SMCC Economy Run/Road Rally - Montreal

Discussion in 'Events and Gatherings' started by blownb310, Jun 7, 2011.

1. blownb310

blownb310 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

SMCC Montreal will hold an Economy Run again this year, using the same route as last year so that results may be compared and benchmarked. The event will run like a rally with elapsed time checkpoints: you can arrive early, but are penalized for lateness. Final results will be based on fuel economy and time penalties.

Click here for more details.

2010 results:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looking forward to good fun again this year!

2. blownb310

[​IMG]

I plan to bring my fuel sipping '77 Datsun B210 to this event. There are a group of Smart car drivers coming up to run from the Club Smart forums. They are offering members a lifetime membership if a Smart can win overall.

This event is completely bilingual. Come on out and enjoy this challenge.

Mike

3. Harold

Harold Well-Known Member

Damn!!! wish I was closer, as it sounds like fun. Hope you have a great turn out. H

4. blownb310

Thanks Harold. It is a very unique event indeed. There are interesting strategies involved in juggling speed and economy at the same time.

Here is a promo video that organizer Jeff Dungen put together while test driving the route recently. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sF3pO1PWnXs

Mike

5. Harold

Harold Well-Known Member

Thanks Mike:
    Would be a challenge, and a great way to spend a week-end. Any Hybrids enter?'Cheers;
    H

6. blownb310

No hybrids entered as of yet. We would definitely like to have a few to see how they fare against others in this challenging route.

Mike

7. blownb310

Here is an elevation map of the route:

[​IMG]

8. Harold

Harold Well-Known Member

Well hopefully you will get some. H

9. hobbit

hobbit He who posts articles

Are those safe-speed signs flashing by on the curves in MPH
    or KPH, and how fast were you taking them??
    _H*

10. blownb310

Hello Hobbit,

Good to hear from you. It was Jeff who shot the in car video so I don't know.

We just had a local Montrealer sign up with an Echo but he needs a navigator. Anyone here available?

Mike

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  11. blownb310

I had another wonderful weekend in Montreal again this year. Many thanks to organizer Jeff Dungen for his excellent organization of this event, and for putting me [and even my B210] up in his apartment while in town. Jeff parked his rare Toyota Levin on the city street for the night and let my B210 have his safe underground parking spot! Plus, he lined me up with my navigator, the SMCC club president, David Wood. Talk about rolling out the red carpet!

There was a nice field of cars and the competition was close. I did not bother with any aerodynamics this time, short of the plexi grill blocks. No belly pan, no spolier, no moon discs, and all of the mirrors and wipers in place. I even left the wider 70 series tires on for the good handling that was needed for the very challenging course. I knew from last year that this 123 mile twisty mountainous course was not as much about aero as it was about hypermiling driving techniques.

What I didn't know until after the event was that one of the Smarts was diesel powered. I didn't even know a diesel was available in those cars.

Here are the results.
    [​IMG]

Here are the results converted to mpg:

1977 Datsun B210 60.40 mpg
    2005 Smart [diesel] 56.81 mpg
    2010 Smart [gas] 58.94 mpg
    2011 Honda Civic Hybrid 53.45 mpg
    1999 Toyota Tercel 52.38 mpg
    2001 Toyota Echo 51.80
    2011 Hyundai Elantra 43.23 mpg
    1992 Toyota Levin GT-Apex 41.85 mpg
    1985 Toyota MR2 30.37 mpg
    2007 Suzuki SX4 AWD 31.44 mpg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My navigator David Wood. We used 7.7 liters of petrol. David was not only a good navigator, he was also very entertaining as he gave me verbal tour of the area and filled me in on interesting historical facts of the region.

Next year I plan to bring yet another car. I like to try something different each time. My '81 Datsun 210 should be ready by then.

Mike

12. blownb310

Re: 2011 SMCC Economy Run/Road Rally - Montreal

Here are pictures that I took:

[​IMG]
    The man wearing the striped shirt and shorts is Robin Edwardes. He has been rallying for 60+ years. I had the pleasure of dining with him and his navigator for this event Harold Forester [wearing the yellow ball cap]. Robin is a well known rally navigator [he sat next to John Buffum years ago] is a veteran of economy Run events in 1950's and 60's and has won many of them in old English cars like Hillmans. He drove the silver 2011 Hyundai Elantra in this event. What a fun and interesting guy to talk to!

[​IMG]
    William Morin's Tercel did really well, even with two passengers on board.

[​IMG]
    Does anyone know which Smart was the diesel powered one, black or silver?

[​IMG]
    CigaR007's 201 Toyota Echo. It was great to meet you Mauricio.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is the event organizer Jeff Dungen. We owe it all to this guy! Thank you Jeff.

We all dined together at a local bar-b-q restaurant and had a great meal together while socializing. The SMCC is a great bunch and we are fortunate that they sponsor such a unique, challenging, and fun event.

Mike

13. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

According to the labeling on one of the pictures up top the silver one is the diesel powered variant of the smart.

Looks like a fantastic event!

14. blownb310

Ah yes thank you Sean. The results revealed the silver one as being the diesel.

Mike

15. blownb310

Oh yes, and the reason we were 2 minutes late to one check point was because of a long red traffic light! :p

16. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

I hate when that happens!!! :p