Santa Fe below Hyundai's top standard

Discussion in 'Hyundai' started by atlaw4u, Feb 27, 2011.

1. atlaw4u

atlaw4u Well-Known Member

[​IMG] 20 mpg in the city and 26 mpg on the highway

[​IMG]Scott Burgess - DETROITNEWS - February 26, 2011

Compact crossovers are hot for good reasons: They provide great functional space, a higher riding position, decent gas mileage and a few truck-like characteristics without all of that pesky truckiness.

Most have smooth car-like rides out on the road due to their unibody construction, and there are plenty for consumers to choose from: the Ford Escape, the Honda CR-V, the Toyota Rav4, to name a few.

Some, like the Escape and Jeep Patriot, lean toward an SUV; others, like the CR-V and Nissan Rogue, feel more like a car.

The 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe falls somewhere in between, and not in any of the good ways. It was refreshed for the 2010 model year and will be replaced in the coming year or so. Good.

First, the Santa Fe is just homely looking. It's as if Hyundai was trying out a few design languages at the same time. The front end is curvy and round, while the back end grows bigger — a product of that rising belt line and flared fenders. Its proportions look off-balance.

Hyundai has put out some striking vehicles recently, and those cars, namely the Elantra and Sonata, make the Santa Fe look so unimpressively normal. It may not be entirely fair to draw that comparison, but who wants to catch a glimpse of HDTV and then go back to black-and-white? ... Read more...

2. cswee1932

cswee1932 Well-Known Member

My father traded in his Ridgeline last summer for one of these, I talked him into getting the 4 cylinder with AWD instead of the V6 with FWD. He travels around the northeast quite a bit, and doesn't need to ow anything, so there is no need for the V6.

Now, with the Ridgeline he swears he got maybe 1 or 2 MPG better, but he lives with his Santa Fe.

I also want to add that the Santa Fe is just as quiet as my Moms RX330, which blows both of their minds. The only time the Santa Fe is louder is when the 4cyl engine is pushed somewhat.

Overall, for the price, it was hard to beat at the time.

Just my 2 cents,

Chris