FXSTi's Grasshopper

Discussion in 'My Ride' started by FXSTi, Sep 3, 2011.

1. FXSTi

FXSTi Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

My car, a 2011 Ford Fiesta. Recently traded in my F-150 Crew Cab which was getting about 15 mpg. Of course I drove it like I stole it most of the time. Dwb was the only technique I used, I hate getting stuck at traffic lights. I drove semi truck for awhile so I am pretty decent at staying aware of my traffic situation.

Anyway, my situation changed and I found myself facing a 120 mile round trip commute to college. Time for the truck to be gone. I ended up choosing the Fiesta mainly because where I live I am a 60 mile drive to any dealer but Ford Chevrolet and Dodge. I doubt I will ever own another Chrysler product and Chevrolet doesn't have any models that interest me.

On to the Grasshopper, it is about as loaded as they come. I believe it was a showroom model for a downstate dealer. I bought it new but it had 474 miles on it, mostly test drives I suspect.The only thing it lacks is the 6 spd auto trans, I wanted the manual. I know the auto is supposed to get an extra mpg but I've read of people having problems with the auto. I also think in the real world the manual will outperform the auto.

My first tank I pulled 34.34 mpg. This was done while learning what the car could do, driving it like I stole it plus about an hour of idle time updating the Ford Sync. The second tank was a trip my wife took and she refilled with just 144 miles on the odometer. I just finished my first tank trying to conserve and managed to gain another 2 mpg over what my wife did on the freeway for her trip.

This is the first time I have managed to leave the avg mpg meter set for the whole tank. The meter showed 44.2 mpg and actual was 42.244 mpg, it's just a little optimistic.

I received my Ultra gauge in the mail two days ago and yesterday I found out that it is really optimistic, but is helping my mileage. I filled up and after a 55 mile drive it was showing 52 mpg. The meter in the car was showing 46.2 mpg and my avg speed was up.

As time goes on I will try to update this as I find out new things about this car and report how I'm doing.

Kirk

2. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Nice car, Kirk!!! You'll be very glad later that you chose the manual transmission version -- there is a lot more you can do with the manual for FE than with the automatic. :D

I recommend going longer between refills when trying to calibrate a gauge. There are plenty of fill variations at the pump and for small volumes it can add up to a very large percentage of the total entered. Run full tanks as much as you can and you'll get much more accurate readings on what you actually used each time. Also, adjust only half way to the value shown at the pump; this will allow you to avoid oscillations around the actual value (caused by those same fill variations).

In the mean time, keep track of the numbers for your typical drive routes (home/work, home/grocery store, etc) and try to increase your average every time you drive a route again. Keep the instantaneous and the trip average up so you can see what affect your actions have immediately and as long as those numbers keep going up you're on the right track!

Good luck and keep us up to date with not only your accomplishments but any new questions you might have. :)

3. herm

herm Well-Known Member

Congratulations, cute as a bug :)

4. FXSTi

FXSTi Well-Known Member

Just found out that a fas in this car with the headlights on will leave you in the dark.The headlights turn off with the ignition. You still have all the marker lights.

5. FSUspectra

FSUspectra Practicing true conservatism!

You have to push the button again without the clutch depressed to bring on all the electronics, including the headlights... you haven't been FASing without the gauges working, right??? That means all of your safety features are disabled and your car isn't recording miles, so it's a wash.

6. FXSTi

FXSTi Well-Known Member

I've had only tried the fas three times previously. All previous attempts had been during daylight. Yes, I hit the start button after the motor stops. It just surprised me, and since there was an oncoming car I suspect he/she wondered what the heck I was doing. I'll need to make sure I'm only doing it when there is nobody coming at me in the dark.

7. FSUspectra

FSUspectra Practicing true conservatism!

Right, we noticed and also frowned that the headlights switch off, then back on... not much else you can do unfortunately.

8. herm

herm Well-Known Member

Perhaps a switch to disable the fuel injectors without shutting off the car.

9. FXSTi

FXSTi Well-Known Member

Herm
    Not gonna happen until the warranty is gone.

Does this car truly go into dfco? When coasting in gear the ifcd on the ultra gauge jumps to around 250 mpg, I thought it would read infinity.

