Kia Motors and CleanMPG unite for a Guinness record attempt

Discussion in 'In the News' started by msirach, Aug 26, 2011.

1. msirach

msirach Well-Known Member

[​IMG] Hypermiling a Kia Optima Hybrid

[FIMG=LEFT]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/Wayne_Kia_Optima_Guiness.jpg[/FIMG]Mike Sirach - CleanMPG - August 26, 2011

The hypermiling duo of Wayne Gerdes with his colleague and friend Chris Bernius will be completing an epic 8,000 mile fuel economy driving challenge in a factory-standard Kia Optima Hybrid.

The record attempt departed this morning from Kia Motors’ manufacturing plant in West Point, Georgia. The pair will be travelling through the 48 conterminous states in a clockwise direction, before finishing in South Carolina 16 days later on September 10.

Kia fans wishing to track the drivers’ progress will be able to receive live updates via Kia’s Twitter feed (@Kia_Motors) and a specially-developed Facebook page on Kia’s Worldwide page. Photos, video footage and a written blog will be uploaded to the page on a daily basis from August 26. The Facebook page will also enable visitors to explore the drivers’ route in detail, find out further information on the Kia Optima Hybrid, and will also offer some of the best practice tips for motorists to achieve better fuel economy in their own vehicles.

Senior Executive Vice President & COO of Kia Motors Corporation, Thomas Oh, said,
    The Optima Hybrid is Kia’s first hybrid vehicle in the U.S. market and went on sale in East- and West-coast regions in June 2011 You can read the 2011 Kia Optima Hybrid detailed specs here and CleanMPG Reviews the 2011 Kia Optima Hybrid here.

With an over 40% mpg improvement versus the standard Optima and priced from $26,500, it makes an attractive addition to the Kia line. A European version which mates the electric motor to a smaller, 2.0-liter gasoline engine is expected to go on sale in some markets in 2012.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  2. ksstathead

ksstathead Moderator

Be safe, gentlemen!

3. msirach

Please retweet this if anyone is on Twitter from @CleanMPG or @msirach.

4. SentraSE-R

SentraSE-R Pishtaco

I'd love to be an invisible fly on the ceiling of the Optima hybrid on this trip ;).

5. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

Already did. Godspeed, gentlemen.

6. bestmapman

bestmapman Fighting untruth and misinformation

Good luck. Can't wait to see the numbers.

Let me know if you all need anything.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  7. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

Good luck guys :)

8. FSUspectra

FSUspectra Practicing true conservatism!

Tweeted as well! :) And will continue for the duration. May they be guided by tail-winds and clear skies! :D

9. wick1ert

wick1ert Well-Known Member

I think they should head along the east coast this weekend. THAT would be a real challenge for their MPG :D

10. msirach

I just logged out of FB to check. They have made the Kia drive page open to the public so everyone can view it. Lots of info, updates, and photos have been uploaded in the last few hours. Look at: Kia Optima Drive Click the links below the miles counter to see everything.

11. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

During a stop in Biloxi MS, visiting the golden arches (of course ;)), we met up with Bob Bressler (CleanMPG member rbbayernde) to get a photo of his Hyundai Sonata hybrid alongside the challenge Kia Optima hybrid. So here is Bob with the two highway-mile-gobblers.

[​IMG]

Having a quick lunch with one of our CleanMPG members as I type :)

Wayne

12. herm

herm Well-Known Member

Its a modern "One Lap of America".. stock up on Pepsi and looking forward to the reports!

13. rhwinger

rhwinger Well-Known Member

good luck Wayne and Chris!

That was a pretty nice picture in front of the main building!

Hope the hurricane doesn't get in your way.

Bob W

14. joesgot4

joesgot4 Well-Known Member

good luck dudes! i cant wait to see these outlandish numbers by two of the best in the business! lots of pics guys!

15. Kacey Green

Kacey Green Well-Known Member

This'll be fun to watch.

What part of SC are you finishing in?

16. msirach

You can see the detailed map at the link I posted for the drive's FaceBook page.

17. xcel

Hi all,

Chris typing here on Wayne's laptop while en route at an undisclosed location exactly 40 miles south of Jackson on I-55 N. :D

Here is an excellent video that introduces the men and machinery involved in this Kia Optima Hybrid Fuel Economy Challenge.

[flash]http://www.youtube.com/v/Hfd9iaMUJXU&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3[/flash]

Enjoy the show!
    -Chris and Wayne

18. xcel

Hi all,

Now that you have seen the introduction video, let's take a look at Episode II - The Optima Strikes Back, starring Wayne in an Oscar winning performance at the Florida border.

With Chris behind the wheel and a few miles through some light-to-light slogging on approach to Florida, the Kia Optima hybrid still fought back against the odds with an impressive 72+mpg.

[flash]http://www.youtube.com/v/sCycl0bYm-I&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3[/flash]

Enjoy the show, and don't spill the popcorn on your keyboard.
    -Chris and Wayne

19. xcel

Hi all,

Wait until you the second video of Day 1. Following an observation that video uploads should be brief due to G3 upload speeds, Wayne proceeded to wax poetic for several minutes, including subtopics involving geography and real estate, and then Chris wraps things up at the very end with his own non-verbal review of the performance. It's better than the usual 'thumbs up' or 'thumbs down' convention.

-Chris and Wayne

20. xcel

Hi all,

And now some thoughts on "Challenge Night and the Pips"...

As I write this, we are just past 511.5 miles on Trip A, and at that mileage on 8/26 around 10:50pm EDT, we lost the first of 12 pips on the fuel gage. This is a better performance than the 2011 Hyundai Sonata hybrid, where the car covered 311.5 miles before losing the first pip, as noted in this post.

By the hair of our chinny chin chins, we're holding onto 70mpg, with the aFCD varying between 70.0 and 70.2 over the last fifty miles, and the terrain is making us work for every mile.

- Wayne and Chris