Subaru?

Discussion in 'Subaru' started by SewbDude, Jun 9, 2011.

1. SewbDude

SewbDude Member

I was curious if anyone else drove Subarus and how good of mpg they get.

2. skduffy

skduffy Well-Known Member

I drive a 2010 Forester 4EAT. I have been averaging 27-28 mpg on the last few tanks. The lifetime average is 23.3. I had quite a few tanks without the scanguage and were averaging 20-23. The EPA on my vehicle is 20/26.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  3. SewbDude

SewbDude Member

It's good to hear that I'm not the only Subaru owner on here. I've found that most people own Hondas. Thanks.

4. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

Well, off the top of my head I can think of semi-regulars to regulars who drive:
    Chevrolet , Dodge, Ford, Honda, Geo, Hyundai, Kia, Lexus, Nissan, smart, Suzuki, Toyota,
    VW.

There's at least one other semi-regular Subaru driver (bomber in San Antonio).

*MaxxMPG traded his Malibu, but I'm sure I've seen Aveo and Cobalt.

5. MaxxMPG

MaxxMPG Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

There are a few Aveos (two come to mind), and at least one Cobalt. And although I traded my Maxx, my wife still has hers, and there is at least one other member with a late model Malibu as well. We've had a member who posted here during the last gas spike who had a late '90s Buick LeSabre. And we have a couple of truck drivers as well, and they employ hypermiling techniques in the 18 wheelers.

You'll find a little of everything here at CleanMPG, and I think the mix of makes/models mirrors the overall sales figures. There'd be more Toyota/Honda here because they sell more cars.

Subaru is a niche manufacturer, and they sell mostly in the snow belt and in the mountains. Drive to the Poconos in PA and you'll see a bunch of them. The Colorado Rockies are another Subie haven. My sister in law has an Impreza Outback "Sport" and it is holding up well in spite of my brother's tendency to apply Tim the Toolman ideas to it.

If you're a hardcore Subaru fan, I can find you a Youtube video of a guy in the northwest who drives a Subaru 360 and the video takes you from his driveway out onto the highway. The Subaru faithful still admire the old 360, the BRAT, and even the SVX which was way ahead of its time.

6. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

Maine 2010 Population: 1,328,361
    Over 50k active Subaru registrations

Quite popular here. ;)

7. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

Also in the Pacific NW - Oregon and Washington. I have family there with an Outback in the driveway.

8. diamondlarry

diamondlarry Super MPG Man/god :D

I almost bought a Subaru as my first vehicle to hypermile...until I came across a good deal on a Saturn. I still sometimes wish I had gotten the Subaru when the snow is up to the bumpers here in northern IN.

9. WriConsult

WriConsult Super Moderator

Lots of Subaru owners in the NW, but not that many Northwesterners on cleanmpg. Therefore not that many Subaru owners on cleanmpg.

I used to be a Subaru owner (3 times), and still think they were some of the best-built cars I've had. But Subaru lost my loyalty by failing to improve mpg for so many years. It also didn't help that the fuel-sucking engine they adopted across the line also happened to be the troublesome open-deck 2.5L.

Prior to hypermiling I drove pretty hard, and got low 20s in all 3 of my Subarus -- 20-22mpg local depending on the season, often only mid-20s on the hwy. My '90 Legacy and '00 Outback got about the same mpg, and my subsequent '96 Outback (rare 2.2MT version) improved on them by about 1mpg. I only hypermiled for my last year of Subaru ownership but was able to improve my average to over 30mpg on a 60/40 mix of local and highway driving.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  10. southerncannuck

southerncannuck Well-Known Member

My wife (good driver, but no hypermiler)averages 27 mpg in town and oddly enough 27 on the highway with a 2008 outback. Great car.

11. abcdpeterson

abcdpeterson Well-Known Member

same for my wife and her 02 outback.

12. Fat Charlie

Fat Charlie Spaulding Rally Master

Mine's been doing pretty well since I learned about hypermiling, and that lovely turbo is still there whenever I want it.