First 2012 Passat TDI Arrives

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Sep 15, 2011.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] Its here and its ready to roll ;)

[​IMG]Wayne Gerdes - CleanMPG - Sept. 15, 2011

VW delivers the first 2012 Passat TDI to Matt Duchesne of San Jose, CA.

As described in detail during the 2012 VW Passat Preview drive in Chattanooga, TN a few months back, the all-new Passat is designed specifically for the North American market. Duchesne’s 2012 Passat was built at the VW plant in Chattanooga, TN, one of the newest, most advanced, and environmentally responsible auto assembly plants in the world.

In honor of the first 2012 Passat delivery, VW will be sending Mr. Duchesne and a guest to Chattanooga, Tennessee for a VIP tour of the all-new facility that is the birthplace of not only his new car but every all-new Passat sold in America. The plant visit, scheduled for early November, is part of a celebration for the Chattanooga plant, which rolled out its 10,000th all-new Passat last Thursday, September 8th.

After the tour, Mr. Duchesne won’t head home with an empty trunk. Volkswagen is giving him a fully stocked gift bag of VW gear and Shell will also be providing the lucky recipient $500 in Shell Gift Cards to fill up with high quality Shell diesel.

Duchesne ordered the 2012 Passat TDI SEL model. With best-in-class rear seat legroom and the new Fender Premium Audio System, it is easy to see why the 2012 Passat TDI has raised the bar in the midsize sedan segment.

The all-new Passat has further proven VW’s commitment to safety by earning the coveted Insurance Institute for Highway Safety's (IIHS) TOP SAFETY PICK rating for 2011, the highest possible rating from the non-profit safety research organization. The 2012 Passat is the eighth Volkswagen model to receive a 2011 IIHS Top Safety Pick, making Volkswagen one of the recognized safety leaders in the industry.

2. herm

herm Well-Known Member

Ohhh, see if you can borrow it for a couple of days :)

3. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

... is an oversized, overpowered diesel guzzler compared to the smaller European versions.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  4. rfruth

rfruth Well-Known Member

For 28 grand ya get one with a sunroof and average 35 MPG, is this a joke ?

5. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

How about some TOWING CAPACITY? How else am I going to get my cattle to market?

You'd think VW might use the diesel's superior towing capacity (as opposed to gas or hybrid) as a selling point, but [in the U.S.] they at best avoid the subject, and at worst tell you you'll destroy the car and void all warranties. Believe it or not, there's a lot of people who DO need some ability to haul ... move furniture or a few sheets of plywood, tow a jet ski, motorcycle, small camper trailer, etc....

Apparently, it's either F150 or nothing.

/unless you live in europe, then it "magically" becomes ok to tow with a car.
    // seems like the only car manufacturer that has some US ballz in the "towing with a car" department is Subaru.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  6. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

You also get leather steering wheel, shifter and hand brake.

Cheaper than an FFH with better economy on the highway. (Which also comes with forced upsell of leather).
    Cheaper than an HSH or KOH with options since they're in a $5k package).
    I suspect only the 2012 TCH might beat it on price but not sure with options.

Of course, there's a diesel price premium but then there's a diesel performance premium.

So, all in all it's not bad for highway drivers. City drivers should, obviously, look elsewhere.

7. rfruth

rfruth Well-Known Member

The VW is $ 600.00 cheaper than an FFH (unless you get the optional leather) with less average fuel economy. ((the steering wheel & shiftier are leather in the FFH even if the seats are cloth but you would expect that at this price point)) about the only reason to go for the Passat is if your a TDI fan.

8. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

Have you driven the Passat and Fusion back to back? From what I've heard so far, the Passat is quite a nice ride.

9. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

Or if you do more highway driving than city. It's rated 4 mpg better on the highway.

10. rfruth

rfruth Well-Known Member

So for 4 more MPG highway (over 10 less city) I get to buy more expensive and harder to find fuel, no thanks (never been in a Passat before, maybe if I had I'd sing a different tune)

11. wick1ert

wick1ert Well-Known Member

I had a gas version of the Passat before - turbo, premium fuel. It was a very nice ride, but IMO quite a bit over powered.

I've driven a TDI passat before on the highway, and it was a very nice ride. 75 mph through the PA mountains, no shifting, cruise control on. Granted, they've gotten a little bigger and lost some MPG since that one was made.

12. WriConsult

WriConsult Super Moderator

No passat wagon anymore? It's not even mentioned on the VW site. Truly a sad day when VW, one of the last holdouts, starts walking away from wagons.

Without a usable hatch, to me this is just another irrelevant sedan. Doesn't matter whether it gets 3.5mpg, 35mpg or 350mpg.

13. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

Not planned. I guess they'll push people to Routans. But no Routan TDI. :(

14. WriConsult

I guess the smaller, thirstier and (probably) more profitable Tiguan is where they want to steer sales. Just sad to see VW finally following the rest of the automakers down this path.

15. Delegator

Delegator New Member

VW isn't following other automakers, they are producing what consumers want. Wagons haven't sold well in the USA for several years, because it somehow became more desirable to own an SUV instead of a wagon. Personally, the Subaru wagons I've had were some of the best vehicles I've ever owned.

And it's not just wagons -- the trend towards SUVs is the same reason that Ford and GM stopped producing minivans because so many former minivan drivers decided to go for the Ford Expedition size behemoths. Go figure.

16. WriConsult

Welcome to the forums! Yes, I'm painfully aware that this is all because SUVs are what consumers want. I would still characterize the situation as VW following the other automakers down this path.

Wagons are unpopular outside the Pacific Northwest, anyway. Although SUVs are also very popular here, there have always been plenty of people who recognize the value of the wagon -- and used wagons have always sold for huge premiums vs their sedan counterparts, even before this year's run-up in prices. It's always been a great frustration that our vehicle choices are dictated by national, not regional tastes.

I agree with you about Subarus -- I've owned three, and although I have no need for AWD they've been the best vehicles I've owned too (even better than the six Hondas I've had, which were stellar too). Too bad they're gas pigs, and for most of the last decade have been primarily based on the fatally flawed open-deck 2.5L design. The new Impreza promises to rectify both problems.

17. herm

herm Well-Known Member

18. bestmapman

bestmapman Fighting untruth and misinformation

Oh, I think 350 MPG would make a quite a difference.