2012 Civic

Discussion in 'Honda Hybrids' started by Mendel Leisk, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk 2010 Prius (CAN Touring) Staff Member

Had a sit in one at our local dealership: not the hybrid, but still able to see the ergonomics and so on. Kind of underwhelming, very similar to the previous generation.

There's control disks buttons, at 3 and 9 oclock on the steering wheel, similar to Prius. Headroom was kind of tight for me (6'~) with the sunroof. My wife tried the back seat and found legroom a little tight. The door sills are still exposed painted surfaces, which tend to catch scuffs.

So anyway, must be boat unloading somewhere, the long awaited next gen civics are coming. ;)

2. Harold

Harold Well-Known Member

Pretty hard to improve on the last gen., Mendel. Those sills sure grab your soar spot don't they?<grin> Did they say when they are expecting the Hybrids? H

3. Mendel Leisk

Yeah, should have asked, hopefully soon, if just to see what it brings.

We were just in getting brake pads for our old '06, the new owners of our 06 are a little harder on them methinks. :rolleyes:

BTW, down the street at our Toyota dealer, their 0W20 is $5.65 a liter. We were having a walk-to-parts-department morning.

4. msantos

msantos Eco Accelerometrist

Hi Harold & Mendel;

According to the last feeds they should be here during the last week of April.
    While I am expecting a bit more confirmation, I also expect to have my 2012 HCH towards the end of the month or so... unless of course, I got bumped off the list. ;)

Cheers;

MSantos

5. Harold

Harold Well-Known Member

Hi , msantos:

Thanks for the info. Will look forward to your opinions of the HCH3.:)
    Cheers:
    H

6. angrylittlebird

angrylittlebird New Member

Hi Msantos,

Am also eagerly awaiting your opinion of the Honda Civic!

7. Mendel Leisk

Some statistics from this morning's (Friday, April 22, 2011) Vancouver Province article on the 2012 Honda Civic:

I'd assume the 1.8's are the main engine, and the 2.4-litre is in the Si. And of course, the 1.5-litre is in the Hybrid.

Of interest:

No price as yet for the Hybrid, and it's fuel economy indicates "estimate".

For comparison, Transport Canada's ratings for:

2009 Civic Hybrid: 4.7/4.3 L/100km (city/highway)
    2010 Prius: 3.7/4.0 L/100km (city/highway)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  8. SentraSE-R

SentraSE-R Pishtaco

??? It doesn't seem reasonable to expect the 1.8L MT conventional Civic to get 5 l/100 km highway fuel economy for the average driver. That's about 47 mpg when converted to US measures, and would beat all EPA estimates for current model cars equipped with conventional gas engines. Canada must have an extremely unrealistic highway cycle.

9. Mendel Leisk

Yeah, it's not to often we get 3.7 liter/100km around town in our Prius either :rolleyes:. (Though I'm sure MSantos and his like routinely do, without breathing hard). I only use those numbers relative to each other only. In other words:

The new Civic Hybrid has modestly improved mileage (with the caveat "estimate", I guess Transport Canada hasn't got there hands on one yet) vs the previous generation, and hasn't caught the Prius yet.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  10. Mendel Leisk

A quote from the same article:

fwiw

11. Kacey Green

Kacey Green Well-Known Member

According to my manager My unit is getting built in June :(

I sold my HCHII yesterday, I'll be without my own car for quite some time it seems.

12. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

I hope you have another means of transportation, Kacey! :eek:

Any updates for your order, Manuel?

13. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

About as unrealistic as the old EPA test, I reckon. ;)

14. Dream'R

Dream'R Well-Known Member

You're actually correct if I recall corectly. Transport Canada is still using the "old" EPA method which was judged to be unrealistic.

The thing that really amuses me is how Canadian cars are advertized based on their highway MPG using the former Imperial gallon method even though Canada adopted the metric system over 30 years ago!!

Our gas is sold in litres and odometers are in kilometres and have been that way since the late 1970's.

One feature I like about my HCH is how I can toggle between the metric and USmpg displays. To get the Imperial result you need only to add 20% to the US mpg figure.

Cheers,

Roger

15. msantos

msantos Eco Accelerometrist

Hi Sean;

My "order" has been effectively pushed into a limbo of sorts.

As it stands, nobody is able to tell me much since supplies are soooo strained and authoritative info is just hard to come by. Quite frankly, everyone at Honda Canada is at the very end of the food chain and not quite sure whether the initial expectations for delivery are going to me met or not.
    They are no longer making promises and this is seriously interfering with my plans as my HCH-II is not going to remain spoken for indefinitely. If I sell my 2006 HCH, I will most likely buy another 3G Prius as now with the current market demands/pricing is the absolute best time to sell. :rolleyes:

Cheers;

MSantos

16. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

I'm sorry to hear that, Manuel. :( Hopefully you don't end up having to buy another Prius instead of the car you really want!

17. Mendel Leisk

This is one my grumbles too. Very convenient for dealerships. :rolleyes:

18. mikefxu

mikefxu Member

I test drove both an 11 then a 12 LX sedan automatic this past Saturday back to back. We have two 2006 LX sedans at work so the 11 felt no different. I am 6'4" 320 and currently drive a 2004 Accord LX I4 sedan manual. The two main differences to me between the 11 and 12 are the seating and ride quality. The 12 seats have less bolster support (flater) and seems roomier than the 11. Most vehicles I put the seat as upright as possible and have the seat push all the way back. Doing this in the 12 almost felt like I needed to move the seat up a notch or two. I had no problem with headroom since it was an LX, I am as upright as possible until the top of the windshield blocks my view. The ride quality is definitely softer and sedated. I took both on the highway and the 12 seemed slightly quieter. I drove the 12 in ECON mode the entire time, the shift points are pretty low in this mode and acceleration almost painful coming from a manual trans. When merging on the highway you have to floor it to override the ECON throttle mapping. Overall I think the 12 is a natural more grownup progression. I think the Civic demographic is overall older than in the past and is being reflected in the mild update. We currently have my fiancees Element up for sale and will buy a 12 Civic for her once it sells. I am also contemplating one for myself.

19. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

Hmmm... that econ mode thing might make a difference. If the EPA test is based on normal mode, it could have a couple more mpg out of the box, just by pushing a button. Nice!

20. mikefxu

mikefxu Member

My understanding is that any special "modes" are not allowed for MPG testing. I reset the MPG trip meter while on cruise at 70MPH and it stayed right at or just under 39MPG. After getting off interstate had 5 miles of city traffic 35-55MPH and a few stops and it was still over 38MPG when I returned it.