New 2012 Accent 5 Door Hatch Eltrolyte Green

Discussion in 'Hyundai' started by joesgot4, Jul 22, 2011.

1. joesgot4

joesgot4 Well-Known Member

i got a good offer for my 2006 chevy malibu and got a good price on a 2012 hyundai accent GS 5 door HATCH WITH 6 speed auto tranny! FINALLY AND I LOVE IT ALREADY! I'LL HAVE PICS SOON! they also told me that in 4-5 years they would give me $8000.00 for it!
    p.s. chris i did it! i got out form under my undependable MALIBU!

2. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Joe:

Congrats!!! And we do indeed need to see those pics ;)

Wayne

3. MaxxMPG

MaxxMPG Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

Here's your initial targets, in the form of unadjusted EPA numbers
    (Raw EPA numbers - city, highway, combined)
    2006 Malibu 2.2L 4AT - 26.5 / 40.8 / 31.4622
    2012 Accent 1.6L 6AT - 38.7 / 58.1 / 45.5482

- Turn on that Active Eco and leave it on.
    - Remember no FAS in a Hyundai automatic, except maybe the last few feet (under 10mph) approaching a stop.
    - Although I won't tell you what to do, I will tell you what I do - I adjust tire pressure using a highly scientific formula - "Pi over 2 times placard pressure".
    - Three words of wisdom - coast, coast, coast. Hyundai gas pedals are stiffly sprung and the tip-in makes everyone a stoplight drag racer. The Active Eco will remove some of the tendency to do wheelies when the light goes green, but the oddball throttle map makes coasting your best friend. ...At least until you get a ScanGage or other plug in doo-dad to keep an eye on TPS, engine load, etc.
    - You can shift between N and D with no throttle - just move the lever. The fuel cut is very agressive and the car will downshift to keep the rpm high enough for DFCO until road speed is around 25mph. You can use the ShifTronic to hold onto DFCO down to about 15mph. But to maximize glide distances, just bump to N on level ground. If it is illegal to coast in "neutral" in Mississippi, remember that the shifter doesn't say "neutral", it says "N", which is "nitrogen" on the periodic table of elements. With plenty of air in the tires, you will be amazed at how far the car will glide when the transaxle is in Nitrogen mode and there is little or no wind.

Congrats and start that mileage log here and track your improvements as you learn how to squeeze every last drop out of the new lime. :D

4. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Fantastic news!!! :bananalama:

5. joesgot4

i took a drive down interstate just to see initial numbers on the instant mpg display the car only has 40 miles on the odometer but about a 10 mile stretch on flat interstate using only steady rpm driving and not going over 2000 rpm's which is about 61 mph! the display stayed between 60-70mpg! wow! thats what i said! i wasn't coasting and i haven't pumped the tires up yet!(probably will tomorrow) the car has an" active eco button" which helps keep the car shifting early! i'll do some solid test next week!

6. MaxxMPG

Wait until it has a few thousand miles on it. With each new tank, the mpg goes up and up until it gets broken in.

Many new Hyundai cars are delivered with "plenty of air" in the tires. They ship with the tires pumped up, and dealers don't always set the tire pressures at 32 before delivering the car. So don't be surprised if you find 40-45psi in them already.

Think back to how much work it was to get the Malibu to 50mpg, and now 50mpg is what you'll see when the A/C is running and traffic conditions aren't fully cooperating.

It only gets better. :)

7. FSUspectra

FSUspectra Practicing true conservatism!

Congrats, you'll enjoy it for sure! :) :thumbs_up:

8. 2RR2NV

2RR2NV Ultimate Newbie

but WHERE'S the PICS??????

9. MaxxMPG

Here's the picture of the 5 door Accent GS "H2" edition. Seating for 8, 4.6L Tau V8 with 300+ HP (replaces radio and HVAC in the dash with an engine cowl), and 275-40R17 sticky summer tires. It's the ultimate in B-class performance.

[​IMG]

It's not April 1st yet, is it? :)

10. MaxxMPG

Here are the photos of the new 2012 Accent parked in the driveway of proud CleanMPG member joesgot4.

Right profile
    [​IMG]

Front
    [​IMG]

Rear
    [​IMG]

Front Angle
    [​IMG]

11. 2RR2NV

2RR2NV Ultimate Newbie

thank you.

Looks sweet! love the color.

12. Ophbalance

Ophbalance Administrator Staff Member

Wow... that "H" looks huge.

13. joesgot4

i got 48.8mpg's according to the display! i will fill up when i get off work! about 75% interstate,25% rural roads with no traffic! i drove 60-61mph with cruise control on for the interstate segments.75F with calm winds! the rpm's run about 1950 at 61mph! rides nice,but car does wander a little on interstate! probably will feel normal when i get some time behind the wheel! tires are at 44psi all around! will try maxxmpg's air pressure setup before trip home so i can compare numbers

14. FSUspectra

FSUspectra Practicing true conservatism!

Great start! And a sharp car! Congrats! :):thumbs_up:

15. joesgot4

the car is actually nice and bright and shiny, but the camera i used made the paint look dull!

16. joesgot4

filled up the car so i could get an actual mileage vs. display!
    actual--47.8mpgs-60mph
    fcd--48.7mpgs-60mph
    also just found out the car resets average mpgs when you refill! i would say on a guess that driven by me(not wayne ,lord knows what wayne could do) i can get in the 60mpg range pretty easy! i think i will go up on air pressure cause my car just doesn't coast like the malibu! i'm at 44psi all around! CHRIS, do some computing and come up with a psi number! on the sticker it says 32psi all around!
    sorry to talk so much about my car,but i've been waiting to get something to replace that undependable malibu for so long! also i just love the sat radio too!

17. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

That's a great result! :D Glad you found a good replacement.

18. micman

micman Active Member

I'm "green" with envy ;)

19. MaxxMPG

The fcd will reset any time you add more than 1.6 gallons of gas, so it is a tank average and not a lifetime (for the car) average. Your mileage log here, if maintained from when the car is new, will give you your actual lifetime mpg number.

For tire pressure, there is no specific number to recommend because it depends on the car and the tires it has installed. Considering the mpg you got from the Malibu, you might want to start with the pressure that worked so well for that car.

The Accent won't coast like the Malibu when left in D - you have to shift to N. The 4 speed GM automatics like the one in the Malibu were designed to freewheel when coasting. When shifted to a lower gear, a "coast clutch" applies to lock the engine to the wheels so that the car can drive the engine. That means the Malibu only offers fuel cut when the car is shifted manually to 3 or 2 or 1. The Accent has this freewheel (via a "roller clutch") ability in D during first gear only. The torque converter locks very quickly as well, so the engine is locked to the drive wheels. Shift to N and you break the link between engine and wheels, and you gain gliding distance and lose fuel cut. This doesn't make the Accent better or worse, just different. In my Chevy, I would downshift from D to 3 to get fuel cut when I wanted it, and in my Hyundai, I will shift to N when I want to glide instead of using fuel cut.

Remember that when you want to coast for longer distances in the Accent, bump the lever to N. You can leave it in D when heading down slight hills or when you're approaching your exit and enjoy up to a mile of gas-free travel when the injectors shut down.

20. 2RR2NV

2RR2NV Ultimate Newbie

wait a sec. i've been doing it wrong (or does this only apply Accents)? dabnabit... i've been coasting every chance i get.... exit ramps, up to stop signs, down hills all the time. guess i'll be shifting less, not that i mind.