Welcome to CleanMPG

Discussion in 'Start Your Journey Here' started by tbaleno, Feb 19, 2006.

1. tbaleno

tbaleno Well-Known Member

Please take a moment to introduce yourself and what you would like from our forums.

As an introduction I will tell you a little about myself. I'm middle aged, I have owned an 03' civic hybrid since Dec of 02'. I guess that makes me an early adopter. I have modified my car with a few electronics (car audio stuff mostly.) I am politicaly moderate so you will see me taking both sides on occassion.

My goal for this site being one of the two original developers is to promote high mileage in what ever vehicle people choose or are forced to drive. Environmental issues are secondary to me but not to Xcel (who is the other owner of the site) who keeps me balanced and makes me pull my head out of the sand some times.

I hope you find this site useful and I hope to try to keep it balanced between the Environment and driving for high mileage.

Last edited: May 11, 2006
  2. tigerhonaker

tigerhonaker Platinum Contributor

Hi tom;

The FE 03 HCH I person. It will be very interesting to see how you do this summer compared to the winter months in Chicago.

Terry

3. tbaleno

I am expecting about mid to upper 50s.

4. tigerhonaker

Tom;
    I think you are right and will do just that.:D
    Your the Man.

Terry

5. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

___I will introduce myself here as well … Besides being a hybrid and non-hybrid hypermiling enthusiast, I enjoy automobile discussions of a technical nature WRT (with regards to ;)) just about any year, make, or model. A good friend at work owns a brand new and chipped Ford F250 PowerStroke w/ the 6.0 L diesel and an 04 Jetta TDI. Another friend owns an 05 Ford Escape HEV. Yet another owns an 05 Prius II. And of course my good friend Tom with his HCH-I. I am a member of many non-hybrid automobile sites given the non-hybrid Accord, Ranger, Corolla, and MDX in my stable. That last automobile can cause controversy on the purely hybrid sites of course :eek: Hopefully with the help of some of our current and future experienced hypermilers helping out (Dan, you qualify for that title by a huge margin!), CleanMPG’s presence can help teach others some of the hybrid and non-hybrid specific hypermiling techniques needed to improve their own FE.

___I am also one to go head to head with regards to Automobile discussions and need a moderating influence like Tom to pull back on my reigns every once in a while. If you find a thread I am participating in getting a bit heated, don’t worry, Tom is PM’ing me and telling me to take an hour or two off to collect my wits and let the thread cool off before that next reply. If you want to speak with Tom or I one on one about the site, the sites content, need help with a particular technique, or understanding of a discussion(s), we hang around in Chat far more then we really should and will offer whatever advice we can …

___Finally, I post a ton of acronyms. I know it can be hard for the new member to keep up but we have some plans to help and once the basics are down, I can only hope to change the way the world thinks about FE and Emissions no matter what or where they drive.

___Good Luck

___Wayne​

6. Texashchman

Texashchman Well-Known Member

I just found this site and I se alot of members that are on or have been one another site. Nice to see everyone. I own a 04 HCH with a avg. of 54.4 mpg with over 51,000 miles. I also own a 01 Chevy Tahoe that my wife drives 10 miles roound trip to wok and we use it to go to Flyball tournament. Would be hard to get 2 dogs wife and equipment in the HCH. kevin

7. tbaleno

Yeah. Lots of people from greenhybrid, insight central, prius chat etc. Glad you found our little refuge where we talk about driving efficiently.

8. philmcneal

philmcneal Has it been 10 years? Wow

I own a 7th geneneration civic coupe with a manual transmission and without the non vtec engine (which is a good thing because the vtec gearing is more agressive (extra 500 rpms per gear) than my car). I was always driving for mileage, every now and then I always get 35 (6.5) ish tanks on my city to city driving. But then over at greenhybrid I saw some pictures, pictures I thought were not real until I examined them with great depths....

These pics were an accord getting 50 mpg segments on his drive, and it wasn't some petty number like 30 miles or 50, it was at least over 200! I'm like what the heck man, if he has an accord and an automatic tranmission, then I should be getting at least 60 or something! It doesn't make sense, how is that possible? Did he had some voodoo curse?

So to find out the answer I searched the high and lows over greenhybrid and couldn't find any real answers to how that person achieved such high figures. With almost giving up I asked the public for an answer, and unfortnately they gave me none. Then a hand of someone having a similar car specs like mine but his mileage figures at least double mine, reached out to me and said, "hey you look like your ready for the real mcoy. You don't have to find the answers there ;) let me show you the way!"

And then I was here. and now that 35 mpg tank is gone, im climbing towards 50 baby!!!!!! Then 60 when I finally decide to jump out of my stock car. YES STOCK, all that's changed was from 40 psi to 60 psi (my tire can support 51) and then driving in a manner where I would piss off so many people from time to time, but at the same time I've never seen my Trip A odometer counted so high before the gas light comes on (850 km/528 miles in city driving). Oh one more thing, I still feel the time to get to my destination has not changed at all. Amazing isn't it? The secrets of the red light is finally revealed!

Last edited: May 10, 2006
  9. tigerhonaker

Welcome to CleanMPG and you are correct that alot of these folks have been on other Forums and some of us still on occasion Post on those other Forums now.

