New Mobil “Super” Family of Synthetic Motor Oil

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Feb 27, 2011.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] The latest Super Synthetic is slightly more accommodating for tomorrow’s cars than the Mobil1 0W-20 we are familiar with today.

[fimg=left]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/Mobil_Super_Family_of_Motor_Oils.jpg[/fimg]Wayne Gerdes - CleanMPG - Feb. 26, 2011

The Mobil Super, Super High Mileage and Super Synthetic family.

The Mobil Super Family of Motor Oils are formulated to help reduce wear, prevent sludge and extend engine life. Backed by the Mobil Super Engine Guarantee, the Mobil Super family of products is designed to help cars run longer and better.

Mobil Super is already a successful brand marketed by ExxonMobil in Europe, Asia and Latin America, and it will now be available to drivers in the United States. The new line of automotive engine oils are appearing on retail shelves as I type.

The Mobil Super family includes three products, allowing consumers to choose the right one for their particular needs:
    • Mobil Super: A premium conventional motor oil that helps extend engine life by preventing sludge and reducing wear. Mobil Super is guaranteed to deliver proven protection for up to 5,000 miles between oil changes and features extra cleaning additives. It is available in 5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30 and 10W-40 viscosities.

• Mobil Super High Mileage: Specifically designed to help extend engine life in higher-mileage vehicles, this motor oil combines sludge prevention and wear protection with anti-oxidants that help to reduce oil breakdown. Mobil Super High Mileage is also formulated with a seal conditioner to help prevent leaks and reduce oil consumption. It is available in 5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30 and 10W-40 viscosities.

• Mobil Super Synthetic: A full synthetic motor oil that is proven to outperform Mobil-branded conventional and synthetic-blend motor oils to help extend engine life by delivering outstanding protection in high temperatures, along with the sludge prevention and wear protection properties. It is available in 0W-20, 5W-20, 5W-30 and 10W-30 viscosities.
    0W-20 vs. 0W-20

While the entire Mobil Super family is interesting for any number of applications, what we are mainly interested in is the 0W-20 Viscosity offerings. And there are two. One from the latest release and the tried and true Mobil1 Advanced Fuel Economy Synthetic we have seen on retailer shelves…Every once in a great while ;)

What makes the Super Synthetic 0W-20 a more suitable choice is that it meets or exceeds the latest ILSAC GF-5 standard for today’s and tomorrow’s cars and trucks that are specified to use 5W-20 or 0W-20. The older formulation, Mobil 1 Advanced Formula 0W-20 while recommended for Ford, Honda, Toyota, Mazda, Mitsubishi and Chrysler vehicles, is only ILSAC GF-4 rated.

Regarding the working side of the two 0W-20 formulations, The Advanced Fuel Economy does have a lower pour point then the Super Synthetic (- 53 degrees F vs. - 44 degrees F) while their kinematic viscosities (read FE enhancement capability) are only .1 Centistokes (cST) different at both 40 degrees C and 100 degrees C. That is indistinguishable where it counts. Meaning at the pump.

2. owlmaster08

owlmaster08 Well-Known Member

So for your average use they are pretty much the same? The super is only more future proof?

3. FSUspectra

FSUspectra Practicing true conservatism!

Basically. It appears that instead of bring the Advanced Fuel Economy 0w-20 and others up to current standards, they made a new oil with a new name. Apparently, the original Mobil1 is still the superior oil, and the Super Synthetic (notice it is just Mobil, not Mobil1) just meets new industry standards. Super 5000 replaces Clean 5000 (discontinued) and Super High mileage replaces Clean High Mileage (discontinued).

To quote from the Mobil website FAQ:

I rarely buy Mobil1 anyways, as there are many great oils for less dollars.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  4. wokwithm

wokwithm Well-Known Member

Hopefully the Super Synthetic are cheaper. Hopefully it comes in 5-quart Jug.

5. FSUspectra

I'm guessing as it was with the Advanced Fuel Economy 0W-20, it won't be available in 5qt jugs... maybe in gallons, but most likely quarts only... we'll see I guess.

6. xcel

Hi All:

Guess what some Wal-Mart’s are finally carrying?

[​IMG]

5-qt. containers of Mobil1 0W-20​

This is the latest ILSAC GF-5 formulation and Wal-Mart has it in 5-qt. sizes for just $24.50 per container!

So I bought up the two they had on the shelf of course and changed the oil in the wife’s MDX with 4 quarts ;)

Wayne

7. FSUspectra

:eek::eek: I don't believe my eyes! I guess I'll be making a trip to Wally World soon... :rolleyes:

8. xcel

Hi Brandon:

I was surprised too! Not only that they had the latest ILSAC GF-5 0W-20 in stock but that they had both quarts for $6.27 a piece and for the first item, a 5-quart container of the same!

Wayne

9. Kacey Green

Kacey Green Well-Known Member

finally, though I'll still need to pre-measure before leaving my car with my boys, unless I get the HCHIII & it takes 4 qts

10. Kacey Green

Kacey Green Well-Known Member

at 20% now, which will come first oil change or new car, hmm...

though it will depend on both pricing and availability

if I can't afford it, I can't get one
    if there aren't any out there, I also can't have one

here's hoping the price point hasn't moved much

11. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

I wonder if this will be more widely available at Walmart than the original 0W-20?

12. diamondlarry

diamondlarry Super MPG Man/god :D

*drools all over keyboard at 5-qt container of Mobil1 0W-20* *swears under breath as his local Walmart doesn't have any in stock*:p:D