GM’s Most Fuel Efficient Car Coming to Chicago

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Mar 2, 2011.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

GM’s Most Fuel Efficient Car Is Coming to Chicago

[​IMG] It’s called “ECO” and it's coming Friday.

[fimg=left][/fimg]Wayne Gerdes - CleanMPG - Mar. 2, 2011

2011 Chevrolet Cruze ECO – $18,895 to start while rated at 42 mpgUS highway… And 28/33 mpgUS city/combined but who’s counting ;)

The 2011 Chevrolet Cruze ECO’s highway numbers are not only proving that GM is back but that they are now solidly in control of the non-hybrid, C-Segment fuel economy ranks including the current sales leading Corolla (42 mpg vs. 35 mpg) by 20%! Even when compared to the mighty diesel from the likes of Audi and their A3 TDI or VW and their Jetta and Golf TDI, the Cruze Eco is in a dead heat at 42 mpg highway. A gasoline fueled non-hybrid willing to go head to head with the mighty diesel and according to the EPA, they are in a dead heat? A stunning revelation if I do say so myself!

And when in the past 40-years have we heard of GM leading the compact class fuel economy charts? I can tell you when. NEVER. It’s the dawning of a new age and GM is back with a vengeance.

How “it’s” done

GM’s best aerodynamicists were tasked with improving the aerodynamic performance of the Volt and since the Cruze is derived from the same platform, it was a 2fer.

GM’s best structural engineers were tasked with removing excess weight from the standard Cruze and 214 pounds later, job complete.

GM’s best powertrain engineers were tasked to make enhancements to the standard Cruze’s drivetrain. The Cruze ECO’s 5th gear is the same as 6th in the standard MT, the ECO’s 6th is a full 17.6% taller than the base 6th in the standard MT and the final is 2.8% taller than the standard Cruze with the MT. Yes indeed, they fixed that alright!

And finally, GM’s best fuel economy calibrators were tasked to take what was left and bury the standard Cruze’s 36 mpgUS highway rating and do so with bravado. And they did that too. :rolleyes:

[fimg=right][/fimg]The Cruze

So we know where the superb fuel economy ratings came from, what about the car itself?

A pleasant looking compact the likes we have not seen from GM in forever. Thinking back, when was the last time a compact from GM had you do a double take? The Cobalt? Not exactly? The Cavalier? Yeah, that one was outdated the day it was released. All in, the Cruze while not the class leader in interior/exterior appearance, at least is competitive with higher quality plastics on the inside then all of its competitors and the non-ECO Cruze with the 18’s looks aggressive enough to take on all comers. That is the beauty pictured to the right. -->

And the ECO? While it is not quite what I would call homely, it will not win any beauty contests in the C-Segment either. Simply chiseled to make a point while not getting in your face.

Regarding the 2011 Chevrolet Cruze’s safety characteristics which are so near and dear to my heart, the 2011 Chevrolet Cruze earned a big accolade when it achieved a first for the segment, 5-star crash test rating for front, side and overall on the new 2011 NHTSA crash tests. These are the toughest crash test ratings in the world and 5-star places you in as safe a C-Segment car as there is available anywhere!

In addition, the 2011 Chevrolet Cruze earned a Top Safety Pick from the IIHS with Good Ratings for frontal offset, side, roof crush, rear crash protection and even head restraints. Few vehicles no matter their size, cost, engineered or perceived safety, or reputation score at the top of the IIHS’ safety ratings in every single category yet the 2011 Chevrolet Cruze did.

Both the 2011 NHTSA and IIHS confirm that in terms of safety, the Cruze is in rare air and will give up its life for yours without a question or thought. I am actually quite proud of the fact that GM has earned this accolade for all our sakes.

The ECO’s Real World Fuel Economy, Ride and Handling and what can it hold… You know, the driving impressions?

Well boys and girls, we have one on its way and it is scheduled to arrive in < 40-hours.

We’ll see how this no-hold barred fuel miser from the revamped General takes on Chicago over the next week and a half and with weather conditions from yuck to worse, who knows what the Cruze ECO will provide?

No matter the outcome, it will certainly be an experience as we have been waiting for this particular fuel miser for quite some time…

2011 Chevrolet Cruze ECO Interior

The working end... And boy is it nice to see that 6-speed stick in the lower section of the center stack.​

[fflash=right][/fflash]The latest IIHS Crash Test ratings and Small Overlap Crash Test video for the 2013 and 2014 Chevrolet Cruze. While it earned the Top Safety Pick moniker, it did not perform quite good enough in the small overlap to earn the coveted Top Safety Pick + rating.

