HCHII Update

Discussion in 'Honda Hybrids' started by psyshack, Jun 18, 2011.

1. psyshack

psyshack He who posts articles

The CVT SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

That out of the way,,,, the new programming sucks!!!!

Our body shop and the dealer that worked with the car through the wreck repair both contacted us and wanted to inspect the car. This impressed the hell out of me! Un asked for / post follow up by both.

The car has been great since the wreck over all. The CVT sucks sheep poo through a straw. But no other issues at all other than paint. All paint sucks now days IMHO as a X high end aircraft/auto painter. the EPA needs to face a firing squad. Don't mind the orange peel or,, what it does not stick. Sorry I hate new paint tech. No rattles or squeaks and it was a mpg king in my hands until the local dealer that took care of the hybrid system during the wreck repair called and wanted to inspect the car and take care of any issue's it might have post wreck concerning there work the car. Which was very impressive. They replaced everything but the motor and wiring. Battery pack, controls,, the whole shooting match was replaced without asking and my ins. co. was not billed when the wife wrecked it. Honda flat out wanted the car right. Impressed by there interest I agreed. With one don't do! Do not update it software. Do not update it. Well guess what the idiots updated it. I avoided arrest by a thin hair. Cops were called in before it was over.Per my written request on the service order I avoided arrest. Now the dealer is claiming they can fix it next week. The SOB's!!! My god did the software update screw the car up! Assist at the drop of a hat. Regen like a cheap battery charger and the code loosened up the already useless CVT! FAIL, FAIL, FAIL!!!!!

Looking back,,, the funny thing about this whole mess was prior to the flash and when cleanmpg.com went down I had my best tank ever in the car. I got to drive the car for a week by myself. I wanted to report a 84 mpg tank in the grind. It got flashed and I can't get better than 68 mpg out of it......:mad:

I also want to post up about HCHII and PXX racing. As some of you know my brothers wife bought a PII when Laura and I bought the HCHII. And in my family SCCA means something to us. My brother campaigns a Fiat X1/9 and I always have to show up once or twice a season. That's where the MZ3 shines or even my Ranger as a joke run if you will. Our sister even shows up once a year to run her Avalon. We all learned to drive in Fiats and have a very soft spot for the cones, a hill climb, track day or rally. It's how we grew up. Our father was a driver and taught us how to drive and always owned the cones in the now old days. We lost dad this year,,,, but we will race!!! My brother is a far better driver than I am. Of the three times we ran heads up the HCHII vs. PII. HCHII won two times. The PII got totaled and a new PIII with the 17" wheel package replaced it. And the HCHII owned it both times we ran them. HCHII post wreck. And,,, And by SG the HCHII always won the mpg racing war by the small sample by 4 mpg. :) The only down side was every race day required new rear brake pads for the HCHII. The only way to make the car go was to put it in (S) for slow,, NEVER EVER take your foot out of the gas and work the brake pedal and hand brake like a manic tweaker. And force the degree of under or over steer needed to make it behave like a 21st century car. Then we would run real cars and he would stomp my ass in his Fiat against my MZ3. :( Again Yotas = Buick, Honda = Honda. Old tin can Fiat's = Cheap Italian tin. Cheap over priced Asian FWD cars = over priced cheap FWD Asian cars. :) FWD sucks. LMAO :)

The HCHII has been a hoot since the wreck. But a dog the last week.........

2. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

I can sympathize. I spent 2.5 hours yesterday washing, claying, & waxing the Prius and it almost wasn't worth the effort. At 80,000 miles it looks like I spent the entire time drafting gravel trucks. Pits and chips everywhere. My dad's last car had twice that mileage on it and 3x the years when he sold it, and the paint honestly looked better than mine does now.

3. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Jeff, I'm very sorry to hear that the software update has so severely impacted your mileage. :( Give it some time and perhaps it will get better?

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk 2010 Prius (CAN Touring) Staff Member

68mpg, brand new pack for free, latest software: sounds ok to me.

5. psyshack

Mendel,,, They replaced the pack and all the controls when the car was wrecked. And it had the then current software in it. It now has the newest code in it after the flash. And it sucks!!!!

So I want the software in it that was in it before they flashed it last week during the follow up.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk 2010 Prius (CAN Touring) Staff Member

I think you have to replace the car's computer to get back to original software.

