Kia Optima Hybrid vs Hyundai Sonata Hybrid

Discussion in 'Hyundai Sonata Hybrid' started by landongolf, Jun 23, 2011.

1. landongolf

landongolf Active Member

Does anyone have any opinions which hybrid ( Optima vs Sonato ) I should buy? Thanks Jack:)

2. EVuser

EVuser Well-Known Member

Re: Kia Optima Hybrid vs Hyundia Sonata Hybrid

I've had both in the base model non hybrid version for extended rentals and would recommend that you make your decision with a lot of consideration for interior layout differences. Personally I don't like the lighting in the Sonata at night, lowest setting is very bright IMO. Optima lighting actually dims. Many other minor switch location differences but functionally the same.

Both are nice on the highway. Don't have a lot of city time in either.

The drive and mechanics of the non hybrids seem to be nearly identical to each other so that might be true of the Hybrid as well but can't say for sure.

Compare TCO if it matters. One might have a better resale/insurance rate.

Enjoy :flag:

3. WriConsult

WriConsult Super Moderator

Re: Kia Optima Hybrid vs Hyundia Sonata Hybrid

From what I can see of reliability reports, there may be a trend developing of Kias having more problems than their Hyundai counterparts. A little too early to tell for sure, but it looks like it might be happening.

4. landongolf

landongolf Active Member

Thanks for responding to my questions.....Right now I am leaning to the non Hybrid version of either the Optima or the Sonata. I like the looks of the Optima and the interior, but I too am worried about the resale value and reliability? Where do I go to find out this information? Does any one know how the gas mileage compares in real life? Thanks all for your help in this big decision for me! Thanks Jack;)

5. aca2983

aca2983 Well-Known Member

I'd pick the Optima on looks along. Hotness. The Sonata, especially the revised front-end on the hybrid, is odd and not in a good way.