Trek Turns Two

Discussion in 'General' started by EdwinTheMagnificent, Aug 8, 2011.

1. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Saturday my Trek mountain bike turned two years old. The bike puter odometer reads 8737 km (5429 miles) Hooray for Edwin ! Okay, I'm done patting myself on the back.
  2. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Ed:

Holy smokes, that is almost more miles than some drive in their cars in a year. Some two... And you did it all without using a single drop too! Ok, maybe some chain lube but man that is some heavy duty riding. Congratulations from all of us here at CleanMPG :)

Do you have a twitter handle as I just tweeted your accomplishment.

3. ksstathead

ksstathead Moderator

Congrats! Are you a bike commuter? What is the commute like?
  4. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

Awesome job! The best way to save fuel is to never use it in the first place.
  5. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Well-Known Member

7 MILES PER DAY-40 minutes or so -
    Not bad-save 250 gallons-$1000-and maybe keep your weight down(not that you need it- I need it)
    I bicycle everyday, but mainly for exercise-bike theft is such a big deal around here that you have to haul a huge lock around if you plan to park it.
  6. msirach

msirach Well-Known Member

Wow! Congrats! I really feel like a loser now. I haven't ridden in over 3 weeks between vacation and the sweltering midwest heat wave. I put about 600 miles on my Giant from June through October last year and I thought that was decent.
  7. EdwinTheMagnificent

Thanks all for the congrats.
    Wayne, I'm not on Twitter. I'm sorta retarded at social networking.

Ksstathead , I rode my bike to work once about two years ago , but almost hit a pedestrian on a VERY dark trail in Fermilab. I start work too early. All but 24 of those miles are pure pleasure rides. Quite often I do twenty miles on the trails after work.
  8. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

Congratulations, Edwin! That's a lot of trail riding. Are those trail surfaces paved, gravel, dirt, or what?

Hmm ... My Trek (which isn't my high-mileage bike) has 11 times the miles, but I've had it nearly 13 times as long. Only a small fraction of that was on trails---mostly on paved ones.

Keep it up!
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  9. EdwinTheMagnificent

Thank you, RedylC94. Most of these trails are hard-packed gravel. Some are a little more like hard dirt. I'm not a huge fan of riding on streets, but I do it when I need to get to another trail. How do you measure the mileage on your 1984 Trek ? I'm using a Trek incite computer;it's pretty basic but good enough for now.
  10. RedylC94

With the CatEye Micro bike computer I received as a birthday present in 1989. That was probably one of the first really reliable electronic bike computers. Before that I had a Huret Multito (French belt-driven mechanical odometer of late-70s design) on it. For the past 4½ years, my Windsor has been equipped with a "pretty basic" mid-90s CatEye. Before that, a Multito (used for 111,630 miles), preceded by a series of more primitive mechanical odometers.

You can get GPS gizmos designed for bikes. They can do interesting tricks that basic computers can not, but, according to my friends who have them, tend to be unreliable and high-maintenance. I prefer simple, reliable instrumentation.
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  11. EdwinTheMagnificent

"Before that, a Multito (used for 111,630 miles)......."

I just now noticed that. That's a whole lotta pedalling ! I am impressed.
  12. Bike123

Bike123 Well-Known Member

The Cateye Micro with a button hidden on the bottom side to switch to cadence? Mine lost its brains when the battery finally had to be replaced (after 6 or 7 years!). The replacement has all the buttons on top where they are easy to find, but it just doesn't have as much character as the Micro.

We took the afternoon off and did a nice tandem ride in the foothills.
  13. RedylC94

Yep, that's the one. My original battery lasted only a bit over 5 years; they conservatively claimed "Approx. 2–3 years." After you installed a new battery and before you concluded that yours "lost its brains," did you remember Cateye's instructions to "Press all three buttons simultaneously ... to clear all data" before resetting the wheel circumference, etc.?
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  14. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Edwin:

I thought of this post when I took my Gary Fischer Tarpon into the basement yesterday. I only placed at most 100-miles on it this year which is sort of sad given the amount you biked this year "so far".

15. EdwinTheMagnificent

Hi Wayne :
    That Gary Fisher is a nice bike ! I am still riding my tired "old"Trek , but I am looking at a Giant 29" mountain bike. 4052 km on the Trek so far this year,no chance of matching 2010's 3190 miles.
  16. RedylC94

So far, this year I've added
    8202 miles to my Windsor,
    1542 miles to my Trek, and
    0314 miles to the antique Schwinn.

Some years the bikes total more than the car.
  17. EdwinTheMagnificent

RedylC94, you rule. Great work !
  18. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

Wow...I wish I lived in a place that was more bike friendly. Used to put a decent number of miles on my bikes...had a Diamondback Sorrento I had a fair number of miles on and a Schwinn replica of IIRC its bread-and-butter 1956 was heavy though and not as much fun to ride as it should have been.

I really need to pick up my Dad's Specialized StumpJumper he bequeathed to me. I also would love to build a "rat rod" inspired low-riding beach cruiser kind of bike.
  19. EdwinTheMagnificent

Me too. It's pretty scary around here , so most of my miles are on bike paths. I ride on the street only enough to get to the nearest path. One is a mile from home , the other is 1.8 miles.
    Total miles for 2011 = 2596
    Total miles for 2010 = 3175
  20. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

Yeah where I grew up there were bike lanes galore - it was a snap to use a bicycle to do a lot of things or just for tooling around town for pleasure's sake. Here, there's nearly no bike lanes, very few sidewalks, narrow(ish) lanes, and drivers unaccustomed to bicyclists. No thank you.