Mileage challenge - Class A gas RV

Discussion in 'Start Your Journey Here' started by wdterry, Apr 6, 2011.

1. wdterry

wdterry Ottawa Member

Hello. I'm a new member from Ottawa, Canada. I am looking to maximize my mileage on a 35' gas powered (Ford V10) Class A RV - a challenge at the best of times. I look forward to other's experiences (if any) and tips and tricks.

2. msirach

msirach Well-Known Member

Welcome to CleanMPG!
    What kind of mileage are you getting now? I'm guessing in the 6-7 mpg range.

Go to the link in my signature to read Beating the EPA on how to maximize the mileage in whatever you drive.

I have driven a U-Haul box truck and ridden and monitored the mpg in a 25 passenger Ford E450 bus using a Scangauge.

I prepped the bus by putting the sidewall psi in the tires of 85 psi.
    With the V10, if the driver was using steady throttle and staying 55-60 mph, it would get 12-13 mpg. Driving 65 mph in dropped to 8-9 mpg. On the 450 mile drive each way, the tanks averaged about 9mpg. If I were driving and watching the Scangauge, I believe I could have gotten the tank average to 12-13mpg. It was loaded with the max of 25 passengers.

Just a small increase will make a big difference. If you can gain only 1 or 2 mpg, it will make a big difference in your $$$$.

3. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

I have to agree with you, in a vehicle that large speed is the biggest factor in getting better fuel mileage. Even though this article or white paper from Cummin's Diesel pertains to larger trucks it may help your understand how to increase fuel mileage in a large RV

Cummin's engines Secrets of Better Fuel Economy

4. msirach

msirach Well-Known Member

I also meant to add that the big market for the Scangauge II is the RV market. I would highly recommend getting one. As a member here, you can get it for a discount price of $134.95 on the lower right side of the home page.

5. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

Also realize that a 0.1 mpg increase in that vehicle saves more fuel than a 10 mpg increase in mine.

The Scangauge should pay for itself in gas savings in no time at all.