2011 Kia Optima – Another 5-Star Crash Tester

Discussion in 'Kia' started by xcel, Mar 3, 2011.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] Kia’s Sonata twin does good :)

[fflash=left]http://www.youtube.com/v/lX1wsFO1n44?version=3[/fflash]Wayne Gerdes - CleanMPG - Mar. 3, 2011

2011 Kia Optima during its NHTSA 35-mph frontal crash test. Bang! And you walk away with nothing more than a headache…

The 2011 Kia Optima achieved a first for the marque five-star rating on the US DOT’s NHTSA’s 2011 Crash Tests, the most stringent crash testing regimen in existence. Not only did it earn an overall 5-star rating but scored in each individual test including the 35-mph fontal, side impact and rollover calculation 5-stars! The Optima was already a "Top Safety Pick" given by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) late last year.

Since the Hyundai Sonata is built here in the US and the Kia Optima in Korea, the Optima is the first Korean-built vehicle to be awarded a five-star crash safety rating under NHTSA's new, stricter 2011 crash test ratings. Maybe an asterisk needs to be added here but it not only scored perfect across the board on the NHTSA’s tests but did so in the IIHS’ as well. Few if any makes and models score this well proving that the Kia Optima/Hyundai Sonata twins (close anyway ;)) are two of the safest models on the road no matter which vehicle brand they are compared against.

The Optima includes six airbags (dual advanced front and front-seat mounted side as well as full-length side curtains), front active headrests, side-impact door beams, height-adjustable front seatbelts with pre-tensioners, three-point seatbelts for all seating positions, Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children (LATCH) and a Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS). Four-wheel antilock brakes (ABS), ESC, a Traction Control System (TCS), a Brake Assist System (BAS) and Hill Assist Control (HAC) also are standard.

2011 Kia Optima at a Glance

The 2011 Kia Optima is a value busting mid-sized providign class leading crash protection and fuel eoncomy. It comes standard with equipment that you usually have to pay extra for through more expensive trim levels on other makes (ahheemm, Honda). Available in LX, EX and SX trims, the 2011 Optima offers a wide array of convenience and luxury as well as impressive technology features standard across the board including an AM/FM/CD/MP3/Sat audio system with SIRIUS Satellite Radio. Also standard on all trims are auxiliary and USB audio input jacks for connecting with MP3 players and Bluetooth wireless technology connectivity with steering wheel-mounted voice activation controls to enable hands-free operation for compatible mobile phones.

Additional standard interior features include a tilt/telescopic steering column (AT buyers only :(), power locks, windows and mirrors, sun visor extension and a cooling glove box. A 60/40 split-folding rear seat offers multiple seating and cargo arrangements and the base Optima LX with the 6-speed AT on up includes cruise control.

Available with three all-new and fuel-efficient engines, a 2.4L DI I4, a DI 2.0L I4 turbo or a 2.4L Hybrid with prices starting at just $18,995.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  2. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

What's the "starting at" price for the Sonata? 19,995? This looks like a good deal for its mechanical twin.

:( on the telescope wheel AT only. I'm 6'3" and most of that is legs. I have to choose between "knees-to-the-ears" or "hunch forward to reach the wheel" positions. I'm doing a bit of both in the Civic.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  3. FSUspectra

FSUspectra Practicing true conservatism!

Is it standard practice that ALL airbags deploy in a front-end crash with no side component? Or is this maybe due to the speed? I'm thinking of costs to repair a non-totaled car and replace that many airbags, but a hit like that would total a car regardless. (I would hope!)

Otherwise, great job, Kia!

4. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Andrew:

The 2011 Sonata GLS' starting price is $19,395 now. Too bad about the LX with a stick not having CC or telescopic wheel. That is a no go in most mid-size buyer’s book so it will be the much more expensive AT equipped variant that should be compared against other rivals on price and equipment.

Brandon, in a 35 mph head-on, all cars are done. I also do not remember seeing a 35-mph head on crash test that did not have the side and side curtains deploy. I have not watched that many however and experienced far less ;)

Wayne

5. FSUspectra

Yeah, I haven' t either. I haven't come upon that many serious wrecks in person either (Midway isn't exactly over-populated, but our section of I-10 has shown us a few). Might as well blow 'em off if the car is done anyway, right? ;)

6. aca2983

aca2983 Well-Known Member

This car is hot. It could pass for a Saab. Too big for my needs, but I like it a lot. Off topic, but speaking of Saabs and hot, the new 9-5 wagon makes me drool.

7. PaleMelanesian

Watching some head-on crash test videos, the driver's head tends to hit the frame above the door or A pillar, so it's a good thing to deploy those side airbags.

8. FSUspectra

Actually, come to think of it, I did come across a real bad wreck in town 2 months ago... Suffice to say I was first on scene (literally 3 seconds after it happened), driver hit a large tree in a (probably 2009 or 10) Mazdaspeed 3 at about 50 mph (at least) head-on. Driver was not wearing a seat belt. I had to make entry through a rear window with the axe I keep in my trunk... anyways, driver was alive, but I'll save details. Only driver airbag was blown (no passenger in the vehicle). No side or curtain airbags deployed, and I think they were standard on this car.

9. killer6795

killer6795 MazdaMiser

Yes, the MazdaSpeeds come w/standard side curtain airbags. Also, you keep an axe in your trunk? That's bad-a$$ dude. I keep a first aid kit in the glove box for such occurrences, but the having the axe is a good idea also.

10. FSUspectra

I'm a volunteer firefighter in the next county over. I'm on a sabbatical for school right now, but there is a lot of stuff I usually keep in my trunk (an FE hit I don't mind taking) including my turnout gear (helmet, coat, pants, boots, reflective vest), various tools, rope, webbing, spotlight, 2 axes (one with a sledge head), a full medical jump bag, a duffel bag with spare clean clothes, and a gallon of water.

When my pager goes off, I need to be ready to go and not have to worry about throwing things into my car and forgetting something. And there are a lot of times I'm closer to the scene (others live closer to the station that grab the trucks) and can start sizing up/preliminary actions on scene.

This was a drunk driver that almost hit me twice. I tailed them for a mile or so, before they took off... I then caught up with the wreckage. I was already on the phone with the police department when it happened... Not a fun night. :(

11. wokwithm

wokwithm Well-Known Member

Kia Optima is cheaper. But the Sonata is better looking. Optima Hybrid is definitely a great bargain if it's cheaper than the HSH. And Kia Optima looks best in Hybrid uniform.

12. wokwithm

wokwithm Well-Known Member

13. PaleMelanesian

Eh, I like the looks of the Optima. They both look good to me.

14. SentraSE-R

SentraSE-R Pishtaco

Thanks for the link. Wife & I took a test drive in the AT Optima today to compare it to her AT Elantra, & also test drove a Kia Soul for comparison to my xB. OMG, the trunk in that Optima is cavernous! We rented a Toyota Avalon in Australia for 4 adults, & the trunk was barely large enough for 4 X 24" wheelie suitcases. We could put 4 full size wheel-ons into the Optima's trunk, & its 2.4 L direct injection FE beats her 2.0 L Elantra's estimated FE by 3 mpg city, 5 mpg highway, and 3 mpg city (Optima 24/34/27 and '06 Elantra 21/29/24).

The Soul, OTOH, doesn't improve on my xB's FE at all, except for having a cushier ride. The Nissan Cube is nominally 1 mpg worse, so I'll be keeping my xB a good while longer, it seems.

The $25 prepaid card will pay for lunch & the shopping I did today ;).