Like a lot of things, when you get a shove the first urge is to shove back. Not necessarily best: I'd give it a try. Doesn't hurt, well except your pride. ;) The latest software aims to preserve the battery better, I believe.

7. rhwinger

rhwinger Well-Known Member

I would regularly see 75+ mpg coming in on the morning commute with the original software and battery and noisy Dunlop OEM's. Personal best was 83.9. But then last winter the battery went out. And the Dunlops are history, replaced with Michellin Energy AS's. So now with the replacement battery (remanufactured not *new*) the SW update, and new sneakers, I'm regularly hitting mid-to high 60's. I have not seen the upper 70's for two warm temp seasons, let alone 80's.

When I first bought the Bond Mobile, I was "hoping" for 50 mpg averages, before I learned about CleanMPG. I'm a little dissapointed in mid 60 numbers now, but if it helps the battery, I'll "suffer" with that.

Thank God I'm not driving a 25 mpg POS FSP anymore!

I know it's not the greatest situation, but we sure are a lot better off than most happy idiots out there on the roads.

Hang in there.

For what it's worth.

Bob

8. psyshack

I came to a so no resolution. :(

They claim there is no way to get the older software back in the car. And this is from the same idiot rep that swore up and down my 06 EX Civic was a 7th gen. So I take that with a very small grain of salt. MPG has taken a very solid hit. MPG is awful now. With A/C on,,, it has been 100+ here for a number of weeks. Gives 41 to 43 mpg. I could get low 50's with the A/C full blast before the trash flash. Also the pack seems worse than before. We have had 10 heavy true to life recals since the trash flash. Before the flash only 3 or so.

The car was given a full recheck went through from one end to the other. They seemed shock that the rear brakes looked new. I xplained it had been auto-x'ed against a gen 3 Prius. It won at the cost of rear pads on a higher speed course using the e-brake for rally turns. They gave it a clean bill of health all said and done.

They offered to do a free oil and filter change. Big whoop! It has a fresh Amsoil 0w-20 change in it with a PureOne filter. Nixed that. So I got 3qt's of Hondas magic CVT fluid and a side stream filter. They had to order the filter. And would not give me a new pan filter and gasket. But did agree to sell it to me for wholesale which I all ready get at that price. Big Whoop! Got 2ea air filters and 2ea. cabin filters.

They are also going to replace the tires on the car and supply a set of aftermarket rear camber kits to me. I will have a buddy install the tires and camber kit and move on from there. Why do I keep getting Civic's that have enough negative camber on the rear to make a Triumph jealous?

This made me happy and they will flash the car to the newest software as it becomes available.

Here I have to give them big prop's. They offered to buy the car back at a good prorated price. Well above book and what we owe on the car. It became very clear that we have bought 3 new Honda's since 2005 and they did no want us in a car we were not happy with. This impressed me very much. It was also very clear that we had had some warrenty issues with the Accord and the 06 Civic EX was a joke. The Accord was not going to make 200k miles thus traded for the HCHII. And the 06 Civic got dumped for the wonderful Mazda3. And sale price would be based on current published online invoice pricing. As much as it pains me I had to tell them Honda does not make a car or truck right now that I would want to own.

So I took the freebies and moved on.

9. Right Lane Cruiser

Jeff!! I'm sorry hear that you are still having issues with the HCH, but glad to see you back here again.

Still driving all over creation in the Mazda fixing prep boy screw ups?

10. Kacey Green

Kacey Green Well-Known Member

The only way I know to get older software into a Honda is to replace the affected ECUs with ones containing the older version, and hope they are compatible with the remaining ECUs or to replace all the computers.

11. psyshack

Sean I've had to slow down a tad. My hernias have gotten the best of me. Going in next wensday to get them repaired. Have belly button one and a old one above it that has came loose. Since the economy has slowed down here finally a tad there has not been as much going on for the college boyz to screw up thank god. :)

The MZ3 is doing fantastic. The current software in the HCHII has it soooooo screwed up now that the MZ3 in some case's gets better mpg than the HCHII.

12. Right Lane Cruiser

I hope you have a quick recovery, Jeff!! Hernias are no fun. :(

It's hard to beat a good MT car when it comes for FE! :thumbs_up: