So who got one and what do you think?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Sonata Hybrid' started by carrmann, May 14, 2011.

1. carrmann

carrmann Well-Known Member

Picked ours up a week ago today. A premium package in Venetian Red Pearl. So far I love the car. I've still got to get used to how to drive it, and how the battery/electric motor work in it etc. I think that Hyundai has come a LONG way in building this car though and Im really impressed personally.

Please post a pic as well if you would like!

[​IMG]

2. md5mike

md5mike New Member

Look's great! I'm waiting to receive mine just put a deposit down this week. Please post up any findings you make or have already noticed, I'll be sure to post some pics and do the same when mine arrives =)

edit: i see you got the limited! None of the dealers have one in my area and i wasn't able to tell from online pictures, are there any covers for or on the pano sunroof? or is it always "open" ? Thanks.

3. FSUspectra

FSUspectra Practicing true conservatism!

Nice ride, carrmann. Did the lovely lady in the driver's seat come with it? ;)

md5mike, welcome to CleanMPG! If you would, introduce your self in the intro forum, and maybe update your profile with your location (can be vague if you wish) and new ride-to-be? You'll get the best advice with whatever info you're willing to share. Also, be sure to check out the CleanMPG Primer in my signature below! :)

4. carrmann

thanks FSU. I see ur in my neck of the woods. lol no she twisted my arm to buy it haha.

the sunroof (front/rear) have screens that cover them when u tell it to. or they open for view, or the front opens to be fully open, or just tilts up like a vent.

does the non-prem have the fancy screen in the center that shows the hybrid stuff? if not I'll post what mine has. I took pictures of each 'hybrid' screen.

5. psyshack

psyshack He who posts articles

I'm waiting on the KIA.

6. md5mike

md5mike New Member

@FSU yea i was waiting till i recieve the car to do an intro and throw some pics up, thanks for the heads up.

@Carr no the non prem/limited model doesnt have the center console display, just the one in the center of the gauge cluster. thnx for the info about the sunroof screens!

7. Ophbalance

Ophbalance Administrator Staff Member

To replace the Honda?

8. carrmann

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Thought I would add a few pictures including the 4 hybrid screens!

9. 2RR2NV

2RR2NV Ultimate Newbie

DAMNNNN that looks hot!!!! OH, and she looks good too from what we can tell. LOL i'll have to wait til my next job to get one. hopefully, they'll have all bugs figured out by then.

CONGRATS on the purchase.

10. md5mike

md5mike New Member

Nice pics.

11. carrmann

yea she does lol. my wife does too!. Im sure I can get her to pose with her car :) lol.

So far no bugs other than lil quirks with the direction of energy travel on the fancy hybrid screens lol. nothing i really care about. Power delivery from a stop if you 'need' it is a lil on the slow side. It doesnt like getting stomped on from a stop, but I only did that to see what would happen. Definitely not a barn burner lmao. Its not bad tho considering its size and its only got a 4 banger!

12. herm

herm Well-Known Member

"Definitely not a barn burner"

For anyone who knows, who does it compare to the regular version?

13. carrmann

well I havent seen official numbers yet, but what I read on the website says the hybrid has more hp than the n/a 4cyl one, which is rated at apprx 198hp. the hybrid is rated at 206hp.

14. MaxxMPG

MaxxMPG Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

It has a few more hp, but remember that it's torque that moves the car. Horsepower is just "torque over time". The hybrid has a slightly higher hp number, but it also weighs more.

In my six mile drive in the HSH last November, I got the impression that acceleration is about the same as the 2.4L Sonata. That is a seat-of-the-pants judgement as I was riding along in the back seat while another journalist was beating the hell out of the car. Singing along with Jan and Dean's "The Little Old Lady From Pasadena" about this guy: "He's the terror of West Olympic Boulevard." My test drive followed his, and I was going for max-EV mode during my time behind the wheel, so I can't speak about throttle response when I am the one pushing the pedal.

I would take a Sonata hybrid over a barn-burner any day, considering how much more cash burns when filling the tank on a barn-burner!

15. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

A barnfull of cash, maybe?

16. carrmann

lol. my comment was in NO WAY a negative statement about the car... just a comment. I wasnt really sure how the car was going to react. its also the first hybrid i've driven.

yip, torque gets it moving and keeps it moving. theres a reason big 8000lb diesel trucks get good fuel mileage considering their size compared to the gas alternatives.

If I want a barn burner I wont be buying it, I'll build it myself!!!

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  17. carrmann

can anyone explain the process of both the P&G and the warm up P&G. is it better to rapidly speed up to designated speed and then proceed with the glide, or slowly accelerate? same with the warmup P&G?

the sonata pretty much elminates the FAS. It will start the motor if the battery is low enough, and you cant force it off :-/. the car has a pretty long delay between starting and the car actually moving (about 5 seconds).

18. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Warm up P&G is gentle and a slow work up to target speed. You don't want to accelerate hard with a cold drivetrain -- you could do some damage that way. If your target speed is 40mph, you might gently accelerate to 15, glide to 10, gently accelerate to 20, glide to 15, gently accelerate to 25, etc until you reach 40mph.

When everything is warmed up you'll want to do the standard 75-80% load pulse to speed before gliding, and repeat.

Many hybrids are not set up to allow full warmup P&G because the engine can't be forced off (at least not safely). It is most useful in a MT conventional or hybrid vehicle.

Last edited: May 22, 2011
  19. carrmann

so I hooked up my ultragauge yesterday to the car. it was not reading anywhere near what the car was saying I was getting for mpg. the car showed roughly 44mpg at the end of the trip, the ultragauge showed 26mpg. I calibrated the distance already... not sure why it is so crazy wrong. Also the avg mph is way off, everytime I glide in EV mode the avg mph goes up (showed me having an avg speed of about 70mph, which I never even went that fast)>

Guess I will stick with using the u/G in the truck, since it works fine in that. unless someone has a suggestion for me lol

20. FSUspectra

FSUspectra Practicing true conservatism!

The Scangauge would definitely be a better fit for the HSH imo... once x-gauges are discovered, other parameters the likely aren't picked up by the UG will make a world of difference.