques but remember the KOH will shut down with a simple flick of the wrist or quick let off of the pedal and reapplication without adding power. The KOH loves the open road but in the inner city battle zone of one of DC’s famous stop and crawls, you are going to have to work for it.

I hope that helps some and I wish we could have met when we touched the area on our way to Baltimore.

Wayne

5. landongolf

landongolf Active Member

Wanye, Thanks so much for the tips, I will gladly try them out. I too wish we could have met in Baltimore, Hopefully another day we can meet......Thanks again, Jack:cool:

6. landongolf

landongolf Active Member

Wayne I mus be dense but things are not working out well for me.....Next question do you keep the car in ECO mode? Can you every put what your saying on youtube? Thanks Jack

7. xcel

Hi Jack:

Yes, ECO mode all the time. If I placed all of my content on YouTube, I would be without an income :(

Wayne

8. SD3_Driver

SD3_Driver Well-Known Member

Hi there and Congrats on your ride, as Wayne said, it is not a city car, but with practice and patience you will get your desired results... been at least 3 months with the FFH and this week ( after reading some post from other members of the forum) I finally got how to be really efficient coasting in N or D and how to get my hwy numbers up, from the low to the mid 40; and I thought I was doing it right until this week.