Kirk

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  10. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

Nice car! It's a fun little scooter. :)

Check the Open/closed loop gauge. I believe it's a dedicated gauge at the top on the UG. We didn't test that on our review drive - we only/always used FAS.

Our review gave us about 10% offset required for calibrating the Scangauge. Your 52 vs 46 is a 12% offset, so it's similar. The built-in gauge is useless if you FAS. It doesn't count any FAS miles in the average.

11. FXSTi

FXSTi Well-Known Member

Had class in the morning, class in the afternoon and a medical appointment the other direction at noon. I knew I was going to be putting on the miles.

Topped off the tank this morning because I wanted to try to get a more accurate read out from the UG. I plugged in a correction of 1.20 today and after 230 miles the UG is reading .4 above the factory display. At the rate I'm putting on miles, the next fill might be Thursday. Makes me glad I dumped the F-150 before school started.

PaleMelanesian,

What did you aim for as mpg during your pulses on the test ride and what were the target speeds?

Thanks,
    Kirk

12. PaleMelanesian

Our speeds were constrained by the F150 in front of us going 45 mph. To keep up with that we did Pulse and Glide at 40-55 or 40-60 mph. With the gears running the rpm so high a slightly lower average speed would give better numbers. About 80 LOD or maybe 20-25 mpg for the pulse.

13. FXSTi

FXSTi Well-Known Member

Most of my commute is on a rural highway, psl is 55, one stop sign each way and three stop lights on the far end. I'm not sure I'm ready to P&G yet, just trying to get a handle on DWL. I have noticed that I have the road almost to myself Mondays and Wednesdays on the way home, which has me thinking.

I just entered the numbers from this AM's short fuel up. Only 104 miles, 2.41 gal and 43.15 mpg.:woot: If I can stay over 35 mpg through the winter I will be a happy camper.

14. PaleMelanesian

In that case, use the LOD / MPG I gave you for the initial acceleration. It's a pulse, but the matching glide is delayed until much later. ;) Then get a good glide at the other end when you come to the stop sign. Ideally you won't use any brakes, or only brake from 5 mph down to a stop.

Good work on the over EPA fill!

15. FXSTi

FXSTi Well-Known Member

PaleMelanesian,
    I should clarify, that first stop sign is 19 miles from home. Actually I miss counted, I forgot the stop sign half a mile from home and the ones at each end of my freeway sections :eek:

When the UG shows an open loop during dfco it reads mileage in the high fifties to low sixties.

Just did a fill up on a complete tank. Ended up with 45.44 mpg and a half kilo tank (501 miles). Not doing p&g yet, only doing fas at stop lights, when I get caught. My average speed for the tank was 49 mph. I'm starting to catch on to dwl. I'm going up hills at 40+ mpg and have a NICE-on coast that I can ride out for a little over a mile down one hill.

I'm starting to really dislike the factory ave mpg gauge. Last tank it read over two mpg high and this time it read a half mpg low. Oh well, I think the UG should be pretty close on this tank.

Kirk

16. FXSTi

FXSTi Well-Known Member

Yesterday, after a 164 mile trip, I had the fcd reading 49 mpg. Thought for sure I was on my way to a record tank. This morning my wife tells me she is taking my car because she has to go downstate. Her trip should be around 220 miles. She can get 40 mpg with this car, but so much for a new record for me.

I'm glad she is interested in saving gas, but it sure is frustrating to be working toward a personal best and have it messed up.

17. msirach

msirach Well-Known Member

Grow up! Just say NO. :D It's tough, but at least she isn't driving something that she would only get 15 or 20 mpg. Your time will come. Good luck!

18. FXSTi

FXSTi Well-Known Member

I have neglected to update this thread, but I have big news (at least for me). I just drove home from school, P&G for all but a couple short sections of state hwy. Managed a trip mpg of 63.6 for 55 miles. This was done with the outside temp at 42F.

Winter seems to be slightly delayed, but I'm glad for this reprieve. I can't wait to see what summer will bring.

Kirk

19. PaleMelanesian

Great job! :D :woot:

For the record, that's 0.2 mpg BETTER than we did on the cross-country drive.

20. FXSTi

FXSTi Well-Known Member

One of my goal is to run a whole tank matching or beating your cross country trip. It should be very do-able, since I don't run around heavily loaded.

Kirk