72.9 Miles on One Charge

Discussion in 'Chevrolet Volt' started by bill@robbinsmail.com, Jun 4, 2011.

1. As regular readers will recall, last Monday I posted a thread about going 63.9 miles on one charge in my Chevy Volt. For the entire trip I slowly accelerated in D to 40MPH, dropped it into N to coast down to 25MPH, then back to D to slowly climb back to 40MPH etc. My average speed for the trip was 32 MPH.

Today I tried a different method: Set the cruise control to 32 (in Drive) and forget it.

Started out at 5AM, 72 degrees.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You'll note I started with 41 miles of electric range because yesterday I made a 300 mile trip going 65 MPH, so the computer wasn't expecting me to drive slowly. But it quickly recalculated! After a full 16 miles of driving at 32 MPH, the battery icon had removed two green bars, but it now showed 46 miles of electric range!

[​IMG]

Ended 2 hours and 22 minutes later and 72.9 miles later (avg. calculated speed = 30.8 MPH). Ending temp 75.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The two changes since my last hypermiling attempt were the driving style and the temp, which was about 15 degrees warmer today. The rest of the variables were the same: Same road, same average speed. No Mountain Mode, no additional charging. Tires at 51 PSI. No climate control, radio, or headlights. Windows up. Round trip to eliminate elevation impact.

If you study the screenshots carefully, you'll note that I started with 66 miles of gasoline range, and ended with 89 miles of gasoline range, so it appears that the gas range is re-calculated based on driving habits just as the electric range is. Could be dangerous if you are driving 35 MPH for an hour and a half, then start going 75 MPH, your range is going to drop quickly.

Now I'm wondering what it would look like with cruise set to 25 MPH the whole time. And also what 35 MPH and 40 MPH would look like...

Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
  2. groar

groar X-Frenchy: very

Congrats :thumbs_up: for reaching 208.3% of range (72.9mi vs EPA's 35mi)
    Are you the first one to double the official range of a BEV ?

As Sean said, DWL is more effective with an electric as the efficiency of the electric motor is more equal from low to high rev.

Thanks a lot for sharing the experiment.

Keep up the good work and show the world what can be done with a "35mi range BEV".

Have fun,

Denis.

3. diamondlarry

diamondlarry Super MPG Man/god :D

Congrats on the excellent work!

4. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Now that's more like it!! :D

Way to go, Bill!! :woot:

5. RichXKU

RichXKU Well-Known Member

Nice to know the gasoline range is recalculated quickly in unison with electric regardless of mode.

6. TheForce

TheForce He who posts articles

I would like to know what the kWh used was so we can calculate the MPGe. :D We know the Prius is good for about 115 MPG and MPGe. Just wondering what the Volt can do.

What is an average kWh used to recharge from a drained battery?

7. EVuser

EVuser Well-Known Member

This comes as no surprise. :D

8. bomber991

bomber991 Well-Known Member

Damn, lifetime mpg went from 64.7 mpg to 65.4. That's a pretty big jump.

9. FSUspectra

FSUspectra Practicing true conservatism!

Wow, great work! :):thumbs_up:

10. herm

herm Well-Known Member

mpge is one off those useless numbers since electricity at the socket is locally made and low cost, I would like to know the mpg on imported fuel? :)

The Leaf supposedly gets max range at 38mph, the Tesla Roadster at 17mph.. no idea about the Volt but it was probably designed around the LA-4 cycle

11. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Well-Known Member

72.9- wow!
    Even if it took 14KWHrs to refill it- it would be under 200WHs per miles-2 cents per mile at 10 cents per KWHr-
    or even where electricity is expensive-20 cents per KWHr- still just 4 cents per mile.
    A 45 mpg Prius is 8 cents per mile(at $3.60 gallon)-and it is the best we have in the USA.

How much energy would it use at 60 mph-level hy-cruise control set??
    Maybe 350 watt hrs per mile?

12. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

He'd be getting much better than 45mpg in a Prius driving like that. ;)

13. I have a TED device attached to my 240V charger, and I usually see 12.0 kWh go in to a full recharge. But the EPA window sticker says 12.6 kWh, so let's go with that.

72.9 miles / 12.6 kWh = 5.786 miles per kWh.

EPA says 33.7 kWh = 1 gallon of gas.

5.786 miles in one kWh X 33.7 = 195 MPGe.

Actually seems a little high.

14. TheForce

TheForce He who posts articles

Thats about 172Wh per mile. Thats pretty damn good for the weight of that car. Judging by the weight of the car and the ~172Wh per mile you got I doubt the car can do much better than that.

15. diamondlarry

diamondlarry Super MPG Man/god :D

Agreed Jay. It looks like terrain and temps may be the biggest factors for someone who is purposefully driving for maximum efficiency.

16. hobbit

hobbit He who posts articles

If you have a chance, pls compare your D-then-N strategy with
    simply holding your foot in the null region between push and regen
    if it isn't too much of a pain. I'd be interested in knowing
    if there are any losses by keeping the inverter actively following
    things even if the net flow is supposed to be 0 [and assuming
    that neutral shuts off motor-drive either way, like in a Prius,
    but I could be way off base about that].
    _H*

17. marzprius

marzprius Member

Awesome results exploring the real world limits of the Volt! If we use the real world 74mpg warm weather avg. of me driving my Gen II Prius, it's 4.9 cents per mi. @ $3.60/ gal. So not a bad comparison to the cost / mi. to drive an EV.

It angered me that Toyota seemed to drag their feet when it came to EV/PHEV production.

Over the years as I learned to max my driving efficiency, I realized that Toyota was right to hold off until EV/PHEV reliability & cost could be comparable to the already very efficient Prius. Even at the 50mpg that most people get @ $3.60/ gal. that's only 7.2 cents/ mi.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2011
  18. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Bill:

Congrats on the spectacular run and if I was allowed to setup a Volt event drive, you will be receiving a call. The next time I am in the Madison area, let us compare notes and I bet you will bust into the high 70's all-electric range in your own Volt!

Marzprius, there is something about driving a VOLT in CD mode that the Prius simply cannot match. As most here know, I really like to drive Prius’ but the Volt is something special. Whether it is the Volt’s excellent road feel, knowledge that you are not consuming any foreign oil supplies (for all intents and purposes, no locally supplied oil either) or the fact it is a really sharp looker, a Prius is not a competitor to the Volt for 60 to 80% of an individual’s driving routine. There is a certain draw to the Volt called “soul” that the Prius simply does not supply.

Fortunately we are talking about two excellent, low fuel consumption automobiles and owning either proves you made a really smart choice for yourself and the rest of us.

Wayne

19. lolder

lolder Well-Known Member

You should remember that the design parameters for a PHEV and an HEV are quite different in respect to traction motor power, ICE size, max EV speed and of course HVB and charger size. The HEV is all about thermodynamic efficiency of the ICE, the PHEV is not. I hear the Toyota engineers were against the Prius PHEV and marketing over-ruled them.
    On a slightly different note, what happens if you put 87 octane in a Volt?

20. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Lolder:

From what I know today, the Prius PHEV and HEV use the same everything other than the charger and larger bi/tri-segmented pack.

Regarding the Volt, it is definitely in a league of its own.

Wayne