2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid Spied in Washington State!

Discussion in 'Toyota Camry Hybrid' started by xcel, Jul 31, 2011.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

I was dressed up as a Big Foot to fit in with the local surroundings while crawling through the Eastern Washington State Mountains and National Forests. After approximately 6-hours of this, I saw this beauty parked next to a golf course. At first I had no idea what kind of car it was but watching Toyota capped employees getting in and out and than driving away silently, it could only be one thing ;)

[​IMG]

While it was overly camouflaged, I could make out the exterior silhouette and side profile. The rest I will have to leave up to your imagination... That is until the early afternoon of Aug. 23, 2011 :D

Wayne

2. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

Looks like it has more style than the previous generation. :p

3. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

Is that the Darth vader version?? :eek:

4. FSUspectra

FSUspectra Practicing true conservatism!

There are spy photos out there of the uncovered version floating around. I'll just say, it looks like a bigger Corolla... and looks just like, wait for it... a Camry. :rolleyes:

5. PaleMelanesian

You can have it in any color you want, as long as you want black.

6. MaxxMPG

MaxxMPG Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

I have seen the spy photos out there on the internet as well, and I can say that it certainly has a lot more style, with new standard opera windows and coach lights (LED on the high-trim models) tastefully integrated into the padded vinyl roof that is available in four decorator colors - Avocado, Dark Topaz, Vermillion, and Tangerine.

The look is decidedly retro, with large round headlights recalling the Corona of 1975. And the hood ornament is a stylish touch, and the leading edges of the ornament are chamfered to minimize drag. The chrome rocker panels and bumper faces on the XLE version are stunning, and definitely make the car visually longer. They work together with the thick vinyl-faced body side mouldings and chrome wheel arch mouldings to give the appearance of forward motion even while standing still.

I will take mine in Electric Strawberry pearlcoat with the optional Butterscotch hood stripe, and the Luxury Appointments package that adds in the wire spoke wheels (dishwasher safe), pillow velour seating, and simulated redwood applique throughout the interior. Plush!

7. PaleMelanesian

This is part of the new pedestrian-safety requirements. Fuzzy padded exterior.
    [​IMG]

8. msirach

msirach Well-Known Member

Toyota has started teasing. They Tweeted this pic about an hour ago of the left front corner of the 2012 Toyota Camry. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  9. ksstathead

ksstathead Moderator

Um, left front corner?

10. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

Wow, your description makes it sound irresistably tasteful! Closer to a Cordoba than a Corona, though ...

11. msirach

OOPS! I corrected. I posted that in a hurry and forgot I was looking at a car and not a GE steam turbine.:D

12. MaxxMPG

MaxxMPG Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

Yes, or the Granada of 1975-1980? The Granada was born of the MTV series "Pimp My Maverick", which ran for half a season in 1974. That's quite an accomplishment in light of the fact that MTV wouldn't exist for seven years after the show aired. Midyear, the program was restructured to include other cars, leading to "Pimp My Nova" and the resulting Cadillac Seville, and "Pimp My Aspen" offering the Chrysler Fifth Avenue. I have to wonder how many Velour Antelopes had to be sacrificed (indeed, "crushed") at the altar of plush pillow seating, not to mention the harvesting of thousands of acres of plastic walnut trees to create the attractive instrument panel appliques*.

*-Applique is the French word for "decorative shelf paper".

13. msirach

Toyota posted another teaser pic of the 2012 Camry. The info embargo will be over in 9 days.

[​IMG]