The Cruze is built from a strong, unitized body structure that incorporates high-strength steel (HSS) in key areas. Underbody main rails extend from the front of the structure all the way to the rear, further enhancing the body’s strength and stiffness. A cross-structure beam behind the instrument panel supports the body in the event of a side-impact crash.

On the passive safety front, the Cruze is the first in the C-segment to incorporate 10 standard air bags, including frontal driver and passenger, side, side curtain, rear outward seating positions and front knee air bags. Other safety features include:
    • Front passenger seat occupant sensing system and rollover sensing and protection system
    • Collapsible pedal assembly to help protect against lower-extremity injuries
    • Three-point safety belts in all five seating positions, safety belt retractor pretensioners and lap pretensioners in the driver and front-passenger positions, and safety belt load limiters (with pretensioners) in the front safety belt retractors.
    • LATCH child seat latching system in the rear seat
    • Tire pressure monitoring system , daytime running lamps and automatic headlamps
    On the active front, the Cruze includes 4-wheel ABS, Brake Assist, Electronic Stability Control and Traction Control.

GM and G. Schmitz, thanks for placing me at the top of the list for the chance to see what your best and brightest have provided to us mere mortals :)
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  2. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

So let me get this right. They still won't let you have a Volt but they'll give you a Cruze Eco to play with... in the middle of winter?? :p
  3. msirach

msirach Well-Known Member

Re: GM’s Most Fuel Efficient Car Coming to Chicago

Ok. I will start the bidding off. In lieu of the two journalists at 70 to 80 mph with AC and getting mid 40's mpg, and the other journalist trying to do better and getting 58 mpg, I think I have a decent estimate: 82.314 MPG :banane58:
  4. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

Maybe once he gives them some good press with the Cruze Eco they'll trust him with a Volt. I'm told they have some sitting around. ;)
  5. SD3_Driver

SD3_Driver Well-Known Member

looking forward to this one.... to see if i can match Wayne's .... ;)
  6. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Mike:

Hey, it is going to be in the 20's and 30's all next week with overcast skies and snow forecast for at least three days, not a perfect 75 degrees and sunny like the ECO drivers received when driving the I-5 from LA to San Diego last month. And then they got to drive brand new Camaro’s immediately afterwards. I thought I heard a few were driving Convertibles which is simply not fair :D

7. uabcar

uabcar Well-Known Member

I can't wait to hear how this test shakes out. I think GM has hit a home run with this car already (I'm seeing lots of them on the road). Adding the Eco is icing on the cake.
  8. FSUspectra

FSUspectra Practicing true conservatism!

Like Wayne said, unfortunately the weather is gonna suck while he has it... but hoping for the best... I can't wait to see what Wayne can coax out of the Cruze Eco in the last of winter's fleeting fury! :) My vote is 63 MPG. (As good a guess as any I suppose?)
  9. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

I'm going to guess at 66mpg. My guess is that Wayne won't be able to coax enough out of it in the city.
  10. JohnM

JohnM Well-Known Member

We need to know the outside temperature. We also need to know the % city and highway driving and the speed limit on the highway. At 20 degrees at 55 MPH, he will be lucky to get 60 MPG. Snow will make it worse.
  11. MaxxMPG

MaxxMPG Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

Unadjusted EPA is 37 city and 60 highway, 44 combined, so there's no reason to think that 70mpg isn't attainable if Wayne throws the book at it. With those Volt-specific FuelMax tires, it will glide as well as anything can in 20-30F winter chill.

I have been seeing unadjusted EPA on my car at 20-30F out on the highway at around 50mph on snow tires, although it takes careful DWL. Throw in P&G with a tall geared stick and you're stepping into a whole new world.
  12. cswee1932

cswee1932 Well-Known Member

Is it Friday yet?????
  13. topcfo

topcfo Well-Known Member

Quick question about NOx emission levels of ECO vs. clean diesels: Since the addition of ULSD, further catalysts, etc. and the slight rise in NOx in ECO gassers (when burning lean) which is better for the environment now? All other things being equal, like mpg now...

14. FSUspectra

FSUspectra Practicing true conservatism!

How 'bout now??? ;)
  15. cswee1932

Are we there yet?!?!?
  16. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

Let's see... He got 62.6 mpg in the overpowered and short-geared Corolla. I'm thinking Mike's on the right track. With the weather, though... I'm saying 78 mpg.
  17. PaleMelanesian

We haven't had a lean-burning gas burner since the first-gen Civic Hybrid left in 2005. You're right to ask that question. They were not clean enough and that concept was abandoned.
  18. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Actually, the first gen Insight outlived that model by one year.
  19. cswee1932

Doesn't the current civic hybrid have lean burn also? Going to look for an answer!

20. PaleMelanesian

Ah, you're right, Sean. 2006, but that was CVT-only, right? I pretty much ignored that version. ;)