63.9 Miles On One Charge

Discussion in 'Chevrolet Volt' started by bill@robbinsmail.com, May 30, 2011.

1. GM says the Volt goes 35 to 50 electric miles per charge. I laugh at those numbers! My new personal best this morning: 63.9 miles.

Started out at 5AM this morning. 62 degrees, full charge. Did not start the car while still plugged in to let it warm up.

Pretty much no cars at this hour on Memorial Day morning on the lonely stretch of road I was driving.

For the entire trip I slowly accelerated in D to 40MPH, dropped it into N to coast down to 25MPH, then back to D to slowly climb back to 40MPH etc.

No Mountain Mode, no additional charging. Tires at 51 PSI. No climate control, radio, or headlights. Windows up.

Ended at 59 degrees, 63.9 all-electric miles later.

[​IMG]

Tried to make it a round trip and end up where I started in order to remove elevation from the equation, but I was a bit optimistic, so I turned around at what was more than half way and the battery ran out before I returned to my starting point. I did check my elevation with a GPS app, and the difference was negligible.

My ending time happened to be exactly 7:00, so the trip was exactly 2 hours, making my average speed 32 MPH.

Starting ODO was 6385.3, ending was 6449.5, the delta was 64.2 miles, made up of 63.9 electric miles and .3 gas miles as I pulled over to take the pictures.

You will note I did the trip with only 88 miles of gas in the tank to eliminate the weight of extra gas. Also removed everything from the car for the same reason.

I'm thinking I could do better with warmer temps. I'd also like to test if I do better or worse by simply setting the cruise control to 35 MPH in D.

2. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Bill:

You placed a smile on my face with your post this morning :)

Congrats and I can tell you will find a little bit more in very short order!

Wayne

3. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Were you attempting to P&G in electric mode? If so, I agree with Wayne -- you can get better because P&G is not effective in electric mode. Certainly take advantage of terrain for glides in N (and coasting to stops) but DWL will do better than P&G in EV mode.

Nice job regardless! :thumbs_up:

4. abcdpeterson

abcdpeterson Well-Known Member

Thanks for Post. First real world post on the Volt.
    great that your trying to find ways to push it farther!

5. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Well-Known Member

Very nice-How many KWHr did 63.9 miles take?
    Thanks
    Charlie

6. msirach

msirach Well-Known Member

Great job Bill! Did you find a noticeable difference in your EV range and ICE mpg after a couple of thousand miles of break-in period?

7. herm

herm Well-Known Member

Bill imagine what you could do if you had an electric!.. just kidding, of course the Volt is a BEV.. they can crush the remaining EV-1s if they keep making Volts.

8. Finally responding to your responses:

Wayne you are correct, I'l will post my new high in a moment.

Right Lane Cruiser: You are also correct, see my new post in a moment.

Phoebeisis: Good question on the kWh. Unfortunately the Volt reports exactly how many of gallons you have burned since the last charge, but NOT the number of kWh! I've asked many of the GM execs to fix this, I hear it will be in a future software version. I did measure how many kWh I put in to re fill it, and it was 12.4. But the number I actually used is something less than that.

Msirach: No, I have not noticed any change in EV range and ICE MPG after break in. The biggest impact has been warmer temps.

9. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Well-Known Member

Bill@robbins- thanks for the info.
    12.4KWHr 63.9 miles-
    WOW- over 5 miles per KWHR-
    Less than 2 cents/mile at 10 cents per!!
    190 watt hrs per mile is very very good.
    I think the EPA numbers are something like 350 watt hrs/ mile
    I'm impressed!
    If an average Joe would use just 333 it would still be a very cheap 3.3 cents per mile.
    On gasoline at 50 mpg it is 8 cents per mile,and an average vehicle(20mpg) would be 20 cents per mile.
    The Volt is just the first of its series,so we can expect less costly ones in the near future.
    Thanks
    Charlie
    Charlie