Suggestions to Mileage Logs

Discussion in 'Website news & discussions' started by Dan, Mar 21, 2007.

1. Dan

Dan KiloTanked in post 153451

Thanks for everything first off.

Few suggestions for Mileage Logs.
    - A way to link to a drivers vBGarage entry on a car from his mileage logs.
    - A way to link to a drivers mileage log from his vBGarage.
    - A link to a drivers mileage log and vBGarage from his public profile.
    - A link to a drivers mileage log and vBGarage from the dropdown menu that happens when you click on their name header at the top of a post.
    - Increase the character limit for "driving stratagy" on tank entries... just found out mine are trunkating.

Few suggestions for the site:
    - FAQ (did I miss it?)- The FAQ on the bar above the flags seems more vBulliten based and less CleanMPG based. Some rules and regs about the site, history and mission, as well as a [post=8387]read this first[/post], and [post=21156]how to get hypermiler status[/post].
    - A paypal button to donate to cleanmpg, call it "bribe your moderator".

2. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Dan:

___All I can add is that Tom eats comments like yours up and I have no doubt he is already contriving ways to make half of what you asked happen! If you could see him in person after a list of suggestions like yours was passed on, it would compare to me giving a quick table top clinic in full hypermiler mode after being asked how to improve somebody else’s FE! A certain type of passion arises I guess :)

___Good Luck

___Wayne

3. tbaleno

tbaleno Well-Known Member

Except I often forget what I'm supposed to do next so things get dropped ;)

I have in the past thought about how to better integrate the vbgarage with the mileage logs. Someday that will probably happen.

Also, linking your cars/mileage logs in the drop down is something I have thought of as well.

Keep suggesting and reminding me. We want to keep making this site better and suggests of what people want is more important than what Wayne and I want.

4. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

What about removing or somehow separating the active entries from the inactive? Maybe after a year of no activity or something, they could be put into a separate category. I'm not sure what that would look like, but it's just an idea. Or maybe if it's less than 5000 miles and also inactive for some time... or something. That would keep Little Red Beauty on the list. ;)

How about encouraging users to make their signature image into a link to the garage? Mine is, and it's not too hard to do. Or you could add that to the dropdown list when you click the user's name.

5. tbaleno

Seperating retired vehicles from the rest is a good idea. I think it would be very cumbersome to do though. I'll put that in the back of my mind as I work on the database.

6. Dan

Dan KiloTanked in post 153451

Brilliant! Done. Click my sig pic and you get to my Garage, click the link in my garage and you get to my mileage log... I like it.

Good suggestion, thanks.

7. PaleMelanesian

Oh! That's great! I had mine linked to the mileage log. Changed to the Garage, which links to the log. As you said, Brilliant!

8. efusco

efusco He who posts articles

Would it be possible to add an option where instead of listing the number of miles on a tank (ie. 500 miles) we could enter the total ODO miles as an option an then have the system calculate the tank miles by subtracting the prior ODO entry?

The reason I ask is b/c I'm too lazy to look at the prior ODO entry and subtract it from the current tank ODO reading...and about every 3rd tank or so I end up a mile off by entering the tank distance from the MFD.

IOW, when I enter the mfd miles every once in a while I notice that my total miles is off and I have to go in and edit a tank to correct the error and by entering my ODO reading that issue would go away.

9. tbaleno

Humm. What about just having the odometer reading somewhere on the tank entry page?

10. brucepick

brucepick Well-Known Member

How about showing the car's % gain over EPA Combined on the Mileage Log page?
    We owners of vehicles that are EPA rated at under 30-40 mpg often take great pride in whatever we can achieve above EPA.

I'd actually prefer to see the Mileage Log default-sorted by "% gain over EPA" but I'd be glad to see it as a column on the screen.

11. tbaleno

I'll put it on my list.

12. efusco

efusco He who posts articles

To do item number 9958!!! I'll look for it next summer!
    Thanks for considering it, This is clearly a fine/tuning tweak much more so than a problem.

13. tbaleno

Pretty much.

14. cuchulain

cuchulain He who posts articles

Dear Tom

Any chance of correcting %electricity used to Wh rather than W/h.

Thanks Andrew

15. tbaleno

That was an easy one. Should be fixed.

16. cuchulain

cuchulain He who posts articles

Thanks Tom

Its fixed. Great service.

Andrew

17. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Tom, I was just noticing that when I try to sort my mileage logs by any of the columns available it tells me "This Profile has no Tanks" and no other data...

Is this something that hasn't been implemented yet? I'm not desperate for it (of course!!) but it would be nice to have...

18. tbaleno

Try it now.

19. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

VERY nice. Thank you!:)

20. PaleMelanesian

Just a bump-reminder. I really like this idea.