Ever wonder how much you're really paying to drive your car every year?

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Mar 29, 2006.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

$7,967 Is how much a person driving a medium sedan 15,000 miles a year can expect to pay …

AAA - March 28, 2006

[​IMG]

In coming up with the estimates below, AAA figures in average fuel, routine maintenance, tires, insurance, license and registration, loan finance charges and depreciation costs. Fuel prices are based on late-2005 national averages.

AAA has been conducting this annual analysis since 1950. That year, driving a car 10,000 miles annually cost 9 cents a mile, and gasoline sold for 27 cents per gallon.

Composite national average cost per-mile for 2006: 52.2 cents

See below chart for a more detailed breakdown by miles driven and vehicle type.

With Your Driving Costs, AAA brings motorists the tools and advice they need to estimate their operating and ownership costs to get a better understanding of the total impact of their vehicles. The annual guide includes a worksheet for figuring your own costs.

For more information on Your Driving Costs, please contact your local AAA Club.

How Much Does It Cost to Drive?

2006 Vehicle: 10,000 Miles/Year // 15,000 Miles/Year // 20,000 Miles/Year

Small Sedan: 50.5 cents // 41.7 cents // 37.6 cents
    Medium Sedan: 62.4 cents // 53.1 cents // 48.8 cents
    Large Sedan: 72.9 cents // 61.9 cents // 56.5 cents
    4WD Sport Utility Vehicle: 79.0 cents // 65.4 cents // 58.9 cents
    Minivan: 71.3 cents // 59.2 cents // 53.5 cents

Fuel costs based on the late-2005 average gas price of $2.405 per gallon.

Small Sedan - Chevrolet Cobalt, Ford Focus, Honda Civic, Nissan Sentra and Toyota Corolla.
    Medium Sedan - Chevrolet Impala, Ford Fusion, Honda Accord, Nissan Altima and Toyota Camry.
    Large Sedan - Buick Lucerne, Chrysler 300, Ford Five Hundred, Nissan Maxima and Toyota Avalon.

Because it incorporates significant changes to driving cost calculations -- most notably the averaging of costs for multiples top-selling vehicles in each size/type category -- this edition of Your Driving Costs is not comparable to previous editions. The changes in methodology are designed to provide more accurate driving costs and better reflect current consumer vehicle purchasing habits.

2. philmcneal

philmcneal Has it been 10 years? Wow

Its just going to be harder and harder for one to own a car these days with everyone wanting a car, and gas prices making it uneasy for the new driver. As well as high insurance premiums, goverment taxes and one will prefer the convincence of public transport.

If it improves that is...

3. krousdb

krousdb Well-Known Member

AAA makes lots of assumptions that admittedly are true for some. But look at the case where you buy an older car in good shape....

Older cars like mine have nearly fully depreciated. The value doesn't change much as you add miles and years. Older cars don't cost much and in my case I was able to pay cash, so no interest charges. Id doesn't make sense to have comprehensive insurance coverage and since there is no loan, you arent required to have it. My insurance costs only $600/year. Older cars are much simpler to work on so do all maint myself at a cost of $50 per year and inspection, licensing is another $100/year. So my fixed costs are $750/year and with my gas discounts thru the grocery store, typically $0.70 per gallon, my variable cost is only 4 cents per mile. At 15000 miles per year 4 cents variable plus 5 cents fixed is 9 cents per mile, or $1350/year. :)

4. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

The Driving/Maintanence Factor

Two significant variables is the amount maintainence and the type of driving. If the car is properly maintained, major repairs can be postponed or avoided. It also maximizes performance and fuel economy.

Hypermiling (as opposed to aggressive driving), will greatly reduce the wear and tear on the vehicle.

I remember when the 55mph speed limit was being lifted, Wall Street was investing in tires since people would replace them faster...