Hope you enjoy our Forum and look forward to seeing and reading your Post here.

BTW, I own a HCH II and Love it. :D

10. Texashchman

Texashchman Well-Known Member

Dang do I need to proof read,sorry.kevin

11. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

Welcome to CleanMPG!

12. tigerhonaker

Nope, you don't need to do anything. ;) You should fit right in with the rest of us and our skills. I can't (Type and Xcel can't spell) and Tbaleno well that's another story. :p

13. lyeinyoureye

lyeinyoureye Diesel Owner

Hi everyone,
    I just got out of college with a degree in math and enjoy tinkering with anything and everything. I'm particularly interested in these old vw diesels because they seem to get great mileage in the city (~45mpg) and not much better highway (~50mpg). This is almost soley because of their horrendous .44 coefficient of drag, which from my point of view, is desirable because if I can drop the drag coefficient into Honda Insight/Toyota Prius range ~.25-.28, while using low rolling resistence tires, I may start seeing ~75mpg city and ~90mpg highway based on comparing (using the static road load force equation) a 2000lb vehicle with RR=.015 and Cd=.44. to one the same sze with RR=.0092 and Cd=.25 at average speeds of 20mph city and 48mph highway (old epa testing figures).
    Naturally, if I could pull these numbers off I'd be jumping for joy. But I can still add synthetic oils for a 2-6%? gain in drivetrain efficiency, and possibly turbocharge the engine to increase volumetric efficiency, and hopefully, engine efficiency by 10-25%. Ideally, I'd like to see over 100mpg, but I'll be happy with ~75mpg. ;)

14. tbaleno

That sounds great. While you are working on your mods, spend some time surfing the site and reading up on all the techniques you can use to increase FE. A combination of techniques and hardware can do wonders. Take a look at krousdb, he is an example of someone who does a great job at blending the two pieces of Fuel Economy.

15. krousdb

krousdb Defiant NX-74205

Nice to see a diesel rabbit owner here! Your car has great potential, but sometimes theoretical calcs don't yield the real world results that you would expect. Since aero drag is a function of velocity squared, IMO you won't see much benefit to aero mods below 40MPH so a change in your city FE won't be noticeable. Low RR tires and synthetic oils? Yes I have done that too. I can't tell for sure, but my guess is that synthetics might be good for 1/2 MPG. LRR tires do help, in my case about 3 MPG.

Please keep us up to date on your progress toward 100 MPG. Also remember that quantifying the effectiveness of a modification can be very difficult unless you have perfected your driving technique. This is because when you see an increase after doing a modification, you cant be sure if it was due to the mod, due to better driving, or some of both. The placibo effect comes into play.

16. lyeinyoureye

lyeinyoureye Diesel Owner

Sounds good! In terms of driving habits I think I should stop shifting early and let it rev up a bit (unless I can find a nice residential street to idle in 4th down ;)). If you compare this chart of volumetric efficiency of the 1.5l volkswagen idi diesel engine (I have a 1.6l, but the only difference is the 1.6l is bored out more)
    [​IMG]
    To this speed/rpm graph for my transmission where the x-axis is rpmx1000 and the y-axis is speedx10. (The info's from a vw gear calculator site)
    [​IMG]
    You'll notice that in order to reach and stay in the peak volumetric (and also torque) band, I need to shift into 2nd at ~18mph, 3rd art ~35mph, and 4th at ~60mph. Unlike my usual 10mph,23mph,35mph. I'm sure I could see gains by somehow cutting off fuel when coasting, but that's a bit hard given the mechanical constraints of the engine. :)

Edit- I think the corresponding increase (the increase in city versus highway) comes from my use of roughly half of my possible current RR along with half of my current Cd. In reality I think my tires have a lower RR than .015, so dropping to tires with .0092 RR won't result in as much of an increase (then again, wikipedia gives .030 for a car on asphalt?). Another problem is I don't have an place to go consistently, so testing is wasting gas to an extent.

Last edited: May 24, 2006
  17. krousdb

krousdb Defiant NX-74205

I find that shifting low and early yields the best results for my 1.5L gasoline engine.

18. whitevette

whitevette Member

Hi, all!
    This is my 1st entry on this forum...I came from <MPGresearch.com....which just got "hacked" badly! So, I'm just freelance-surfing! It looks as tho' MPG is a hot issue, lately (read "efficiency"?). -whitevette:Banane37: :Banane12: :Banane12:

19. whitevette

whitevette Member

This is my 1st attempt at a response(I'm new, here. All forum sites are different)...so I'm wondering if I'm doing right?
    The "placebo effect" is tough to deal with! Everybody has a "value received" ego...which makes any change worth it! Right?
    About aero mods / less than 40 MPH...right on! P=1/2 rho v squared ! Who ever saw a car with a pitot tube? (I had made one!) .City driving destroys MPG, too! Even the mighty diesel! Synthetic oils are REAL good for sinking your wallet, too!

20. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

Welcome to CleanMPG!

We are sorry you are having a rough time a MPGreasearch.com - it happens too often. :(

Hope you will enjoy being here!