2012 BMW K1600 GT, 1600 GTL and Option Pricing

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Feb 27, 2011.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] You can buy other bikes for less but they will not provide the performance, comfort or convenience of the new BMW 1600’s.

[fimg=left]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/2012_BMW_1600_GTL_and_GT_at_rest.jpg[/fimg]Wayne Gerdes - CleanMPG - Feb. 26, 2011

2012 BMW 1600 GTL Front and center – GT behind.

BMW PR provided the BMW Motorrad pricing for the highly anticipated 2012 model year K 1600 GT and K 1600 GTL Tourers. The K 1600 GT will have a base MSRP of $20,900; while the K 1600 GTL will have a base MSRP of $23,200 plus an additional destination charge of $495. Both new models will be available for purchase through authorized BMW Motorrad USA dealers later this Spring.

Both Base models come equipped with:
    • Xenon headlight with dynamic leveling
    • Heated seat
    • Heated grips
    • Cruise control
    • Multifunction display, on-board computer and multi-controller
    • Integral ABS
    • Luggage rack
    • E-Gas throttle with three power modes
    • White LED turn signals
    • Power adjustable windshield
    The Base Model K 1600 GTL also includes:
    • Bluetooth
    • Audio system with tuner, Sirius satellite radio with one-year complimentary subscription, iPod/USB integration,
    • 3.5mm Aux input, GPS preparation
    • Top case in body color
    • Comfort backrest for top case
    • Third stop light for top case
    • Comfort windshield
    • Comfort footrests
    • Chrome body kit
    The Standard Package – only offered on the K 1600 GT – will have a MSRP of $23,045 and will include:
    • Preparation for GPS
    • ESA II (Electronic suspension adjustment II)
    • Safety package (Xenon adaptive headlight, dynamic traction control, tire pressure monitor)
    The Premium Package – available on both models – will be offered at an MSRP of $24,540 for the K 1600 GT and $25,845 for the K 1600 GTL.

Premium package equipment for the K 1600 GT includes:
    • Audio system with tuner, Sirius satellite radio with one-year complimentary subscription, iPod/USB integration, 3.5mm Aux input, GPS preparation
    • Safety package (Xenon adaptive headlight, dynamic traction control, tire pressure monitor)
    • GT Luxury Package – ESA II, power central locking system, anti-theft alarm
    Premium package equipment for the K 1600 GTL includes:
    • GTL Luxury Package – LED fog lights, ESA II, power central locking system, anti-theft alarm
    Color options for the K 1600 GT are light grey metallic and vermillion red metallic. Color options for the K 1600 GTL are royal blue metallic and mineral silver metallic.

New Benchmarks for Grand Touring Motorcycles

The 2012 BMW K 1600 GT and K 1600 GTL have set a new benchmark for grand touring motorcycles by offering the world’s most advanced technology available on two wheels. These innovations include:
    • The world’s lightest and most compact six-cylinder engine on a production motorcycle. At 226 lbs (including clutch, gearbox and alternator) and less than 22 inches wide, the six-cylinder engine in the K 1600 models is comparable in size to four-cylinder power plants.

• The world’s first Xenon adaptive headlight on a motorcycle. Innovative electronics automatically compensate for the lean angle around corners and ensure the beam of the headlight is always directed at the road ahead.

• The world’s most advanced audio and communications system on a motorcycle.

• Bluetooth for wireless communication, Sirius satellite radio with a complimentary 12-month subscription, integration for iPod, USB stick and auxiliary input, AM/FM tuner, pre-wired for Navigator 4.

• A multi-controller on the left-hand grip, which allows riders to operate the motorcycle’s systems and adjust its settings without taking their hands off the bars.
    Pre-Sale program to end this coming Monday, February 28th.

Due to extraordinary customer response, the K 1600 GT/GTL pre-sale program will end to enable BMW Motorrad retailers to fulfill pre-orders in a timely manner.

I do not think much else needs to be said. While not my kind of ride, it sure is Harry’s :)

2. wick1ert

wick1ert Well-Known Member

*drool*

When I was shopping for a touring model bike, I was really wanting to look at the BMWs. But, there weren't any dealers local to me, so I ended up with the Harley Street Glide. Either way, I think price-wise, I ended up with a better deal. At the very least, I can ride for more than 10 minutes without my back and tail-bone killing me, which is what happened with the Sportster I had before - that lasted about 8 months, but served its purpose of a starter bike for me.

3. Earthling

Earthling Trying to be kind to Mother Earth

Wayne, nice write-up. While I'm not sure it would be my first choice of ride, I am fascinated by this new bike, especially in how in compares to the GoldWing.

[flash]http://www.youtube.com/v/l96hsKvDW7w&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3[/flash]

This new BMW would be a bit heavy, at 703 lbs., but keep in mind, this is 200 lbs. lighter than a GoldWing!

http://powersports.honda.com/2010/gold-wing/specifications.aspx

There is a bit of hooligan in every motorcyclist, and this bike from BMW makes the GoldWing look like an old guy's rocking chair.

Harry

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  4. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

The BMW K 1600 GT just received Cycle World’s Ten Best Award for Best Sport-Touring Bike...

I would not want to ride one given the weight and poor FE but there are plenty of riders that just eat this stuff up.

Wayne