Kia Optima vs Hyundai Sonata, Help me make up my mind which to buy?

Discussion in 'Kia' started by landongolf, Jul 6, 2011.

1. landongolf

landongolf Active Member

I Need to decide which to buy and 2012 Hyundai Sonata or a 2011 Kia Optima, both fully loaded 2.4 Please Help? :eek:

2. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Landgolf:

The platforms underneath are identical with only the body styles really different. The Optima loses 1.5 cu .ft. of interior space, loses 1 cu. ft of trunk capacity and a small amount of hip and shoulder room but the safety attributes and crash test scores are identical. I suspect the 2012 Optima will have the same tweaks done to improve its highway FE to match that of the 12 Sonata but Kia’s numbers have not yet been published.

On a cost basis, the Optima has a $200 to $300 price advantage but I would bury myself in the details to make sure an Optima LX/EX is an exact match for a Sonata GLS/SE/Limited with the exact or similar drivetrain and option package choices. I have not done that but the specs of both are available online and a quick glance down the list does not reveal anything dramatic missing from the Optima other than possibly BlueTooth on the base Optima LX vs. the Sonata GLS? Check on the manufacturer web site(s) as I am looking at the Media site spec sheets side by side and sometimes they are not the final as they are published before the vehicles are actually released and are not always updated to the final specs.

It really comes down to personal preference on the interior and exterior appearance. I like the Sonata’s front end and grille treatment. Especially the SE and Limited’s. I like the Optima’s belt line and rear sculpting better. I like the Sonata’s more futuristic interior but for a traditionalist, the Optima’s more stoic interior is probably more desirable.

Both are excellent cars with “Best in Class” interior room, FE, crash test ratings and especially when it comes to price. I would be hard pressed to come up with a better than the Mid-sized Optima or full-sized Sonata (it it an EPA classification thing thanks to that Sonata’s extra 2.5 cu. ft.) if I had to pick today. Maybe the 2012 VW Passat TDI w/ a 6-speed MT at $25,995 or the upcoming 2012 Prius v-2 but neither of those will be in the same price bracket as the < $20K 2012 Sonata GLS or 2012 Optima LX with a stick either.

Wayne

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  3. aca2983

aca2983 Well-Known Member

IMO the Optima is way more attractive. Downright hot. I prefer the Saab-esque interior and exterior styling. The Sonata is fine too, to me the styling is trying too hard or something, and the hybrid versions face is worse than the normal version.

4. landongolf

landongolf Active Member

Wanye and Aca thanks for your response, both cars would be top of the line which means they are both fully loaded, I have read on fueleconomy.gov that people are getting better MPG in the Sonata than the Optima, I also worry about resale value, which one is better? I do like the air cooled seats in the Optima and the price tag! Any more thoughts? I surely do welcome them, Thanks:p

5. 2RR2NV

2RR2NV Ultimate Newbie

i love the looks of the Sonota interior and most of the exterior looks too, but that Optima dual exhaust looks the SHIZNIT! yes i know the sonata cann have it too, but there is just something about the whole rear look that the optima does better.

everything else is a wash. guess it would depend on the deal i could get. and then buy that one.

6. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

Take a good FE test drive in both.
    Take a good family test drive in both.

Choose the one that performs better.

I'd ignore the resale. It's too damn variable for makes, models and with fuel prices.

And for god's sake, please ignore the look. You can't see it when you're sitting in it. Buying based on look just feeds into the form-over-function ideas that keep us from having optimal shapes.