2012 Hyundai Accent – Ever Hear The One About "Build A Better Mousetrap?"

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Aug 9, 2011.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG]In its first full month of sales, it outsells Nissan, Honda, Ford, Chevrolet and Toyota’s subcompact offerings.

[fimg=left]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/2012_Hyundai_Accent_Sedan.jpg[/fimg]Wayne Gerdes - CleanMPG - Aug. 9, 2011

The sharp looking 2012 Hyundai Accent – $13,205 to start and rated at 30/40 mpgUS city/highway.

When introduced to the show going press at the 2011 New York International Auto Show this past April, Chris and I thought wow that is a nice looking subcompact. Little did we realize the average Joe and Jane Q. Public would realize the same thing!

Hyundai brought its renowned “Fluidic Sculpture” to the Accent design table and in doing so, literally chased the rest of its competitors out of NY’s Javits Center! In addition, the Accent provides its owners with a classy interior that it is quite literally a generation ahead of the rest given the intended target market. Adding to it, an all-new powerful and efficient 1.6L GDI power plant offering 138 HP and 123 lb-ft of torque is on tap plus a best-in-class standard 30/40 mpgUS city/highway fuel economy rating.

And behind door #3 was the price. While the interior/exterior look a lot closer to entry luxury then entry level, Hyundai saddled the little cutie with an unheard of $13,205 to start price!

Is there a door #4? You bet Bob! Adding to it, a “Best-in-Class” Warranty and Hyundai’s new “Price Assurance” plan provide far more than just a better mousetrap, it proves itself as a world class, sub-compact beating juggernaut!

And apparently the public agrees for some reason. Or at least somebody does anyway ;)

July 2011 – Multi-manufacturer Subcompact Sales Results

Column1Column2Column3Column4
    YearMakeModelJuly Sales
    2012HyundaiAccent6,938
    2011NissanVersa5,359
    2011FordFiesta5,296
    2011HondaFit4,857
    2011ChevroletAveo3,349
    2011ToyotaYaris1,391
    2011Mazda21,072
    2011KiaRio1,011
    2011ToyotaScion xD715

2012 Hyundai Accent – Sedan and Hatch

[​IMG]
    Which would you drive?​

While we have requested a 2012 Hyundai Accent GLS w/ a stick be inserted into the Chicago Press Fleet so we can have our go at this highly popular, fuel efficient and value oriented subcompact, given its popularity, it may be a while as Hyundai is selling each and every one of the little beauty’s coming off the boat :(

2. wokwithm

wokwithm Well-Known Member

Re: 2012 Hyundai Accent – Ever Hear The One About "Build A Better Mousetrap?"

Saw one parked the other day. Looks much nicer than in pictures.

3. Ophbalance

Ophbalance Administrator Staff Member

I'd go with the hatch. I think I mentioned this elsewhere, but I bet it's actually the same size as my old 99 Elantra, which was a great size for just two adults + three kids.

4. joesgot4

joesgot4 Well-Known Member

I Love My Hatch!

5. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

So the Accent got the GDI engine before the Elantra?

Matthew, the last generation was on par with or perhaps just slightly larger in terms of interior volume than my '95 Elantra (judging from the driver's seat at any rate).

6. herm

herm Well-Known Member

The sedan looks pretty swoopy, but the hatch is more practical.. do they both get the same hwy mpg?

7. xcel

Hi Herm:

They sure do! Hyundai does indeed "Save the Asterisks" ;)

I will have to ask Dan the next time I see him if he came up with that idea (he's with Nissan now) or maybe Lori Sholtz or Jim Trainor? Darn cool phrase if you ask me and it makes so much sense by comparison to the rest of the industry.

HF this, XFE that, ECO over there SFE behind the curtain... No, 40 mpg highway is for everybody :)

Wayne

8. killer6795

killer6795 MazdaMiser

Re: 2012 Hyundai Accent – Ever Hear The One About "Build A Better Mousetrap?"

Hatch me!

The hatch with a 6 speed manual will definitely be on my "potential next car" list.

9. FSUspectra

FSUspectra Practicing true conservatism!

Gotta be the hatch for me! :D

10. xcel

Hi All:

I just finished up driving the all-new Accent Hatch with a 6-speed stick back to back with the sedan mated to the 6-speed AT. Oh boy is the hatch nice for the $'s is about all I can say. I also drove the Rio hatch with an AT as well. The AT's while nice do not have the same FE capability of the sticks as we all know. That said, most drivers are going to choose the AT’s anyway. I like the 6-speed AT's action on the Accent/Rio contingent better than the Elantra Limited if that is any consolation.

Unfortunately, the Accent hatch with the stick was heading to MN and we will not see it for a few more weeks. The hatch comes with a tilt AND Teloscopic wheel IIRC vs. the sedan with tilt only. I remember the Rio Hatch having telescopic as well.

2012 Hyundai Accent – Sedan and Hatch Faceoff

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    AT vs. MT -- One driven right after the other on the same light and sign ridden loop.​

Final ride and drive in the 2012 Hyundai Accent 5-door hatch with the 6-speed MT.

[​IMG]
    Hyundai Accent with the 6-speed MT – 84.9 mpgUS.​

Not bad at all.

Wayne