IE9 "New Posts" problem

Discussion in 'Website news & discussions' started by abcdpeterson, May 31, 2011.

1. abcdpeterson

abcdpeterson Well-Known Member

Anyone else switch to IE9 and having issue when clicking "New Posts"?

I have updated 2 of my PC's to IE9 and on both I now need to clear "Temporary Internet files" before the "New Posts" link will return any results.

2. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

I have heard this complaint from 2 others now. Try switching on compatibility mode and let me know if it makes any difference (I don't have an installation anywhere that I can try this on).

3. Mr. Pancake

Mr. Pancake Well-Known Member

Yep, I'm having the same problem at home, I'm using IE9 as well.

4. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

5. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Colin:

“Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.”

I reverted back to 8.0 when trying out 9.0 the other day. I had a YouTube Vid take my system down which is probably an Nvidia driver issue more than likely. Until 9.0x is 100%, I will wait.

Wayne

6. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

If it's a simple caching problem for the New/Today's Posts links then no-cache headers on the search results should prevent the problem:

<META HTTP-EQUIV="Pragma" CONTENT="no-cache">
    <META HTTP-EQUIV="Expires" CONTENT="-1">

Basically, the New and Today's Posts URLs are fixed, even though they generate new URLs on each click the browser isn't to know that. One of the changes from IE8 to IE9 may have may have been that link URLs are cached under the original URL as well as/instead of under the redirected URL.

7. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

8. abcdpeterson

Ok.. Well at lease you know where the problem is.

9. Right Lane Cruiser

I've attempted to implement Colin's no-cache headers solution for the Blue Slate style (the default). Please test and let me know if this is effective.

10. abcdpeterson

:thumbs_up:
    looks to be working!

11. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

12. Right Lane Cruiser

Thanks for the pointers! I looked into the HTTP header but that seems to be a blanket setting (at least in terms of the flexibility available from the standard vBulletin interface). I may still implement that way if I can find a decent mechanism that doesn't require too much custom hacking (keeping track of all the modifications has become quite a chore...)

13. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

Wayne,

This sounds a lot like my recent Google Chrome problems - it does not get along with Shockwave Flash meaning it often crashes at sites like YouTube. I got a dramatic improvement doing two things:

1. Closed dozens of tabs :eek:
    2. Found an update for my driver (like you did)

14. abcdpeterson

drat it's happening again :(