Want an Electric Car Like the Nissan Leaf? Prepare to Wait

Discussion in 'Nissan' started by msirach, Feb 23, 2011.

1. msirach

msirach Well-Known Member

[​IMG] Nissan has become a victim of its own successes

[FIMG=RIGHT]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/2011_Nissan_LEAF3.jpg[/FIMG]Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield - ALLCARSELECTRIC - February 22, 2011

Nissan is beginning to lose face. Suspense and anticipation is being replaced by anxiety and suspicion. --Ed.

You’ve seen the adverts, been to the test-drive and placed down a $99 deposit for Nissan’s all-electric Leaf. Of course, there’s something you probably weren’t told about at the time of reserving a place in the queue. Patience.

Save for a few hundred lucky individuals, the Nissan North America roll out of the 2011 Leaf has been a bit of a disaster.

Maybe we’re being harsh. For the earliest of the early adopters, Nissan has delivered on its promise. A reliable family car which seats five and realistically delivers at least 73 miles per charge.

For those unlucky enough to be fast off the block with pre-orders however, the wait is agonising and doesn’t show any immediate sign of getting better.

Worst still, Nissan’s initial hopeful prediction that all of the Leafs ordered last year would be in owners hands by the summer has now slipped back to the start of fall, with many would-be owners not even knowing who their dealer will be or when their car will arrive. ... [RM]http://www.allcarselectric.com/blog/1055738_want-an-electric-car-like-the-nissan-leaf-prepare-to-wait?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+AllCarsElectric+(All+Cars+Electric)[/RM]

2. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Well, I'm not quite ready to order and definitely prepared to wait. I wonder how much more of the population is in the same boat?

3. herm

herm Well-Known Member

There are many companies doing aftermarket conversions for those that cannot wait.. tough cookies!

4. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

Get ready for a wave of excited buyers in April.

Even with the care being taken, once the Japanese subsidies have run out there'll be far more of the cars coming to the USA.

5. atlaw4u

atlaw4u Well-Known Member

I placed a deposit early and I don't mind the wait. In fact, the wait will probably help me a bit as I'm not fully ready to take ownership of this time.

6. killer6795

killer6795 MazdaMiser

If ever there was a group of people who can exercise patience, it’s the potential EV buyer. We’ve been waiting this long, what’s a couple more months going harm?

How many years have we been waiting for efficient vehicles that rival European models? How long have we been waiting for HP wars to be replaced with MPG wars? How long have we been waiting for cars to get smaller, lighter, safer and more efficient?

Sadly, we know how to exercise patience all too well.:rolleyes:

7. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

While the wait may or may not be excruciating, what concerns me more than anything is the quick pace of change and how that may affect residuals for the early adopters. Just like the Volt, doing the math yields a $33,000 car at most, not a $41,000 vehicle. The $33K LEAF is a Versa platform with a very expensive upfront cost as well. Love em but I am afraid the first buyers are going to find residuals hurting with the next generation and the next generation after that hitting the streets over the years at ever lower prices.

Wayne

8. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

After all that has happened (and is still happening!) to Japan, how much longer will everyone have to wait? Will Nissan be back on track by the time Ford brings its Focus to market?

9. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

I think the crux would be whether they would be able to make denser batteries in the same form factor in the future. If they did that, then the hit would just be the battery depreciation rather than the limitation. For this generation of buyers, the tax credit helps offset the high battery cost and the credit would disappear for later buyers.